Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   15 or 17 in rims (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/15-or-17-in-rims-242452.html)

ORBIT 05-13-2013 08:09 PM

15 or 17 in rims
 
Need some expert advice on the pros/con on 17in vs 15in rims. I have a 2013 jku sport-s, I'm looking to replace the rims and tires with 33's. I'm new to all this tire/rim stuff and the more i read the more confused i get. LOL

Sebastian F7 05-13-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORBIT (Post 3752328)
Need some expert advice on the pros/con on 17in vs 15in rims. I have a 2013 jku sport-s, I'm looking to replace the rims and tires with 33's. I'm new to all this tire/rim stuff and the more i read the more confused i get. LOL

17's look better and are fairly common now, you can shove bigger brakes in 17's
That being said tires get more expensive the bigger rims you have.

Big Fran 05-13-2013 08:22 PM

Here is a thread of JK's with 33x12.50 on 15" rims.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x...deo-96568.html

ORBIT 05-13-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks! Other than cost which is a better set up 15 or 17? 90% dd and 10% light off road.

2resa 05-13-2013 08:40 PM

Do you think you will ever go bigger than 33's? If not, IMHO 15's look good on 33's and of course, they are cheaper.

Big Fran 05-13-2013 08:44 PM

I'm more like 99% on road and 1% dirt road. I've had 33x12.50 15" tires on my Chevy PU for 15 years and I love them. I just ordered a set for my 2013 JKU and they should be here by the end of the week. I love the look of the balloon tire.

ORBIT 05-13-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fran (Post 3752407)
Here is a thread of JK's with 33x12.50 on 15" rims.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x...deo-96568.html

Big Fan, I was looking at that set-up, just wasn't sure if 15 or 17's were better or if it really matters.

ORBIT 05-13-2013 08:56 PM

2resa, no i don't see myself going larger at this point. But from what iv'e seen that could change in time.

ORBIT 05-13-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2resa (Post 3752503)
Do you think you will ever go bigger than 33's? If not, IMHO 15's look good on 33's and of course, they are cheaper.

2resa, no i don't see myself going larger at this point. But from what iv'e seen that could change in time.

ahsumtoy 05-13-2013 08:58 PM

I Agree
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian F7 (Post 3752356)
17's look better and are fairly common now, you can shove bigger brakes in 17's
That being said tires get more expensive the bigger rims you have.

If you ever have to replace the brakes and rotors for better ones, you need to go with the 17's. Also, I think 17's look better. Here is what mine look like (33's x12.5 on 17's).

Tweak 05-13-2013 08:58 PM

do your research, make sure the wheel/tire combo you want will work. Would hate for you to fall in love with a tire only to find it doesn't come in the same size as the wheels you want.

ORBIT 05-13-2013 09:06 PM

Tweak, I looked at Level 8 Trackers with DuraTrac. Also BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A DCT states both will work with 5in bs.

Rtone1583 05-13-2013 11:24 PM

Tires are one thing but I think the larger concern is the brakes.

Ahsumtoy mentioned one apsect (the ability to increase rotor/caliper size) but the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the original, engineered design.

The brakes are engineered/designed to work best in conjunction with the larger stock wheels.

Two important things to consider with the stock setup.

1. Temperature. The larger wheels allow more airflow around the brakes, keeping them cooler.

2. Clearance. The chances of damage (from mud, rocks, etc.) to the wheels or brakes is increased because there isn't as much or enough clearance between the wheel and brake assembly for the debris to clear efficiently.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

n00g7 05-13-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORBIT (Post 3752618)
Tweak, I looked at Level 8 Trackers with DuraTrac. Also BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A DCT states both will work with 5in bs.


In the 12.5 width or 10.5 width? I'm guessing only the 10.5

wassup8687 05-13-2013 11:49 PM

I'd suggest looking at others and see which look you prefer.

I happen to like the look of 17's more so I stayed with stock wheels.

Old Dogger 05-14-2013 12:14 AM

17s all the way! They cost more, but they are worth it!
They look a lot better on the JK AND JKU!
You still have plenty of sidewall deflection for rock crawl.
If you do any high speed, highway driving, they also corner better, because of less sidewall roll.

Miser 05-14-2013 12:20 AM

From a pure aesthetics standpoint, the 17s just look better dimensional wise on the JK/JKU.
I like 15s on the TJs.

ORBIT 05-14-2013 06:33 AM

noog7, 12.5 on both.

ORBIT 05-14-2013 06:34 AM

Thanks for all the help/ideas. It looks like 17in is the way to go.

ORBIT 05-22-2013 08:04 PM

Would like to thank everyone for the input, 17in level 8 trackers with 4.5 bs.

ohioviper 05-22-2013 10:20 PM

If your not going to wheel it and money is not an issue then 17s are better on the highway.
15" tires are cheaper and offer better performance offroad.

traitor08 05-23-2013 12:13 AM

Go 17.

Braveheart12JK 05-23-2013 01:22 AM

17's!

brighton 05-23-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORBIT (Post 3783455)
Would like to thank everyone for the input, 17in level 8 trackers with 4.5 bs.

Here's my 17" Level 8 Trackers with 35" GY MT/R tires:


http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...ps0a04d42e.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.