Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Buying 1st jeep! Snorkel question. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/buying-1st-jeep-snorkel-question-242253.html)

Smashbox 05-12-2013 11:50 PM

Buying 1st jeep! Snorkel question.

Buying my first jeep this week. Finally!

The wrangler I'm looking at is a 2004 4L with 120000 kms. There isn't much of a description on the ad about it. Here's the ad-

"Great jeep new MVI last month. Has soft top, 31" tires, snorkel, CD player with USB, new clutch, breaks, ball joint, torsion bar, pitman arm and other parts for MVI. Jeep is a 4L 5speed, and in great shape 120,000 kms on it'

It looks great in the pictures but I've been reading around on the site about how people think that just because they have a snorkel they can submerge the jeep and by thinking this they can cause damage to the Jeep.

I'm just curious about what type of damage could be caused and what can I look for to make sure it is not damaged from going to deep.

Bonus question.. Does having a snorkel cause a lot of exhaust to blow in if the top is off?

I personally don't really care if there is a snorkel or not I'd just like to save myself the hassle and leave it on as long as it doesn't blow exhaust in my face!

Thanks in advance. I look forward to spending some time on the forums

Smashbox 05-12-2013 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 248546

Tanks 05-13-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashbox (Post 3749385)
Buying my first jeep this week. Finally!

The wrangler I'm looking at is a 2004 4L with 120000 kms. There isn't much of a description on the ad about it. Here's the ad-

"Great jeep new MVI last month. Has soft top, 31" tires, snorkel, CD player with USB, new clutch, breaks, ball joint, torsion bar, pitman arm and other parts for MVI. Jeep is a 4L 5speed, and in great shape 120,000 kms on it'

It looks great in the pictures but I've been reading around on the site about how people think that just because they have a snorkel they can submerge the jeep and by thinking this they can cause damage to the Jeep.

I'm just curious about what type of damage could be caused and what can I look for to make sure it is not damaged from going to deep.

Bonus question.. Does having a snorkel cause a lot of exhaust to blow in if the top is off?

I personally don't really care if there is a snorkel or not I'd just like to save myself the hassle and leave it on as long as it doesn't blow exhaust in my face!

Thanks in advance. I look forward to spending some time on the forums

Hey there,
First off, congrats on looking for a jeep!!

So a snorkel is not for exhaust. It is to supply fresh air into the engine and not get any water in it when in deep water or in case there is a bow wave that surges over your hood.

As far as water crossing damage, if you can check them, the diffs might have water in them in the fluid if the breather hoses were not extended properly. Also if it starts and quits or has stutter there could be issue with the distro cap or plug wires having gotten water in them at some point.

Others will have a much longer list of things but overall a very nice looking jeep!! Hoping for the best for you!!

Smashbox 05-13-2013 12:45 AM

Oh! That makes much more sense to me lol. It seemed odd that there would be exhaust up front .. Not sure where I even got that idea in the first place. Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.

Tanks 05-13-2013 01:28 AM

No problem! Good luck!