Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Bounced the gas pretty hard... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/bounced-the-gas-pretty-hard-242072.html)

n00g7 05-12-2013 01:53 AM

Bounced the gas pretty hard...
 
and heard a "snapping" sound. Went and hit my rear tire carrier some, didn't make the same noise. Inspected control arm mounts in the rear, nada. Inspected U-joints for drive shaft, nada. Didn't get too far under there, but sway bar connections looked OK too.

I don't have the front sway bar connected so the frame is pretty mobile, I'm thinking there was just some slip or movement in the springs that made the noise.

Anything else I should look at? Going to take it easy for a bit on-road but drive over some stuff to determine whether it was nothing or if something arises.

geiman 05-12-2013 08:21 AM

Were you on or off road? A snapping sound to me typically means something like an axle shaft, or in my case the other weekend, broken spider gears. Axle shafts are fairly easy to figure out.

When my spider gears broke it was confusing at first since I heard a loud snapping on the obstacle, but after backing off the noise was gone. When moving and turning you could hear the gears clicking at which point it was obvious the problem.

But those are just two possibilities, could be just about anything.

n00g7 05-12-2013 09:59 AM

Nothing turning, no pull when accelerating. Will see how it tracks on my way to work later.

269jeep 05-12-2013 01:01 PM

Check your motor mounts... I broke a stock one last year during hard acceleration on the road.

n00g7 05-12-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 269jeep (Post 3747464)
Check your motor mounts... I broke a stock one last year during hard acceleration on the road.

Those look good, as do the transmission mounting points

cixpak88 05-12-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 3746751)
Were you on or off road? A snapping sound to me typically means something like an axle shaft, or in my case the other weekend, broken spider gears. Axle shafts are fairly easy to figure out.

When my spider gears broke it was confusing at first since I heard a loud snapping on the obstacle, but after backing off the noise was gone. When moving and turning you could hear the gears clicking at which point it was obvious the problem.

But those are just two possibilities, could be just about anything.

X2

Kind of need to know what you were doing when you heard the sound. When I had open diffs, I busted the teeth off two of my spider gears and it sounded similar to what you're describing. I was trying to get up a pretty tough obstacle on the rocks at the time.

n00g7 05-12-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cixpak88 (Post 3747792)
X2

Kind of need to know what you were doing when you heard the sound. When I had open diffs, I busted the teeth off two of my spider gears and it sounded similar to what you're describing. I was trying to get up a pretty tough obstacle on the rocks at the time.


Started going, typical ped couldn't make up his mind, let off the gas, was like wtf? And then hammered the gas again.

No play in the shaft, I have the rubi so LSD in the rear. Don't know if that would make a difference. It seems to drive just fine ( I have a slight vibration in the wheel from 45-50, probably need to rebalance and rotate but I'm looking for an excuse to get new wheels and tires). I guess I won't find out about any broken tooth until I pull the diff cover off in a year or more.

geiman 05-12-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3747871)
I guess I won't find out about any broken tooth until I pull the diff cover off in a year or more.

For me, after we heard the noise and figured it had to be in the differential, we pulled the cover to see how bad it was. There were a couple of teeth on the spider gears that were chipped, however none were completely broken. We got everything buttoned back up and I drove it straight home, taking the most straight roads I could to avoid turning. By the time I got home, the spider gears looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/tbUk8od.jpg

The side gears had started to crack as well, a few more miles and I'm sure they would have self-destructed.

If you have broken teeth on the spider gears you should be able to hear it when you turn (put your window down to make sure), there's no hiding it. If you can turn in a circle and not hear any clicking (or worse) coming from the differential, then you should be able to cross that off your list.

n00g7 05-12-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 3747940)
For me, after we heard the noise and figured it had to be in the differential, we pulled the cover to see how bad it was. There were a couple of teeth on the spider gears that were chipped, however none were completely broken. We got everything buttoned back up and I drove it straight home, taking the most straight roads I could to avoid turning. By the time I got home, the spider gears looked like this:

The side gears had started to crack as well, a few more miles and I'm sure they would have self-destructed.

If you have broken teeth on the spider gears you should be able to hear it when you turn (put your window down to make sure), there's no hiding it. If you can turn in a circle and not hear any clicking (or worse) coming from the differential, then you should be able to cross that off your list.

Ouch, yeah I did several fast circles in each direction on full lock, nothing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.