Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   The transmission oil mystery (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/the-transmission-oil-mystery-242420.html)

Tottejarl 05-13-2013 07:49 PM

The transmission oil mystery

When I don't run my 2002 TJ (4.0L automatic) for a couple of weeks, I will find a puddle, about a table spoon, on the ground right under the transmission pan. Seem to come from above somewhere. The dipstick shows way over the max mark. If I drive the jeep more often, there is no leak, and the level on the stick is normal. Anyone out there have an idea?

flflash 05-13-2013 07:59 PM

The internal pump seals are worn and allowing transmission fluid to drain from the torque convertor into the transmission causing it to be overfull and push out the vent or dipstick seal over a period of time.
Either drive your Jeep more or start saving up for resealing the entire transmission and rebuilding the front pump.

Jerry Bransford 05-13-2013 08:22 PM

Are you checking the transmission ATF level properly? The engine must be running, engine & transmission warmed up, and the transmission MUST be in Neutral. That is the only way you can get an accurate level indication on 2002 and older automatics.

2003 and newer are the same except they can also be checked in Park in addition to Neutral.

Tdog02 05-13-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flflash (Post 3752005)
The internal pump seals are worn and allowing transmission fluid to drain from the torque convertor into the transmission causing it to be overfull and push out the vent or dipstick seal over a period of time.
Either drive your Jeep more or start saving up for resealing the entire transmission and rebuilding the front pump.

X2 on this. You have a 32 RH if its an 02, couple of seals may fix it but if you are pulling it anyway then rebuild. Relocate the breather vent and call it good after rebuild.

Gorving3 05-13-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3752100)
Are you checking the transmission ATF level properly? The engine must be running, engine & transmission warmed up, and the transmission MUST be in Neutral. That is the only way you can get an accurate level indication on 2002 and older automatics.

2003 and newer are the same except they can also be checked in Park in addition to Neutral.

Hi Jerry, I think I've been checking my 2001 Sahara automatic in Park. Will this be showing a level higher than it really is or lower? I guess after driving automatics for over 50 years I didn't realize there was a difference between Park and Neutral when it came to checking the automatic fluid levels (but I did know the engine had to be running, except on my 1991 Honda Accord).

Jerry Bransford 05-13-2013 11:55 PM

The transmission pump doesn't run in Park on 2002 and older automatic transmissions. Checking in Park will give an erroneous ATF level indication. The correct procedure is also described/confirmed in your Owners Manual.

Gorving3 05-16-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3753177)
The transmission pump doesn't run in Park on 2002 and older automatic transmissions. Checking in Park will give an erroneous ATF level indication. The correct procedure is also described/confirmed in your Owners Manual.

Thanks for the heads-up Jerry. After 50 some odd years of checking automatic transmission fluids with the tranny in Park guess I've just by-passed that part of the owner's manual. Just re-checked my 2001 Sahara with the tranny in Neutral and it looks like by doing so in Park will show the fluid level about 1/2 pint to a pint low on fluid. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but he's trying.

kosmo04 05-17-2013 08:49 AM

Mine is doing this same thing as well, 98 with 215k miles on the odo. Looks like its time to pull it from what you guys are saying.

Duckmasterlack 05-17-2013 01:01 PM

I have been following this thread as I have had the same problem on my 99 4.0 auto. At first I thought it was the transmission pan as I had 3 stripped bolts from the PO. I fixed that and 2 days later I still had the leak so I took it to the stealership to see if they could find the leak. Long story short it took them 3 days to find out it is the selector shaft seal. Im having it replaced today,hopefully this will end the bleeding on my garage floor.