Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Virginia Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f74/)
-   -   Dyno Max Legal in VA? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f74/dyno-max-legal-in-va-242083.html)

danrb 05-12-2013 08:49 AM

Dyno Max Legal in VA?

I want to change out my muffler with a dynomax rock crawler, but the laws in VA are sometimes difficult to figure out.

"such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment."

How do you determine if it is comparable?

Gladi8r 05-12-2013 01:49 PM

Dan so as long as it is a catback system you'll be fine...Mine is an axle back system; essentially all I did was replace the muffler...

Reaper2332 05-12-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrb (Post 3746705)
I want to change out my muffler with a dynomax rock crawler, but the laws in VA are sometimes difficult to figure out.

"such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment."

How do you determine if it is comparable?

I believe the only reason this was written was because of the fast and the furious. As long as it isn't really loud I don't think you will have problems with it. Also you might want to make sure you pass emissions with your new one as well if required.

Jer91 05-12-2013 06:37 PM

I know a man who runs a muffler shop and he told me that any exhaust other than stock factory equipment is illegal in Virginia. With that said, it will still pass inspection even if it is illegal. A police officer can pull you over if he thinks your exhaust is too loud and if you have any exhaust that is not stock he can give you a ticket for altering you original equipment.

Reaper2332 05-12-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jer91 (Post 3748042)
I know a man who runs a muffler shop and he told me that any exhaust other than stock factory equipment is illegal in Virginia. With that said, it will still pass inspection even if it is illegal. A police officer can pull you over if he thinks your exhaust is too loud and if you have any exhaust that is not stock he can give you a ticket for altering you original equipment.

I'm not disagreeing with you, isn't it stupid how you can lift your jeep and put aftermarket bumpers and tires ect. But you cant change the exhaust. Virginia sucks haha

danrb 05-12-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper2332 (Post 3748252)
I'm not disagreeing with you, isn't it stupid how you can lift your jeep and put aftermarket bumpers and tires ect. But you cant change the exhaust. Virginia sucks haha

That's the problem with this law is the ambiguity in it. You can read it as must be an exact match or similar properties. If you fixed up a jeep before moving here, do you have to put a factory muffler on it? I can't believe this law has been upheld by the courts.

Jer91 05-12-2013 08:48 PM

Yea Virginia pretty well sucks. Haha the laws part of it anyway

BigDaddyAt 05-13-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jer91 (Post 3748454)
Yea Virginia pretty well sucks. Haha the laws part of it anyway

Could be worse, you could have to deal with MD laws. Lived there for many years. it's so bad, the person I bought mine from had to put on extended flares, and had to put these dumb looking little mud flaps on it every year just to pass inspection (then remove them until the next year...).

Jer91 05-13-2013 02:05 PM

Man that sounds rough. Glad we don't have to do that