Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Front driveshaft bent, need advice please. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/front-driveshaft-bent-need-advice-please-242150.html)

groovetrain 05-12-2013 02:49 PM

Front driveshaft bent, need advice please.

My front drive shaft is pretty badly bowed, I think the PO set it down on a rock or something... Anyway, I'm looking for some advice: Is this something I should get bent back straight, or should I buy a new drive shaft (is this what I need?), or should I buy something used? What would be worth it here?

But the question still I wonder about: Will only a 1995 drive shaft fit my 1995? I know they changed some u-joints in the drive train on 1995's, and was wondering if I could pick up any stock 1991-1995 with manual and 4.0, or and even broader range?

Thanks!

YJ fanatic 05-12-2013 03:57 PM

79 Attachment(s)
I bent mine last year, and as long as you only use it off-road at low speeds, a bent one works. You can get a new one, but I would recommend just trying to find a good used one. Any front shaft from a YJ with a 4.0l and AX15 will work. They didn't change the u-joint size on the driveshafts, just the axle shafts. I found one locally on craigslist for $40 and it was balanced and everything.

sinbob 05-12-2013 04:03 PM

Good reason to upgrade:thumb: If you got the money Tom Woods is the place......when mine went that is what I did....but I also do a lot of rock crawling and needed the extra strength.

95YamJam 05-12-2013 05:39 PM

Find a used one or a local driveline place can make a beefy one pretty cheap.

YJ fanatic 05-12-2013 06:29 PM

79 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YamJam (Post 3748049)
Find a used one or a local driveline place can make a beefy one pretty cheap.

They can probably retube your bent one too. I got estimates on retubing mine when I bent it, and it was about $120-140 for new tube, u-joints, and balancing.

StanF 05-13-2013 07:26 AM

Another option (if your local shop is terribly expensive like mine) is to just buy a completely new shaft for about $200. Either Tom Woods or Quadratec has them available at that price.

My slip joint was worn, and my local shop wanted $350. I won't be visiting them again :rolleyes:

groovetrain 05-13-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ fanatic (Post 3747803)
I bent mine last year, and as long as you only use it off-road at low speeds, a bent one works.

Thing is, we have snow 4.5 months out of the year here, and even going at 25-30 mph gives a nasty shake. Plus, it's bowed enough so that it hits the exhaust pipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbob
Good reason to upgrade If you got the money Tom Woods is the place......when mine went that is what I did

I may end up doing this, but $200 compared to one for $20 I found on CL...

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ fanatic
They can probably retube your bent one too. I got estimates on retubing mine when I bent it, and it was about $120-140 for new tube, u-joints, and balancing.

I didn't even know this was an option, I'll look into this as well.

Thanks all for the help. I think I'll snag the one I found on CL locally for $20, and call it a day. Eventually I'd really like to upgrade, maybe after this one gets bent! haha