Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Trade in jeep for fuel economy? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/trade-in-jeep-for-fuel-economy-242054.html)

JeepGuy94 05-11-2013 10:24 PM

Trade in jeep for fuel economy?

Hey guys as you all know the Jeep wranglers aren't the best on gas. Im averaging around 18 city and highway. I do a lot of highway driving for school and work and I've been saving my money for a 2013 gecko green rubicon. But Ive been looking around and went and test drove a 2013 Focus ST. Gets around 34 on the highway and has 252HP from Fords Ecoboost engine. Don't have enough money to have both at the same time so what do you guys think? Should I leave the jeep world for a couple years or stick it through? I only have about another year and a half of school left but after that I might still be traveling

traitor08 05-11-2013 10:27 PM

If you bring up a ford, let alone a focus. Do us all a favor and don't buy a jeep.

fredbama 05-11-2013 10:28 PM

Only you can make that call. Jeeps are a way of life for some and simple pleasure for others. Mines a daily driver but I'm only 10 miles from work. If I had a much longer commute would i have chosen the Jeep? Good question.........

JVLemur 05-11-2013 10:31 PM

Hey man, you gotta do what you gotta do, I'm averaging 14.5mpg and I wouldn't trade my jeep for mpgs but that's me, I have a buddy who passed on a jeep and got a fiesta instead 41mpg(so he says) and some 190hp, he's happy, I drive my sisters yota every now and again and I can't see how I would trade into something like that. Don't let anyone tell you to do one thing or another, it's your decision and what's best for you. If you decide to go the focus way, you'll be back and everyone will welcome you back to the jeep world.

JeepGuy94 05-11-2013 10:31 PM

Im not saying I hate my Jeep or the Jeep family. I love the community and everyone that owns one. Im just saying that I'm driving 550 miles one way just to get to school and traveling more to go to work while I'm there

fredbama 05-11-2013 10:34 PM

Well said JVLemur. To each his own.

JeepGuy94 05-11-2013 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone for y'alls opinion. I still owe money on my jeep and i might sell it to my brother so it can still stay in the family :P

jadmt 05-11-2013 10:38 PM

Be honest with yourself. Do you really use a jeep like a jeep should be used? If not buy a vehicle that is going to fit your needs best. any jackwad who would suggest otherwise probably lives at home with his parents and will be the first loose the jeep when he has to move out on his own lol. I have only been on this forum 6 or 7 months and I have seen the most "loyal died in the wool wrangler lovers" end up selling or trading on an econo or sport car after a few months lol. a month before they bailed they were bad mouthing anybody who brought up that they were thinking of getting rid of thier jeep.

jkjeeper06 05-11-2013 10:39 PM

Don't get a focus. At the end of the day it looks almost identical to all other focuses. And...it's a focus. If I were to get a hatchback it'd be the one that started the sporty hatchback... The VW GTI. At the end of THAT day it's a race inspired German vehicle that just plain looks better and drives better. Nothing better. I don't mean to hate on the ST. It is a good car, but I suggest you drive a GTI and maybe a Mazda speed 3 so you can get a feel for the 3 major sporty hatchbacks and see what you like

I've driven both the ford ST and GTI and owned an VW with the 2.0T and 6spd that the GTI has and it was fenomenal(my brother still owns it at 170k)

That said, I'd never trade in the jeep for either, or anything I can think of right now. Keep in mind you should be running super in both engines which is 10-15% more expensive which negates some of the gas mileage. And they are fun to hammer the gas which kills your mileage(motortrend averaged 23mpg on their extended test and bested at ~28 ).

The jeep is the most fun vehicle you can legally enjoy. It's worth paying a little more for gas

RevCo666 05-11-2013 10:40 PM

What about keeping the jeep(weekend warrior) and invest in a little crapper as your daily driver that wont set you back?

jkjeeper06 05-11-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3746096)
What about keeping the jeep(weekend warrior) and invest in a little crapper as your daily driver that wont set you back?

Great idea! You can pick up a cheap focus and slam that with miles. Or get a beater convertible like a Sebring or mustang so you can keep the convertible feature

JeepGuy94 05-11-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3746096)

Not too bad of an idea but i need to pay off my jeep first haha. Im not making that much money yet but I'm getting there!

jkjeeper06 05-11-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGuy94 (Post 3746119)

Not too bad of an idea but i need to pay off my jeep first haha. Im not making that much money yet but I'm getting there!

In your sig it says you're running 33's. Why not pick up a set of the 29's on steelies. They are only worth $200 or so. When I had those on my jeep I was getting over 20 mpg with my 3.8 6 speed. You can have those for highway driving and then save your 33's for trails

Thegame 05-11-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

I know it's kind of off topic but how often have you driven your rwd jeep in the snow and how has it faired?

legitposter 05-11-2013 11:02 PM

The Ford is a smart buy. We're not just talking mpg, we're also talking reliability and a cozy piece of mind.

But the exhilaration (that I know I get) when you hop into the wrangler will be gone. If you don't mind that then by all means do the smart thing and get the Focus.

As the saying goes 'you gotta pay to play'. If the play isn't worth it anymore to you then you won't be happy if you keep paying for it.

JeepGuy94 05-11-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thegame (Post 3746150)

I know it's kind of off topic but how often have you driven your rwd jeep in the snow and how has it faired?

Never driven in the snow but in the mud I never gotten stuck yet. Crawls very nice for a 2wd

dawhitesJKU 05-11-2013 11:17 PM

I drive roughly 30 miles a day for work. Those 30 miles driving in a jeep cannot be replicated in another vehicle. It's more joy for some apparent reason. Ever since I owned my jeep, I registered my other vehicle as "non operational"

RevCo666 05-11-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Thats what we do in our household. Girlfriend owns a little potiac wave and I'm the work horse :) Tho when winter hits around here, I do more driving for obvious reasons.

JeepGuy94 05-11-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3746210)

Thats what we do in our household. Girlfriend owns a little potiac wave and I'm the work horse :) Tho when winter hits around here, I do more driving for obvious reasons.

Same here. Girlfriends trying to get the 2014 compass but now shes driving an 04 lancer haha

RevCo666 05-11-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGuy94 (Post 3746236)
Same here. Girlfriends trying to get the 2014 compass but now shes driving an 04 lancer haha

Well I really hope you can find a happy medium without losing your jeep. I've always been one to make sure I can outright buy my past and present vehicles even if used is my only option (no offence to anyone who buys new and does the payment plan) but I feel more comfortable with not bitting more then I can chew. Especially with todays economy. Again, this is just my personal way of thinking and not directed to anyone for the record.

Old Dogger 05-12-2013 12:17 AM

Unless you want to show us your income statement, verses living expenses, WHICH I DON'T ADVISE THAT YOU SHOULD, then only you can make that decision!!!
It is really hard to enjoy anything in life, if you are living from payday to payday. I am not saying that you are, but rather that was just a example of what not to do.
I was there in life once and it really isn't any fun!!!

iNizo 05-12-2013 12:50 AM

As said- Get a GTI , GTI has its own lifestyle and you can mod as you want... I drive both but when I go to my garage for a trip I just open the Jeep driver door and say to myself heck I love the jeep because the GTI is dirty and I take care of the jeep more (its my toy)..

But seriously the new GTI is a mean car if you want something sport.

iNizo 05-12-2013 12:54 AM

Oh I should say that if and when I drive my stage 3+ GTI (350HP) I get lower MPG than the jeep- go figure that out..

DallasJKU 05-12-2013 01:39 AM

You will be bored with the Focus in less than a year!! Jeep is never boring!!

Billy Baldone 05-12-2013 01:57 AM

If you are going that route go drive a Mazdaspeed 3, if you don't like it, then go GTi. I think the Focus is way overpriced when you start adding equipment. Also, my wife had a Mini Cooper S convertible a few years ago, crazy fun to drive, and they hold their value. It has been 5 plus years between Jeeps for me, and I have no regrets, I filled the void with a Mustang GT convt in there, and 3 different Miatas. Good luck, eventually you will be back.

n00g7 05-12-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08 (Post 3746051)
If you bring up a ford, let alone a focus. Do us all a favor and don't buy a jeep.

Really? A Wrangler is THE ONLY Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM vehicle worth owning. Ford owns them in every category.

To the people suggesting he gets a GTI, why? The Focus ST is the more reliable car and just as, if not more fun. Personally, I'd have to go with the BRZ or FRS for RWD if you don't need the space of the ST. The traction control on the GTI is garbage for having fun compared to the BRZ/FRS and ST.

Between a GTI and ST, I'm going with the ST. Could also spend more and get the Golf R, which I would drive over the ST and BRZ/FRS.

Blackened 05-12-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3746487)
Really? A Wrangler is THE ONLY Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM vehicle worth owning. Ford owns them in every category.

Agreed

UCFWils85 05-12-2013 06:27 AM

If your primary purpose for this vehicle will be long daily commutes, then get a car instead of a Jeep. I love my Wrangler but if I had a long daily commute then I would trade it in for a better mpg car.

But I would suggest you look at other options than the Focus. Too pricy for what you get IMO. Take a look at the VW TDI series of cars; they average 45 mpg and are really well made.

xzy 05-12-2013 07:11 AM

If I were you I would look at the bigger picture, and money/security is a big part of that. If you don't have money to burn sell the Jeep. Pay off the loan and buy a good used affordable car that gets no less than 45 mpg. It might be cheaper in the long run to buy something new. You need to do the math.

When you're a little older and more financially stable you can order a new Jeep if you want. The key is to make smart decisions now so you'll be better off down the road. Sounds like you're going to have a good future. Sell the Jeep and be smart with your money. That's what I'd do....

Strokerswild 05-12-2013 07:25 AM

Based on what I've read, the Focus ST is the better, harder-edged car for enthusiast use. The local Ford dealer has one on the lot and I've thought about stopping by an taking it for a drive just for kicks.

GTIs are great too though. The only thing to watch for there is if you go with the DSG trans, expensive services every 40K. My wife has a Tiguan and it's a hoot, basically a a GTI on stilts with AWD.