Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Steering issue after lift kit! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/steering-issue-after-lift-kit-242314.html)

pete731 05-13-2013 11:28 AM

Steering issue after lift kit!
 
1 Attachment(s)
I know it must be a pretty common issue after a lift kit but I read many threads but only with partial responses to my problem.

First, it is a 2010 Wrangler with a 4" Rough Country lift kit and 35x12.5x17 Fierce Attitude M/T tires.

The problem I have is that the direction is unstable and make it very hard to keep it in straight line at 55 mph, it's even on the merge to be dangerous!!!

I also got a problem that the steering start wobbling like crazy at low speed and force me to stop ...

My question is, am I missing something to make it safer and more enjoyable to drive?

Wrangler010 05-13-2013 11:31 AM

Re torque everything? Make sure everything is tight?

kjeeper10 05-13-2013 11:34 AM

Did the lift come with control arms for caster ?

WatchThis! 05-13-2013 11:49 AM

Have you had it on an alignment rack to check caster and rear thrush angle?

pete731 05-13-2013 11:52 AM

No my garage used the factory control arm! The re-align the whole thing after that just in case someone is wondering!

Should I change the control arm? Is an aftermarket arm would be better and if so why?

ohioviper 05-13-2013 11:53 AM

Sounds like something is loose and the trac bar has play = death wobble.
Search death wobble here.

WatchThis! 05-13-2013 11:58 AM

Some people's/shops idea of an alignment is just seting the toe. Caster is very important also. Dosent hurt to ask them what all and to what #'s they set everything up to, and if they did the work I would make them figure it out.

kjeeper10 05-13-2013 12:08 PM

4" lift without lower arms to up caster will do what you're describing. I'm assuming your caster is low.

As far as the shake, check the front track bar bolts. Also read through the sticky for DW and replacing the factory bolts.

pete731 05-13-2013 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3750743)
4" lift without lower arms to up caster will do what you're describing. I'm assuming your caster is low.

As far as the shake, check the front track bar bolts. Also read through the sticky for DW and replacing the factory bolts.

Stupid question ... how I can verify this?

Here are 2 pictures, one is what has been replace from factory to the 4" lift kit the other is the front of my Jeep. Can this help to see what is missing?

Thank you all for the fast responses!

kjeeper10 05-13-2013 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have stock control arms.

Control arms position the axle in the wheel well and hold a pinion/caster spec (tilt of the axle)

Lowers like you see in my pic rotate the axle down for a bit more caster.

The only way to really tell where you're at is having the alignment checked.

kjeeper10 05-13-2013 12:41 PM

Read this

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/j...affect-my-jeep

UnlimitedLJ04 05-13-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete731 (Post 3750790)
Stupid question ... how I can verify this?

Here are 2 pictures, one is what has been replace from factory to the 4" lift kit the other is the front of my Jeep. Can this help to see what is missing?

Thank you all for the fast responses!

looks like the kit also jacked up your steering geometry...they removed the stock pitman arm and maybe moved the track bar. the drag-link and track bar need to remain the parallel, in the same plane, and the same length...otherwise you get bumpsteer.

pete731 05-13-2013 01:07 PM

Which lower control arms should I get, which lenght?

kjeeper10 05-13-2013 01:15 PM

Does look like there's a TB bracket hidden underneath there ?

fljeepleo 05-13-2013 01:33 PM

I know there is more going on than this but also check your tire pressure.

pete731 05-13-2013 06:21 PM

I order new lower arms and I will pass all the "death wobble" procedure! I'll keep you posted.

kjeeper10 05-13-2013 06:45 PM

First make sure your front track bar is nice and tight 125 ft lbs.
if there is any movement ie bad bushings/worn holes etc. this is the #1 cause for shakes/dealth wobble.

SilverSport 05-13-2013 06:57 PM

Shakin all over.

Jaker jk 05-13-2013 07:04 PM

Take some better pictures of your track bar area on the axle side and the frame side

thegreyman 05-13-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete731 (Post 3750618)
I know it must be a pretty common issue after a lift kit but I read many threads but only with partial responses to my problem.

First, it is a 2010 Wrangler with a 4" Rough Country lift kit and 35x12.5x17 Fierce Attitude M/T tires.

The problem I have is that the direction is unstable and make it very hard to keep it in straight line at 55 mph, it's even on the merge to be dangerous!!!

I also got a problem that the steering start wobbling like crazy at low speed and force me to stop ...

My question is, am I missing something to make it safer and more enjoyable to drive?

It's posts like this that keep my wheels stock. I dunno man, just go to stock and plasti dip your rims ( black) for the off road look. The stock platform can handle 90% of the off roading most people do. IF you are going to get into mudding or rock crawling- well that's a whole different ball game.

good luck

Rogerg 05-13-2013 08:49 PM

I don't have that kit but I too have a 4" lift. I had to ditch the drop pitman arm that came with my kit and reinstall the stocker to correct the steering.Make sure they did an allignment and check your trackbar bolts. FWIW I still use the stock control arms.

SuicideSaints 05-13-2013 09:39 PM

I can't see in the pic of the kit on the jeep but I see in the other pic you took the stock pitman arm off. Did you instal a drop pitman arm? If you did you should be running a drop bracket with the track bar. If you don't have the drop bracket for the track bar take the drop pitman arm off and reinstall the stock one. I guarantee this is your problem with the DW if you don't have that drop bracket. This also might fix your other problem. I would do this before anything else then see how it handles. I can't stress it enough, only use a drop pitman arm with a drop bracket for the track bar. Using one without the other changes the geometry of the steering in a really bad way.

pete731 05-19-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3750866)
looks like the kit also jacked up your steering geometry...they removed the stock pitman arm and maybe moved the track bar. the drag-link and track bar need to remain the parallel, in the same plane, and the same length...otherwise you get bumpsteer.

Yes I have a modified pitarm!! Is the drag link and track bar only an adjustment to be made or I should install new parts?

pete731 05-19-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3750743)
4" lift without lower arms to up caster will do what you're describing. I'm assuming your caster is low.

As far as the shake, check the front track bar bolts. Also read through the sticky for DW and replacing the factory bolts.

You respond to my other thread and since I need a LCA anyway with a 2.5 or 4 lift, I will stay with my 4" lift and enhance it the best I can.

So far, I order LCA and a performance steering stabilizer. I also told my garage to check the slack in the bolt that cause the death wobbles!

pete731 05-19-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker jk (Post 3752027)
Take some better pictures of your track bar area on the axle side and the frame side

The jeep is still at the garage, when I'll get it back, I'll post better pics!

kjeeper10 05-19-2013 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete731 (Post 3771562)

Yes I have a modified pitarm!! Is the drag link and track bar only an adjustment to be made or I should install new parts?

Yea we need to see more pics. A dropped pitman arm is not the best way to go about doing things but should be fine if the track bar is raised to match.

Better way of fixing steering angles is raising the drag link on top the knuckle. This does the same as a dropped pitman but doesn't add stress on the already week sector shaft/steering box.

As you can see in the pic. Either way the track bar needs to be raised or lowered to match angles. Raising being preferred.

Ruby Tuesday 05-19-2013 09:53 PM

I don't understand why RC would sell 4" kits that lack key components. It's my understanding a 4" kit needs adjustable control arms or correction brackets at least, and steering geometry correction. I guess you get what you pay for!

COLOUJK 05-19-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 3772863)
I guess you get what you pay for!

Exactly. This is the reason I am building my own "kit" with different parts and not going with one companies "complete" lift kit.

ESP 05-20-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLOUJK (Post 3773168)
Exactly. This is the reason I am building my own "kit" with different parts and not going with one companies "complete" lift kit.

Many companies sell complete kits. Rough Country in this instance did not.

JTPhoto JK 05-20-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 3773553)

Many companies sell complete kits. Rough Country in this instance did not.

X2^^^ unfortunately there are more companies out there that sell incomplete kits in order to keep their price down. Unsuspected buyers think they are getting a good deal til they have to go back and purchase all the parts separately that should have been in the kit in the first place.

Compare the parts list between the RC 2.5" Spacer kit and the TeraFlex 2.5" BB for instance.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.