Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Looking for a swing out tire carrier for stock bumper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/looking-for-a-swing-out-tire-carrier-for-stock-bumper-242225.html)

conwaymac 05-12-2013 09:14 PM

Looking for a swing out tire carrier for stock bumper

Can anyone recommend a swing out tire carrier that would mount to a stock JK bumper?? I need something that will support a 35" tire and stock rim..:rolleyes:

river2c 05-12-2013 09:24 PM

The Teraflex tire carrier doesn't mount to the stock bumper but it's lightweight and can carry a 35" tire no problem. It allows you to open the rear tailgate just like stock. It also allows you to add an aftermarket bumper later.

jwilson2598 05-12-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by river2c (Post 3748623)
The Teraflex tire carrier doesn't mount to the stock bumper but it's lightweight and can carry a 35" tire no problem. It allows you to open the rear tailgate just like stock. It also allows you to add an aftermarket bumper later.

X2, very happy with mine. I also wanted the tire to site low, so I could still use my back window, which the TF setup lets me do.

Riccochet 05-13-2013 05:39 AM

Or Paramount Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier for a tad under $500.

Dunkin_D 05-13-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riccochet (Post 3749824)
Or Paramount Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier for a tad under $500.

Do you have a link?

Riccochet 05-13-2013 07:55 AM

It's this bumper:

Paramount Restyling Heavy-Duty Rock Crawler Bumper 51-0315 on eBay!

But, you can get it cheaper from Jeep Wrangler Accessories such as Jeep tops, winches, fender flares from manufactures such as BesTop, Rugged Ridge, ARB, OR Fab, Rampage and Smittybilt You need to call them and ask for it. Mention Wrangler Forum. It's not listed on their site. I just bought mine from them.

Tagg 05-13-2013 08:04 AM

Paramount Restyling Bumper. Call Chris @ jeepaddons.com . 1-800-388-8637 ext. 1884. Great to Deal with. :thumb:

Dunkin_D 05-13-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riccochet (Post 3749959)
It's this bumper:

Paramount Restyling Heavy-Duty Rock Crawler Bumper 51-0315 on eBay!

But, you can get it cheaper from Jeep Wrangler Accessories such as Jeep tops, winches, fender flares from manufactures such as BesTop, Rugged Ridge, ARB, OR Fab, Rampage and Smittybilt You need to call them and ask for it. Mention Wrangler Forum. It's not listed on their site. I just bought mine from them.

Thank you - I am going to look into that. A few questions - What did you do about the 3rd brake light and how much did you get it for?

Tagg 05-13-2013 08:40 AM

Well the 3rd Brake light is another story. I fabricated a 3/4" square tubing from the top of the tire carrier about 6" long to a 1/8" flat plate. Then disconnected the in tailgate brake light wiring and spliced a wire into it at the inside passenger side rear of jeep. Run the spliced wire down to the right rear tail light assembly area and drilled a 1/2" hole thru the base of the tub below the tail light. Installed a rubber grommet in this new hole. Then, if you are installing the Paramount Restyling Rear bumper, I drilled a 5/8" hole thru the bumper between the tire carrier post and tub. Routed the wire thru the holes and drilled 3 - 5/8" holes in tire carrier assembly to route the wires to the newly installed 3 rd brake light plate. Installed a Red LED light and it works. On mine I also installed another reverse light on the same plate above the spare tire. Hopefully this makes some sense. :dance:

Riccochet 05-13-2013 12:48 PM

I'm not using the third brake light yet. Going to get the Body Armor kit.

Body Armor JK-5120 3rd Brake Light Kit Black

As for the bumper, I paid $476 shipped. But I also bought a front bumper from them as well. Came out to a little over $800 shipped for both. Can't beat that.

Wingsnut72 05-14-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conwaymac (Post 3748572)
Can anyone recommend a swing out tire carrier that would mount to a stock JK bumper?? I need something that will support a 35" tire and stock rim..:rolleyes:

I've got the AEV rear bumper/tire carrier. I love it. The tire carrier is compatible with the stock bumper. For the 3rd break light. I bought an aftermarket light, wiring, wiring loom, and brackets. I routed the wiring loom around the tire carrier, and it looks stock...sort of!

JeepAddOns-Chris 05-14-2013 10:04 AM

You can also use third brake lights from Delta which go into the open lug holes on your spare tire. I ran those previously and loved them. They run about $35.

http://www.jk-forum.com/attachment.p...4&d=1318260367