Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Engine swap on my yj (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/engine-swap-on-my-yj-242157.html)

Jrgarcia715 05-12-2013 03:36 PM

Engine swap on my yj

I have a 1989 wrangler yj with a 2.5l engine. Currently that engine is going to crap. I've been considering my choices and have thought about a engine swap. What I wanted to know from you guys is how hard would it be to drop a 4.7l stroker engine in it and what all would I have to do

Jrgarcia715 05-12-2013 03:38 PM

Also it's a 5 speed manual trans

RESCUE_K9 05-14-2013 08:52 PM

Im looking at the same from what I hear its just the computer and the rest is bolt in no real changes.

c5wagner 05-15-2013 04:03 PM

Engine swapping is fairly easy with a YJ depending on where you live. I swapped a chevy v8 into mine a while back and it was pretty straight forward, but I live in california and had to make it stock again to pass smog. It really sucks because the chevy engine bumped my gas mileage up significantly from my 4.2l POS stock engine, and the greater horsepower and torque were wonderfull. Just get the ECU programmed, any needed adapters (advanced adapters or novak adapters), wire harnesses, etc. When I leave CA, I'll put the v8 in again.

roadyrob 05-15-2013 05:23 PM

with you having a 4cyl. quite a bit will have to be changed. motor mounts will have to be cut off and new ones welded in. your transmission will have to be changed, most use the ax 15, then your transfer case will need the input shaft changed to work with the ax 15. then cpu and wiring for the 6cyl.

Jrgarcia715 05-15-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c5wagner (Post 3758780)
Engine swapping is fairly easy with a YJ depending on where you live. I swapped a chevy v8 into mine a while back and it was pretty straight forward, but I live in california and had to make it stock again to pass smog. It really sucks because the chevy engine bumped my gas mileage up significantly from my 4.2l POS stock engine, and the greater horsepower and torque were wonderfull. Just get the ECU programmed, any needed adapters (advanced adapters or novak adapters), wire harnesses, etc. When I leave CA, I'll put the v8 in again.

For sure ya I have a guy that'll smog it under the table

Jrgarcia715 05-15-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadyrob (Post 3759018)
with you having a 4cyl. quite a bit will have to be changed. motor mounts will have to be cut off and new ones welded in. your transmission will have to be changed, most use the ax 15, then your transfer case will need the input shaft changed to work with the ax 15. then cpu and wiring for the 6cyl.

So how much do you think I'm looking at besides the engine

c5wagner 05-16-2013 07:49 PM

My cost were petty decent
Engine $800
Transmission with adapters/shifter $900
Ecu/reprogramming $200
Wire harness for easy hookup $200
Engine mounts were custom made with some scrap metal I had/bushings $20
All new gauges ran about $100
I never hooked up all the ac stuff so that would've ran me around $500
Custom length drive shafts were $500 front and rear

It's not exactly cheap, but well worth it. I probably could've went cheaper but this was all junk yard stuff anyway