Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Ox Help Asap (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/ox-help-asap-242114.html)

chrisfp88 05-12-2013 10:49 AM

Ox Help Asap

Ok so I need to do diff service on my rig after breaking in new gears. The rear was easy as it is a stock Dana 44. However, my front is a ProRock 44 with an Ox Locker and Cover. There is no drain plug on the front at all. So I have to remove the cover. My question is do I need to remove the cable first? or can I remove the whole cover as one unit? I know I will need to apply gasket maker I'm just making sure there are no tricks. :thumb:

Sinister6 05-12-2013 11:10 AM

Chris. I would try Google or OX website...

chrisfp88 05-12-2013 11:11 AM

I did. Neither revealed any info.

Sinister6 05-12-2013 11:16 AM

You try YouTube? My guess is that if there are no special instructions on the website... Probably straightforward

chrisfp88 05-12-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3747200)
You try YouTube? My guess is that if there are no special instructions on the website... Probably straightforward

ya no luck. I'm just gonna remove the cover with the cable still attached.

Sinister6 05-12-2013 02:00 PM

Well, how'd that work for you?

JPi4.0 05-12-2013 02:04 PM

You should be able to remove it with everything hooked up. The shift fork may not clear the carrier before the cover hits the tierod. If the cover hits the tire rod you will have to unhook one side of your tie rod.

I do not know any of this from experience. Just things I've seen here and there.

chrisfp88 05-13-2013 01:04 PM

Got it done. Didnt pull cable but did have to drop drivers side tie rod end. Thanks

JFjeld 05-13-2013 03:34 PM

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yes, you can remove the cover with the cable; just be sure to pull the cover straight back so you don't damage the shift fork. It'll be a nice challenge getting the cover back on without smearing all of your RTV.

But...you're certain you don't have a drain plug? Because I've got drain plugs in both my D30 and my D44 OX covers; I just changed fluids over the weekend so I'm familiar. Both are recessed and only noticeable if you look up. They are Allen head.

Dude...I would double-check on the drain plug situation. OX specifically designed the covers so you DON'T have to remove them for gear oil changes. Now you'll likely have to readjust your cables...

chrisfp88 05-13-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFjeld (Post 3751353)
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yes, you can remove the cover with the cable; just be sure to pull the cover straight back so you don't damage the shift fork. It'll be a nice challenge getting the cover back on without smearing all of your RTV.

But...you're certain you don't have a drain plug? Because I've got drain plugs in both my D30 and my D44 OX covers; I just changed fluids over the weekend so I'm familiar. Both are recessed and only noticeable if you look up. They are Allen head.

Dude...I would double-check on the drain plug situation. OX specifically designed the covers so you DON'T have to remove them for gear oil changes. Now you'll likely have to readjust your cables...

I pulled it last night and left the cable in the cover we had 2 guys so we were able to move the cover without applying any tension and hardly any twisting of the cable. My rear Ox cover does have a drain plug, but the front is a custom one they just started making for a Dynatrac ProRock 44 and has no drain plug. I used the switch this morning before coming to work and all seemed to function just fine as far as engagement. However I did not have time to actually turn tires to check, so I will check that tonight. I think we are ok though. Thanks :thumb:

jeepchix 05-14-2013 06:53 PM

Woudnt have this problem if you had an arb!:whistling:(inside joke)