Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Demented thoughts of buying a JK lately. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/demented-thoughts-of-buying-a-jk-lately-242090.html)

dklassen 05-12-2013 09:46 AM

Demented thoughts of buying a JK lately.
 
Here's the deal. I have real nice 2006 TJ, 4.0, 6 speed, 75K miles with a few goodies bolted on. It's basically my weekend fun machine. During the week I commute in a 2010 Honda Civic about 25 miles each way to work (boring!). I thought to myself, if I sell the TJ and the Honda (both paid for) I could walk in and pay cash for a new JK and make it my daily driver. I would need an automatic as a DD. I dig the 6 speed but I sit in too much traffic each day and I would end up hating a manual.

Thing is I really like my TJ. I hear people say the TJ was the last real Jeep and I tend to feel that way. JK's are nice but when I see them I just don't get real excited. Most of the Wrangler two doors I see running around that really look good to me are all bad ass looking TJ's. The JK's look a little dull even the lifted one's with larger tires (no offense to JK owners).

I thought to myself, why not just take the TJ in, have a qualified 4x4 shop to a V8 / Auto conversion and make it a DD for me. Or.. maybe just convert it to an automatic and make it a DD. Looked at some options from Novak but given I don't have the knowledge, tools or facilities to do a swap myself it could get pretty pricy.

Not sure which way to go. Maybe just swallow my pride and buy a mall crawler and put big tires on it. <sigh>

http://dklassen.smugmug.com/Cars/Jee...DSC_6336-L.jpg

http://dklassen.smugmug.com/Cars/Jee...DSC_6342-L.jpg

Wranglin4Life 05-12-2013 10:17 AM

Whats wrong with the current setup? Seems like a pretty god way to go about it. Similar to mine. I roll in a 2010 Corolla every day. My YJ is the weekend warrior

dklassen 05-12-2013 10:29 AM

Nothing at all actually and I've certainly thought about that. I guess the thought of having a brand new Jeep and being able to drive it everyday is tempting. Might be better to just leave it as a weekend warrior. That way I appreciate it all the more after driving the roller skate all week.

PHILDABEAST 05-12-2013 12:18 PM

Lol. I've spent all week talking myself out of trading in the lj and the wifes car for the 10th anniversary rubi sitting at the stealership.

DurbJKU 05-12-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dklassen (Post 3746820)
Here's the deal. I have real nice 2006 TJ, 4.0, 6 speed, 75K miles with a few goodies bolted on. It's basically my weekend fun machine. During the week I commute in a 2010 Honda Civic about 25 miles each way to work (boring!). I thought to myself, if I sell the TJ and the Honda (both paid for) I could walk in and pay cash for a new JK and make it my daily driver. I would need an automatic as a DD. I dig the 6 speed but I sit in too much traffic each day and I would end up hating a manual.

Thing is I really like my TJ. I hear people say the TJ was the last real Jeep and I tend to feel that way. JK's are nice but when I see them I just don't get real excited. Most of the Wrangler two doors I see running around that really look good to me are all bad ass looking TJ's. The JK's look a little dull even the lifted one's with larger tires (no offense to JK owners).

I thought to myself, why not just take the TJ in, have a qualified 4x4 shop to a V8 / Auto conversion and make it a DD for me. Or.. maybe just convert it to an automatic and make it a DD. Looked at some options from Novak but given I don't have the knowledge, tools or facilities to do a swap myself it could get pretty pricy.

Not sure which way to go. Maybe just swallow my pride and buy a mall crawler and put big tires on it. <sigh>

Mall crawler... Mmm my stock sport jku was driving circles around a yj that got stuck behind me. (all while I was yelling over the cb "how do you like my minivan now") you can call them a mall crawlers all you want, I comfortably drive 2.5 hours and then off roaded. So obviously I vote for the jk.

sinbob 05-12-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life (Post 3746890)
Whats wrong with the current setup? Seems like a pretty god way to go about it. Similar to mine. I roll in a 2010 Corolla every day. My YJ is the weekend warrior

x2:thumb:

My TJ is my DD I commute about 16 miles 1 way 6x a week. I have the 6sp but I only use 4 gears....and yeah it can be tiring sometimes but what the heck.....there is nothing sweeter than driving with the top and doors off:thumb::D....just my .02

It is your dime and you have to do what makes YOU happy!!!!!!!

oh and that is a good looking TJ!!!!!

PaulisTJ 05-12-2013 12:29 PM

Mean looking TJ. You could just keep your 4.0 and swap in a aw-4 from an xj. I thought about doing this but its out of my price range. Got quoted around 3000+ I don't have the elusive money tree that everyone seems to have in their back yard.
On a side note what kind of flare are those? are they plastic like bushwhacker or xenon? or are they metal?

dklassen 05-12-2013 07:06 PM

Thanks for the complements. I really like my TJ a lot. I'll have to decide what I want to do but it wouldn't be easy to give it up even for a new JK. I'd probably be better served just keeping it. The TJ is a great platform, not that the JK isn't but there just something about TJ's I like. Regarding the flairs, they are xenon's.

Detrubicon 05-12-2013 07:18 PM

I just drove my new lifted JKU 4000 miles. 15 highway and 13 local. Took it on the beach drove it in the Orlando and off roaded in the George Washington NF all in the same trip with a 5 year old and a 1 year old and weren't ready to kill each other at the end of it. Do that in your TJ.

dklassen 05-12-2013 07:47 PM

It's just me and the wife. :D I'm more of a two door guy when it comes to a Wrangler. My Honda is a 4 door and my wife's Liberty is a 4 door. That's as close as I'll get. Course if I had a stable of kids it may be different.

SurfKaster 05-12-2013 07:58 PM

As much as I love my TJ I'll go against the grain & say go for it. Kind of the best of both worlds far as a DD & you'll have one less vehicle to maintain/pay insurance for.

jp2611 05-12-2013 08:11 PM

I understand your being "torn". I got "lucky", my wife needed a new vehicle and agreed a '12 JK Sport would be a nice change from her Camry......The JK does get better gas mileage on the highway (than the TJ).....is easier to drive in traffic as it is an automatic.....has more creature comforts and the SAT radio is nice...but I have a hard time getting past taking a brand new vehicle out in the woods in this area...it is gonna get scratched and probably dented....and may get broke...and yeah its a Jeep and can be fixed....but maybe it is like if I want to have a crazy party where things are going to get broke and things may get damaged it is not gonna be at my house it is gonna be somewhere that is equipped to handle that (like a reception hall) and that I don't care if it gets hurt...yeah that is what my '04 TJ Sport is for....I may break it off road but I won't beat on a "brand new Jeep" like I will one that is 9 years old with a 160K miles..even though it is my DD...but we do have a 3rd vehicle for emergency use. :D

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 05-12-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life (Post 3746890)
Whats wrong with the current setup? Seems like a pretty god way to go about it. Similar to mine. I roll in a 2010 Corolla every day. My YJ is the weekend warrior

+1

From where i'm sitting you got a good thing going OP...fun on the weekends and good mpg for the daily grind. Even with the 3.6 pentastar you won't get good mileage maybe very low 20's if you drive slow. The engine isn't the problem it's the brick that surrounds it...same goes for the I6. If it was me i'd either stay as is or sell the civic to mod the TJ then stash the rest.

88irocz 05-12-2013 08:12 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I have an 04 that I'm in love with. It was the best I can afford and I too felt I like the tjs better then the jks. Though, one of my friends just got a 13 jk rubi and its really growing on me. Im basically trying to convince myself that I like my tj better but the jks just have so many improvements over the tjs. When I have the money to afford a jk I'm going to have a difficult decision :(

TJmama 05-12-2013 08:13 PM

So here is my 2 cents worth...I just purchased our 7th jeep Friday ( 1 CJ8, 2 YJs, 2 previous TJs and 1 diesel Libby)...my "new" one is a 2006 TJ with the 6 speed which is now my DD(which I will drive happily for 27 miles to work) mom mobile and weekend offroader. Now-for the real 2 cents...I owned the Libby for 6 years and loved it. And still regret selling for a "practical and safe mom car". If you love the TJ whether you make it a DD or not -don't sell. If you feel you can live without it, sell and buy the new one. I looked at the new jeep and agree its not a TJ so I bought what I think will make selling the Libby worth it.

n00g7 05-12-2013 08:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
At least wait for the next gen wrangler to come out.

Jgood738 05-12-2013 08:34 PM

Trading in that beautiful TJ for a vehicle that "you don't get real excited for" will lead to regret.

jimmy_buckle 05-12-2013 09:04 PM

that argument is only valid if you actually have kids....

jimmy_buckle 05-12-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrubicon (Post 3748137)
I just drove my new lifted JKU 4000 miles. 15 highway and 13 local. Took it on the beach drove it in the Orlando and off roaded in the George Washington NF all in the same trip with a 5 year old and a 1 year old and weren't ready to kill each other at the end of it. Do that in your TJ.

That argument is only valid if you actually have kids

ohioviper 05-13-2013 01:01 AM

For what its worth I have both a TJ and a JK in the driveway. The TJ is my sons and sometimes we trade if he needs to go on a long trip as the JK can giddy up and go on the freeway and rides nice and most of all is reliable. I am very happy to get my JK back and he is not so happy to get the TJ back.Offroad the JK will go anywhere the TJ will and then some. The TJ just feels dated and doesn't even compare to the JK.

Go test drive the JK and I doubt you will want the TJ anymore.

n00g7 05-13-2013 01:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3749421)
For what its worth I have both a TJ and a JK in the driveway. The TJ is my sons and sometimes we trade if he needs to go on a long trip as the JK can giddy up and go on the freeway and rides nice and most of all is reliable. I am very happy to get my JK back and he is not so happy to get the TJ back.Offroad the JK will go anywhere the TJ will and then some. The TJ just feels dated and doesn't even compare to the JK.

Go test drive the JK and I doubt you will want the TJ anymore.

I had my pick of the litter and went with a TJ. The JK didn't excite me... sure it's newer, but I wanted something with less electronic nannying--ABS, drive by wire, etc., etc.,--and the I6. To each his own.

ohioviper 05-13-2013 05:05 AM

Hey there are guys who go from JK to TJ and vice versus . Its all preferences. For me I want a nice looking DD Jeep that has plenty of HP and modern comforts that can take me anywhere my old Jeeps would and the JK is up to the task. I couldnt imagine going back to a TJ after owning this JK .

dklassen 05-13-2013 09:08 AM

My dilemma is I like my TJ because it drives and feels like a Jeep. It's a little ruff around the edges and I like that. The JK although very nice especially as a DD feels too much like my wife's libby. Smooth and comfy for sure but a bit too refined to feel like a "jeep." That's not necessarily a bad thing depending on what one wants. That's what I'm trying to decide now.

Kind of like trucks are today. I want at truck that feels like a truck not a car. New trucks these days are just cars with beds.

Jeffreybomb 05-13-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgood738 (Post 3748394)
Trading in that beautiful TJ for a vehicle that "you don't get real excited for" will lead to regret.

Of all the opinions in this thread, I think this one is the most spot-on.

TJmama 05-13-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybomb (Post 3750497)

Of all the opinions in this thread, I think this one is the most spot-on.

Agreed!

SHADYDC 05-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dklassen (Post 3750108)
My dilemma is I like my TJ because it drives and feels like a Jeep. It's a little ruff around the edges and I like that. The JK although very nice especially as a DD feels too much like my wife's libby. Smooth and comfy for sure but a bit too refined to feel like a "jeep." That's not necessarily a bad thing depending on what one wants. That's what I'm trying to decide now.

Kind of like trucks are today. I want at truck that feels like a truck not a car. New trucks these days are just cars with beds.

i know exactly what you mean. when i bought a new truck i went w/ f-350 because it still fels like a truck and has the fancy BS on it lol. also i wanted a jeep that still felt like my old cj-7 i sold last year. i could have bought tj or jk and i chose the tj. i drive it 25 miles to work, i say keep the tj and civic. thats a good combo to have

bigcountry11 05-13-2013 03:41 PM

Too bad you don't want a manual JK, otherwise I'd trade you. :P

dklassen 05-14-2013 11:33 AM

Just out of curiosity, I got a quote to do a turn-key manual to auto tranny swap for my TJ. $4K Includes new tranny all parts and labor. I know they do top quality work though. I guess that's the price of not having a shop, tools and the knowledge.

http://www.essentiallyoffroad.com/

n00g7 05-14-2013 11:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dklassen (Post 3754532)
Just out of curiosity, I got a quote to do a turn-key manual to auto tranny swap for my TJ. $4K Includes new tranny all parts and labor. I know they do top quality work though. I guess that's the price of not having a shop, tools and the knowledge.

Home

I don't get the big deal with driving a manual in traffic... you just let the engine carry you along without using any gas in 1st - 4th depending on how slow it is. I find traffic substantially more annoying when I have to keep my foot on the brake to keep from moving with an automatic and not having the direct coupling of the engine to the tranny.

dklassen 05-14-2013 12:11 PM

It's really not that big a deal... If the traffic moves at a constant speed. It tends to be a lot of stop and go here and it's a royal pain in the ass sometimes. I should of probably bought an auto to begin with but given I'm considering a DD it changes things. Plus it's hard to find a low milage TJ around here for a good price. Most of them here are pretty clapped out. I got a good one and haven't seen one since that comes close. Just considering my options.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.