Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Riding with my dogs? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/riding-with-my-dogs-242201.html)

gregsjeep13 05-12-2013 06:59 PM

Riding with my dogs?

I am a little worried that one of my dogs will jump out of the jeep with the top down. Do they make some nets or some other type of restraint that will keep the dogs in? Thanks.

PHILDABEAST 05-12-2013 07:10 PM

There are several options out there. Try Googleing jeep cargo nets and you should be able to find one you like. Fwiw one of our dogs is small and it seems like most but not all (depends on what model jeep you have) of the nets out there left gaps big enough for a small dog to get through so we ended up having to make our own.

RevCo666 05-12-2013 07:13 PM

Another option I've seen is having your pet on a harness with leach attached somewhere centralized in the jeep. I do that with my cat lol She hates getting in the jeep but 2 minutes later she's loving the ride in the back hehehe

PHILDABEAST 05-12-2013 07:15 PM

↑ yep, I totally forgot to mention harnesses. Probably the cheaper route as well

RevCo666 05-12-2013 07:18 PM

IF I had the choice of cargo net, I would go with this one if you don't have a softop of course...

C.RES Systems Cargo Nets - Smittybilt

jp2611 05-12-2013 07:21 PM

I understand your concern...IMO the Harness is best option and can be made more "permanent". It can be mounted where the factory seat belt goes in the center off the tub...and if not too long no chance of the dog getting out or "pinned" under the Jeep in the case of an accident...if net is only thing keeping them in place they can go ANYWHERE in the event of an accident...if in a Harness most likely will just get bruised and sore where the "doggy seatbelt" (harness) restrained them

flflash 05-12-2013 07:32 PM

My dog loves riding in the Jeep and I had the same concerns he's a 90lb Boxer and you just cant grab him to stop him from going overboard. We use a regular dog harness not a collar and attach it by a short leash to an eye bolt I attached to the center seatbelt buckle bolt. He's been riding this way over a couple years and we've never had a problem......except everytime he hears me pick up the keys he wont let me out of the house without him.

rgroesbeck1 05-12-2013 07:44 PM

Harness. In every vehicle. Every time you put the dog in the vehicle. No matter what the vehicle, the dog and you can be injured if you stop suddenly/strike something and the unrestrained dog becomes a projectile. Additional concern with the open top vehicle is the dog just jumping out -- they really don't understand or perceive speed. Don't even get me started about people who put them in the beds of trucks unrestrainded.

Yes, I am an animal lover and do volunteer work for a no-kill shelter.

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 05-12-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flflash (Post 3748388)
except everytime he hears me pick up the keys he wont let me out of the house without him.

Same here :rofl: I'm like dude i'm going to work you can't come..

OP if you get a harness use carabiners...the crap that they come will snap in an accident even with a small dog. I have the rear seat out and loop it on the roll bar in between the sound bar speakers or the rear seat bracket. I only use it on the highway and when he's my wheelin buddy.

As for jumping out it depends on how smart the dog is and their energy level. My rott doesn't jump but he's smart and old.

Atthehop 05-12-2013 07:50 PM

I use this for my dog. It's a law in NJ that your pet must be restraind in a vehicle or they can ticket you. And if you do not and the pet gets injured you can be cited for animal abuse.

Ruff Rider | Dog Seatbelts | Car Safety Harnesses and Pet Safety

01TJ60 05-12-2013 07:51 PM

Gregsjeep13,

Have to ask, is that French Brittany Spaniel?

flflash 05-12-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 3748461)
I use this for my dog. It's a law in NJ that your pet must be restraind in a vehicle or they can ticket you. And if you do not and the pet gets injured you can be cited for animal abuse.

Ruff Rider | Dog Seatbelts | Car Safety Harnesses and Pet Safety

Thanks for posting that I'm going to upgrade Buster's current harness I've always had a concern as to just how strong it is especially the buckle parts.

Atthehop 05-12-2013 07:57 PM

And definitely use carabiners to hook the harness to the seatbelt or tie down loop.

flflash 05-12-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn (Post 3748449)
Same here :rofl: I'm like dude i'm going to work you can't come..

Yep when a 90lb Boxer grabs your pant leg or blocks the doorway it's a problem, I take him alot of places even to work occasionaly. Some people are afraid or concerned when they first see him but after they met him they relize he's just a big loveable dog. He looks like Marmaduke if you remember him? and folks get a kick out of that, very few realize what breed of dog he is.

MarkGLHS 05-13-2013 02:29 AM

if your dog has a very strong urge to jump out then yes you really should use a tethered harness. but if your dog is like mine and does not have such urges and you want additional protection/containment for him then cargo area netting is a great idea. I went with Raingler Netting.

http://carphotos3.cardomain.com/imag...9129_large.jpg

Wattapunk 05-13-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3748347)
IF I had the choice of cargo net, I would go with this one if you don't have a softop of course...

C.RES Systems Cargo Nets - Smittybilt

This would work also with a softtop. You can just undo the clips from the sides/rear tub and let it hang. Softtop will close but I found it better to run the CRES with a safari top.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/...0991/50160.jpg

DocterWrangler 05-13-2013 06:56 AM

I bought a leash from petsmart that has a seatbelt clip on one end and a clip to attach to her collar on the other end. I believe it was about 15 bucks and it works perfectly.

homebrwd 05-13-2013 07:58 AM

I use the spiderwebshade cage and bungee attached the upper roll bar to their harness. Also look into Doggles to protect their eyes from debris.

If you look in this pic Fergus is rocking his doggles and you can see the bungee coming down from the roll bar.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...psd8531d36.jpg

flash1034 05-13-2013 09:23 AM

Can you believe Smittybilt doesn't make a cage for LJs? That sucks.

Flash

viperx6x9x 05-13-2013 10:38 AM

I have been researching the net for a while. Found a few options so far.

dirtydog4x4.com
raingler.com
safaristraps.com
jeepcargonet.com

They are all kinda pricy and I don't know which holds up best. I have seen the jeepcargonet one on a buddy's JK and it looked pretty solid.

As for restraints I use a version or that ruff ryder harness for road trips but it takes a while to get that one on and adjusted. So for quick rides, I use their walking harness.

For both setups I got those thick velcro Husky straps wrapped around the rollbar. They have a hinged carribeaner style metal clip attached that you just clip the harness leashes into. Easy to grab when it's time to get them out of the vehicle.

I was thinking about the ones that actually clip into the seatbelt, as they look the safest way to not give them enough runway to jump out. But my dogs are too smart for their own good and can already push the button on the seatbelt. So that option is out for me.

mrk130 05-13-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3748326)
Another option I've seen is having your pet on a harness with leach attached somewhere centralized in the jeep. I do that with my cat lol She hates getting in the jeep but 2 minutes later she's loving the ride in the back hehehe

Your cat like to ride in your Jeep? Mine can't stand leaving the house.

RevCo666 05-13-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk130 (Post 3750483)
Your cat like to ride in your Jeep? Mine can't stand leaving the house.

I know its odd. At first she's like NO I DON'T WANT TO GO IN THAT THING!! and then after buckling up her harness and leach up, she's all over in the back or on the passenger seat just having a great time. Mind you, I've conditioned my cat into thinking she's a dog. (I love psychology lol) She fetches, likes being taken for walks around the building, even responds to hand and verbal commands. I owned dogs before and to be honest she's the best cat/dog I've owned hehehehe Also, I appreciate the most is her ears as I'm hearing impaired and she kinda acts like a guide animal to a certain degree(when her ears peak up in a direction, I know something is going on).

Atthehop 05-13-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3750542)
I know its odd. At first she's like NO I DON'T WANT TO GO IN THAT THING!! and then after buckling up her harness and leach up, she's all over in the back or on the passenger seat just having a great time. Mind you, I've conditioned my cat into thinking she's a dog. (I love psychology lol) She fetches, likes being taken for walks around the building, even responds to hand and verbal commands. I owned dogs before and to be honest she's the best cat/dog I've owned hehehehe Also, I appreciate the most is her ears as I'm hearing impaired and she kinda acts like a guide animal to a certain degree(when her ears peak up in a direction, I know something is going on).

Service Cats. Sounds like a new industry to start up. Let me see if I can find some backers. LOL

RevCo666 05-13-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 3750653)
Service Cats. Sounds like a new industry to start up. Let me see if I can find some backers. LOL

I'd get a service dog BUT the landlord doesn't allow dogs in the apartment, no yard thats fenced in either :( and I would have to find a new home for Cosmo which at this point is a big no. I acutally use to hate cats until I adopted her from a local farm at 7 months old. She's gonna be 3 in September. Best pet/companion ever owned to date.

mrk130 05-13-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3750663)

I'd get a service dog BUT the landlord doesn't allow dogs in the apartment, no yard thats fenced in either :( and I would have to find a new home for Cosmo which at this point is a big no. I acutally use to hate cats until I adopted her from a local farm at 7 months old. She's gonna be 3 in September. Best pet/companion ever owned to date.

Cats are better pets than people think. But the fact that you have trained it is remarkable. Most of them have no desire to do what you want them too. They can be too independent for that. When I put a leash on my cat, she just squats down and doesn't move. She hates it.

RevCo666 05-13-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk130 (Post 3751178)
Cats are better pets than people think. But the fact that you have trained it is remarkable. Most of them have no desire to do what you want them too. They can be too independent for that. When I put a leash on my cat, she just squats down and doesn't move. She hates it.

I wish I would of had her as a kitten, then she'd be really well trained but yeah it takes time/patience to train a cat. Its all about positive conditioning! Treats help too lol Unfortunately she's still shy when new people come into the apt but we can't have it all...

gregsjeep13 05-13-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TJ60 (Post 3748463)
Gregsjeep13,

Have to ask, is that French Brittany Spaniel?

Not sure. My wife found him on petfinder.com. Birth certificate just said Brittany. Someone wrote notorious puppy mill on the birth certificate. Craziest dog I have ever had. Great dog but, nuts for sure. Even with all the trouble he has caused we are thinking of getting another Brittany?? Maybe we are the ones who are nuts.

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 05-13-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrwd (Post 3750079)
I use the spiderwebshade cage and bungee attached the upper roll bar to their harness. Also look into Doggles to protect their eyes from debris.

I was looking for a product just like those thanks for the recommendation. My dog can't stick his head out past 40ish mph because the wind hurts his eyes...he'll love those.

homebrwd 05-14-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn (Post 3752863)
I was looking for a product just like those thanks for the recommendation. My dog can't stick his head out past 40ish mph because the wind hurts his eyes...he'll love those.

They take some getting used to for the dogs. I wouldn't put them on indoors as they are pretty tinted. We started by putting them on and going for a walk and Fergus got used to them pretty quick and loves them.

thgr8alex 05-14-2013 06:48 PM

Today i went to the store to get a harness for "Lola" so she wouldnt choke herself leaning out the window and i used just a standard old leash and tied it to the seat belt buckle clamp under the seat in the rear and ran it through the seat crack and hooked to her new harness. Its tge PERFECT length where her feet can go on the wheel well hump and no farther, just enough to stick her nose in the wind. Also she can put her front feet on the center console to give me a kiss haha. it works fantastic!! The leash is now tied up and out of the way ready for next use. If anyones interested in pics just let me know! I also found out that me maybe wanting to monstaline my interior this summer just became a definite because her toenails have already started scratching those wheel well humps. Haha