Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Felt Sorry today.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/felt-sorry-today-242139.html)

Chrimbler 05-12-2013 01:39 PM

Felt Sorry today....

...for some early 20's guy lifting his 2 kids out of their car seats from some non-descript grey car, while his wife was giving him heck for something. I pull up in my Jeep, top down, doors off, enjoying the sun.
He gave me a look that said "I want to be you!!"

gr8fulKID 05-12-2013 01:45 PM

Thanks for reminding me not to have kids until im at least 30!

Chrimbler 05-12-2013 01:48 PM

I did it early, mine are all grown up now and I'm only 43. :punk:

Dare 05-12-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrimbler (Post 3747560)

X2:thumb:

n00g7 05-12-2013 01:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm not allowing myself to have kids until I have a ski-boat. As the politicians say, FOUR MORE YEARS!

n00g7 05-12-2013 01:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrimbler (Post 3747560)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare (Post 3747580)
X2:thumb:

Awesome, props to ya'll, but NFW would I want a kid right now. If I was a cop, yeah, I suppose I could have a kid though cause I couldn't do any of the dumb crap I do now anyways.

RevCo666 05-12-2013 02:02 PM

Alot of my friends who have children envy me as I have none (out of choice). I helped raise all my 6 nieces and nephews(I know its not the same as your own but it did fill a void). Sometimes I wonder if life would of been different if I decided to have kids (good old what if...) but I am happy the way things of gone about and the freedom to choose your own lifestyle and not let that choose you depending on the choices we all make in life. Kudo's to those who did have kids, as I do hold much respect to those who have. All I know is that my 3 year old cat is my baby and I know I can leave her alone for the day and not have too many worries while wheeling about :)

legitposter 05-12-2013 03:05 PM

The type of story the OP described is why my wife and I are sold on never having kids. She might change her mind some day but our biological clocks are ticking away pretty quickly :whistling:

We ain't spring chickens anymore, if ya know what I mean.

ohioviper 05-12-2013 04:17 PM

Having kids is the greatest accomplishment in life.No amount of wealth or material things will make you feel better than the feeling you get standing there looking at your family. I married at 19 with a baby on the way. Everyone said it wouldnt last. 23 years later I am still married to my wonderful wife and I have a 22 yo daughter and son-in law and a 20 yo son in college and a 8 month old grand baby boy that I wouldnt trade anything for.

Yea it was hard when we started out we didnt have squat I was that guy in the grey car but years of hard work and I have almost anything a man could want plus my family.Lifes short and even shorter for some. You never know how many years your gonna have here so make the most of it and dont wait on material things to start a family. I have a friend who always said he wouldnt have kids ect ect. Well now he has 2 little ones at age 46 and they wear his as out and now he has some serious health issues and is afraid he is not going to live long enough to raise them. I also have some serious health issues but I have some peace of mind as mine are raised and I have fulfilled my part so I am good to check out when ever the good lord deems it time.

So yea you may have felt sorry for him and he may have well been sitting there thinking he would like to be you but in 20 years the tables will turn.He will be pulling up in his new Jeep and a sense of accomplishment you will never know.

Big Fran 05-12-2013 04:29 PM

LOL, I was that guy 26 years ago the op speaks of. I would be pulling our son out of my rusty Chevy Vega and I saw young guys with cool rides all the time and thought, Why not me? My son is 26 now with a house nicer then mine and my wife and I get along better now then we did back then. In 3 more days we will be married for 27 years. I got myself a new JKU 2 weeks ago to celebrate!!!

Chrimbler 05-12-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3747842)
So yea you may have felt sorry for him and he may have well been sitting there thinking he would like to be you but in 20 years the tables will turn.He will be pulling up in his new Jeep and a sense of accomplishment you will never know.

Ummmmm, did you miss the part where I said my kids were all grown up??....

RevCo666 05-12-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrimbler (Post 3747929)

Yeah, I think he did :)

legitposter 05-12-2013 05:21 PM

The 'level' of JK seems to directly correlate to the chance of a wave?

It's interesting.. It seems like the more 'basic' a Wrangler is, the more willing and happy to wave the owner is. And of course vice versa.

1. Sport owners - Seem to always wave, some of them VERY enthusiastically.
2. Sahara/Special Edition owners - More than likely to wave
3. Highly modified JK owners - 50/50 shot at a wave
4. Rubicon owners - Rarely waves

Do some higher level JK owners just look down on the more basic of JKs? Or does a higher JK simply correlate to the owner's income level and that is what affects the chances of giving waves out?

Perhaps we can all chime in with our reasons.

Tweak 05-12-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3747995)
It's interesting.. It seems like the more 'basic' a Wrangler is, the more willing and happy to wave the owner is. And of course vice versa.

Do some higher level JK owners just look down on the more basic of JKs? Or does a higher JK simply correlate to the owner's income level and that is what affects the chances of giving waves out?

I wave at everything with a jeep logo and a solid front axle. I usually can tell beforehand who is going to wave with one look at the person driving it.

RevCo666 05-12-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

I'm at a loss what your post has to do with this thread...? There is a thread on the "the Jeep Wave being dead" or something like that.

Pennsyman 05-12-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3747842)
Having kids is the greatest accomplishment in life.No amount of wealth or material things will make you feel better than the feeling you get standing there looking at your family. I married at 19 with a baby on the way. Everyone said it wouldnt last. 23 years later I am still married to my wonderful wife and I have a 22 yo daughter and son-in law and a 20 yo son in college and a 8 month old grand baby boy that I wouldnt trade anything for.

Yea it was hard when we started out we didnt have squat I was that guy in the grey car but years of hard work and I have almost anything a man could want plus my family.Lifes short and even shorter for some. You never know how many years your gonna have here so make the most of it and dont wait on material things to start a family. I have a friend who always said he wouldnt have kids ect ect. Well now he has 2 little ones at age 46 and they wear his as out and now he has some serious health issues and is afraid he is not going to live long enough to raise them. I also have some serious health issues but I have some peace of mind as mine are raised and I have fulfilled my part so I am good to check out when ever the good lord deems it time.

Hey Viper....good to hear that you are a proud Dad and all...but face the fact that not everyone feels like you do...
As for a "sense of accomplishment"....yeah, I guess so....but is having a kid or several really an accomplishment? Fulfillment maybe...

FIREMIA 05-12-2013 05:42 PM

We all have great accomplishments in life but I think better phrased is, what's your legacy after your mere 80 years on this sphere? Several things can be but nothing will make a greater lasting impact then the continuation of your family tree. 2nd Sahara I've owned, 39. Dates wife since 14. Married since 21. First of 3 kids at 27. Fireman(love helping people and getting dirty and bloody while doing it) and I still get that look from guys all the time. Many younger than me. It's not age or children. It's an attitude. And that's what I love about jeep owners and this forum. Free spirits. Peace.

10Anvil 05-12-2013 05:44 PM

Kids are awesome, the ups and downs are part of life. I have two car seats taking up the rear seats of my JKU.

It is really difficult to understand the pleasure of kids until you have them. Most who don't have them express their joy of not being burdened by them, they just don't get it. You have to live it to understand.

RevCo666 05-12-2013 05:54 PM

One of my friends who let me test drive his 2009 4dr JK before I bought my TJ (just to get a feel of what a jeep is all about) had to sell his jeep recently because he is expecting his 3rd daughter in a few months (not enough room for 3 car seats) when I asked him last month where the JK was... He was quite sad about it BUT said when the time comes, he's getting back in the saddle when the kids don't require the car seats anymore...

10Anvil 05-12-2013 06:13 PM

3 kids was his problem. That is van territory. 2 kids lets you fit in most any car as long as it isn't a 2 seater.

n00g7 05-12-2013 06:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

As a TJ owner... solid front gets a wave unless I'm sensing they're a Monday. But I keep my arm ready for action just in case. One exception: I don't wave at jeeps with stupid wheels.

JK owners are poor wavers here in the bay area, maybe 4/10.
CJ-7 -- all.
YJ/TJ -- 8 or 9 / 10.

Seems like all the JK owners keep their windows up and AC on too. If it's not warm/or really hot and the windows are down/no top/safari top it's about 100% for those folk (but they're rarely driving a JK).

I too don't see how this is relevant, but the kids discussion needed to be lightened up.

10Anvil 05-12-2013 06:27 PM

I've been a JKU owner for a few days. All of the folks on post I've come across (military) have waved. None of the folks off post have waved.

I'm a harley owner so I'm always prepared for 'the wave'.

JEEPbug 05-12-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

X2!! Lot of jeeps in the Chicagoland area and I have noticed this same thing!

JEEPbug 05-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3748134)

As a TJ owner... solid front gets a wave unless I'm sensing they're a Monday. But I keep my arm ready for action just in case. One exception: I don't wave at jeeps with stupid wheels.

JK owners are poor wavers here in the bay area, maybe 4/10.
CJ-7 -- all.
YJ/TJ -- 8 or 9 / 10.

Seems like all the JK owners keep their windows up and AC on too. If it's not warm/or really hot and the windows are down/no top/safari top it's about 100% for those folk (but they're rarely driving a JK).

I too don't see how this is relevant, but the kids discussion needed to be lightened up.

I'm sorry...."Monday"?

n00g7 05-12-2013 06:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPbug (Post 3748188)
I'm sorry...."Monday"?

when someone comes into work on a monday and they're really pissed off.
"say lawrence when you go into work on a monday and your not feeling too good does anyone ever say to you sounds like a case of the monday's?""no, no man, shit no, i reckon you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that.

In a bad mood... they're like you feel when you have to go to work on monday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guv5LUT1AFw

Ponderosa 05-12-2013 07:35 PM

I had my first kid at 47. I had the toys first, then the kids and now I have both together along with the maturity that made me a whole lot better parent than I would have been in my 20s.

Nano 05-12-2013 07:39 PM

As for the kid thing. I'm just living my life the way it's playing out. My father wasn't a father, he wasn't there, my mom worked her arse off to raise two kids. My sister has two kids with a good husband and a cute dog, an adorable family. I've done what my father couldn't, by keeping it in my pants. I'm not avoiding women, I'm just not chasing everything under the sun. If I find a good woman, then I may become a father, whether mine or not. For now, I have an awesome dog, great family & friends, a good house, and my dream job.

As for all the money I'm not spending on a good woman, I've got a modified TJ Sport and a stock JKU Rubicon. If I see a Wrangler, I wave. If I notice a modified XJ, I'll wave back.

JEEPbug 05-12-2013 07:49 PM

"Monday".... Got it. Hadn't heard that one before.

ohioviper 05-12-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrimbler (Post 3747929)

Sorry man I didnt. Nobody told me when I got older my eyes would get bad and my testosterone levels would drop and I would get all sentimental and gushy and go off on rants about how much I love my family.:hide:

JeepBugs7 05-13-2013 01:02 PM

I waited until my 2 kids were older and I had a little more discretionary income before getting my Jeep. As far as having kids, sometimes I feel that the joy they bring is worth the trouble. Sometimes I'm not so sure. Anyway, the only advice I would offer is that if you and your spouse really want kids then do it. If neither one is sure, then I'd suggest not having kids. It is a LOT of work!!