Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Bought a YJ 2 hours ago (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/bought-a-yj-2-hours-ago-242518.html)

Golding 05-13-2013 11:55 PM

Bought a YJ 2 hours ago

Hey all

Just bought my first jeep
It's a 1992 2.5 4cylinder YJ
It's had the engine rebuilt and the exterior re done. Interior needs a bit of work.
Drove it home today and was averaging 120kph on the highway with ease.

So I'm sorry but I'm gonna bombard you all with questions . I appreciate any answers at all.

1) my gas gauge seems to be inaccurate how much would it cost to get that fixed?

2) was thinking about getting a lift kit. How much of an affect does it have on gas? Less mpg

3) where's the best place to get interior parts. New seats. Floor carpet. New steering wheel. Upgrade speakers on sound bar.

Any other comments or information you think I need please feel free to tell me. I'm a complete noob to the jeep world. I already love my YJ. So much fun driving it home.

Golding 05-13-2013 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is it

2xs 05-14-2013 12:05 AM

Welcome to the addiction!

120kph? thats what? 75? not bad

thats what I do with 33's

Golding 05-14-2013 12:25 AM

Thanks , I haven't gotten this attached to a 4wheeled vehicle in a long time. Usually I'm on bikes.
Interior needs work as I said and obviously there's not a huge amount of comfort factor. But wow they are fun. There is great character to them

indirocz28 05-14-2013 12:26 AM

Search EBay for interior parts. I would look them up on quadratec and then compare prices.

As for a lift kit and gas mileage, well, its a jeep... its a brick. Actually I think its less aerodynamic than a brick.

So if you want to keep "good" mileage, leave it alone. People have gone down to 30 or 31" tires from 33s and 35s and gained 10mpg. To me, that is a lot!

But what is the fun in leaving it all stock ? That is the addiction!

p0larb3ar 05-14-2013 12:59 AM

That's a nice looking yj, wish mine was stock when I bought her

CarolinaBound 05-14-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3753307)
So if you want to keep "good" mileage, leave it alone. People have gone down to 30 or 31" tires from 33s and 35s and gained 10mpg. To me, that is a lot!

Yea gonna call BS on this one. To the OP expect 15-20 highway and the upper end of 10-15 in town even with bigger rubber. Just read read read and you'll get a good feel of what's what and how in a week or two. Then the fun stuff starts.

TheDesertOutlaw 05-14-2013 01:18 AM

Whatever you do, please don't do this to your Jeep.:eek:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...71466018_n.jpg

Turbostixxx 05-14-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDesertOutlaw (Post 3753452)

Man that would be hella flex lol

wrangleryj90 05-14-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDesertOutlaw (Post 3753452)

Probably has different tires for trails lol I hope so at least

Lil_town 05-14-2013 02:17 AM

you mean i shouldn't go back to stock tires with a 4 1/2 lift?

Keymo 05-14-2013 06:15 AM

Since no one has addressed the Fuel Gauge issue yet-

What do you mean by innacurate? What is it doing? Does it appear to be working or is it pegged out somewhere?

Most YJ fuel gauges are not accurate - if they work at all. Depending on what your problem is - there are various "fixes" you can attempt if it really bothers you that much...

Personally, I just deal with my fuel gauge being about 1/3 of a tank off and I amost never let her drop below 1/2 tank... and reset the Odometer every time I fill up - I also try keep track of average MPGs at each fill up just to give me an idea of how she's running and an approximate range I can expect to be able to drive...

Golding 05-14-2013 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow it's awesome the amount of activity there are on these forums.

A lot of other forums I've seen there's a post every 2 weeks.
Really appreciate all the advice and comments.

Yeah was driving home last night the gauge got to about half way and I started losing power , luckily there was a gas station closeby, I topped it up, and away she went. So I suspect it reads inaccurately.

Yeah the previous owner rebuilt the engine so I'm
Hoping ill have no immediate issues with it.

wranglerbrother 05-14-2013 08:44 AM

Thats a nice looking jeep! :) very clean! i got mine about two years ago, and my gas gauge doesnt work that well either.. i just dont let it get below 1/2 tank like Keymo said. Looks like you got a nice platform to start a great build! as for lifts.. im not sure if lifting actually does a ton to mpg.. its more about the size of the tires you stuff under it. But no one should buy a jeep for the mpg.. like someone said.. its build like a brick only less aerodynamic, lol. And about the interior gadgets.. i dont really know too much about.. im a poor college kid so most of my money goes into fun stuff.. (lift,tires,etc.). hope this help! Check out my build in my sig if ud like! welcome to the jeep world!

Keymo 05-14-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golding (Post 3753933)
Wow it's awesome the amount of activity there are on these forums.

A lot of other forums I've seen there's a post every 2 weeks.
Really appreciate all the advice and comments.

Yeah was driving home last night the gauge got to about half way and I started losing power , luckily there was a gas station closeby, I topped it up, and away she went. So I suspect it reads inaccurately.

Yeah the previous owner rebuilt the engine so I'm
Hoping ill have no immediate issues with it.

Yeah, this forum is VERY active. Haha! Hopefully any questions you have you'll either be able to find them or have them answered fairly quickly. :thumb:

If you feel like dropping the fuel tank there's multiple things you can do to it to A. increase capacity and B. Get your gauge to read more accurately.

From 1990 on YJs came with a 20 gallon tank that they limited to 15 gallons by extending the breather hose. You can pull it out and cut it so that you can completely fill your tank. Here's a link to a pretty good writeup I had in my bookmarks:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/

While you have it dropped you can checking inside of your tank... I forget where I got this from, I think it was a different forum, but I have it copied into a document for something I MIGHT try in the future if I'm really feeling like fixing my gauge...

Quote:

I had the problem with my fuel gauge not being accurate, and I decided to pull the tank and find out why. The fuel sending unit in a nutshells is a potentiometer. it consists of: a resistive element, a sliding contact (wiper) that moves along the element, making good electrical contact with one part of it, electrical terminals at each end of the element, a mechanism (float in this case) that moves the wiper from one end to the other, and a housing containing the element and wiper (plastic shroud). I don't know if you feel inclined to drop the tank (its actually very easy with a floor jack and a piece of wood, flat head screw driver for 5 hose clamps, and wrench and socket for 7 - 1/2" bolts) but if you are, you can fix this problem like I did.

Open the fuel tank, you can find writeups for all this, pull out the sending unit, and bend the "wiper arm" out a little bit, so that it makes a stronger contact with the element. The little contact point on the "wiper" actually gets a flat spot on it from going up and down after 25 years. My fuel tank is now EXACT. Its very accurate.
Hope that helps. :p

indirocz28 05-14-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaBound (Post 3753432)
Yea gonna call BS on this one. To the OP expect 15-20 highway and the upper end of 10-15 in town even with bigger rubber. Just read read read and you'll get a good feel of what's what and how in a week or two. Then the fun stuff starts.

Somewhere we were discussing tire sizes in a thread and one guy said he went down and gained 10mpg, then right after that a few more people came in and said the same thing.

Golding 05-14-2013 01:17 PM

Thanks guys

Great feedback there.
Also any recommendations for parts?

Initially I'm looking to

- get some decent decals
- get sidebar for the doors
- front bullbar

Also obviously it's loud inside while driving. However even of the stereo is on loud I can't hear it. Any tips on how to quieter the engine sound coming through .

Again thanks for all your comments great to see so many people enthusiastic about their jeeps . Goes to show how great these things are.

sinbob 05-14-2013 01:27 PM

:wavey:welcome to the addiction

JEEP = J...ust E...mpty E...very P...ocket

I have an 06 rubi and my gas gauge doesn't work either....I just watch my miles I get around 220 to a tank so when I am getting close I tank up

indirocz28 05-14-2013 01:30 PM

replace stereo with new updated components.

You shouldn't hear it a ton inside, with the hard top I wouldn't think. However if you have no sound insulation inside then thats part of it. Also, that open air filter will increase the sound of your engine because it doesn't have the factory air box silencers.

I wouldn't think a little 4cyl would be that loud. My 4.2L is pretty quiet. I mostly just hear the wind flapping the top on the 3 un buttoned buttons on the driver side part of my top.

indirocz28 05-14-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keymo (Post 3754141)
Yeah, this forum is VERY active. Haha! Hopefully any questions you have you'll either be able to find them or have them answered fairly quickly. :thumb:

If you feel like dropping the fuel tank there's multiple things you can do to it to A. increase capacity and B. Get your gauge to read more accurately.

From 1990 on YJs came with a 20 gallon tank that they limited to 15 gallons by extending the breather hose. You can pull it out and cut it so that you can completely fill your tank. Here's a link to a pretty good writeup I had in my bookmarks:
Wrangler YJ Gas Tank Modification 15 to 20 Gallons

While you have it dropped you can checking inside of your tank... I forget where I got this from, I think it was a different forum, but I have it copied into a document for something I MIGHT try in the future if I'm really feeling like fixing my gauge...

Hope that helps. :p

Thanks for posting. One more thing to add to my YJ list this weekend.

Golding 05-14-2013 02:48 PM

Yeah I don't there's any sound insulation.

What's the best solution for that?

Also my drivers door isn't fully sealed when closest passenger door is fine. But drivers door hangs a bit and there's a gap at the top of the door.

Am I asking too many questions. ;)

RevCo666 05-14-2013 02:55 PM

Hey Golding: Which province are you located in?

BCDonny 05-14-2013 02:58 PM

Welcome to the world of jeeps. I have done most of my shopping online, company sites and eBay. Main thing is do what you like and make it yours

Keymo 05-14-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3754937)
replace stereo with new updated components.

You shouldn't hear it a ton inside, with the hard top I wouldn't think. However if you have no sound insulation inside then thats part of it. Also, that open air filter will increase the sound of your engine because it doesn't have the factory air box silencers.

I wouldn't think a little 4cyl would be that loud. My 4.2L is pretty quiet. I mostly just hear the wind flapping the top on the 3 un buttoned buttons on the driver side part of my top.

My 4.2L is LOUD especially under load. At idle it's not so intense. And that's with a hardtop on and the windows up and the factory filter "box"... I can pretty much always hear it unless it's a really windy day - but I like it that way. I'd rather hear my engine than not. It surprises me your 4.2L is quiet. Those beasts are actually known to be pretty loud...

Though I do agree - upgraded stereo and components would make a difference. I know when my YJ was stock - the speakers weren't very powerful and I had trouble hearing my radio as well - even on full blast...

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3755137)
Thanks for posting. One more thing to add to my YJ list this weekend.

That's always SOMETHING to do! :thumb: glad I could pass on some good info to other YJ owners. There's no better Wrangler than a YJ. :thumb: I know technology would beg to differ - but you'll never hear ME saying any other model is better. Haha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golding (Post 3755199)
Yeah I don't there's any sound insulation.

What's the best solution for that?

Also my drivers door isn't fully sealed when closest passenger door is fine. But drivers door hangs a bit and there's a gap at the top of the door.

Am I asking too many questions. ;)

No. There should not be ANY insulation.. Best solution: get yourself some automotive insulation and line your firewall and tub - though, personally, I would try to avoid insulating the tub (or the bottom at least) as if water gets soaked in there you could have "premature" tub rotting.

I've also heard that people notice quite a bit of difference in road noise when they line their tub with a good quality bedliner (I would suggest Monstaliner as it's one of the thicker liners and has been proven to be insanely durable).

Is your door hanging up on the hard top? My passenger side hangs up a bit - though it can close enough so there is not a gap. You can see where it makes contact with the top where the top meets the tub. Sometimes, if the top and tub aren't lined up juuuust right you can have that problem. I would look at both sides and make sure than the hardtop is lines up properly... Is all of your weatherstripping good as well? My YJ's weatherstripping around the doors was so rotted when I got 'er that there was essentially no seal along the top of the doors.

And no - you are not asking too many questions. That's what this place is here for, man! :thumb: It's a learning process - and the nice thing about a place like this is you can benefit from the knowledge of Jeepers all over the country - and even the world in some cases.

indirocz28 05-14-2013 04:58 PM

I personally don't think my 4.2 is loud, but I'm used to drag cars and loud street cars and those types of things. Even though my muffler is rusted out, I think its pretty quiet. Lol

StanF 05-14-2013 05:22 PM

I think a sound bar would help improve the volume, as it puts the speakers right next to your ears. It works in my YJ with the windows down and a bikini top. :D

Golding 05-14-2013 05:54 PM

I'm located in Ontario, Canada

Ill have to take a proper look at the jeep when I get time to answer those questions.

That's a fair point about the insulation though. I think it's more my weak stereo than anything. There already is a sound bar in it. It's either the amp is not powerful enough or the speakers haven't enough wattage. Either way ill need to upgrade .

Just called up about insurance today. 280dollars a month I was quoted. Jesus that's expensive.
I think it's because I'm Irish and I'm only living in Canada 4 months now. Ill try shop around but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay the high rate until i can get it down after time.

indirocz28 05-14-2013 05:56 PM

You should move to America. No one like Canadians anyway, but we sure do like to drink with the Irish!

Cowboy17 05-14-2013 06:11 PM

hey Golding, another Ontarian here. Congrats on getting the Jeep thing. It's all downhill from here....lol

where in Ontario are you? I have many jeep parts should you need something. Shoot me a PM.

Keymo 05-14-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3755618)
I personally don't think my 4.2 is loud, but I'm used to drag cars and loud street cars and those types of things. Even though my muffler is rusted out, I think its pretty quiet. Lol

Interesting... Haha! And good point. You could have a little bias there... :p

My YJ is just a straight pipe from the engine - so I suppose that could have an effect on my noise. The exhaust is pretty friggin' loud - but like I said, only under power. At idle I can hear it but it's "quiet" for the most part. Helluva' lot quieter than the 360 V8 in my J-truck a idle - but under power I'd say they're just about the same - the J-truck is just "deeper"! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golding (Post 3755780)
I'm located in Ontario, Canada

Ill have to take a proper look at the jeep when I get time to answer those questions.

That's a fair point about the insulation though. I think it's more my weak stereo than anything. There already is a sound bar in it. It's either the amp is not powerful enough or the speakers haven't enough wattage. Either way ill need to upgrade .

Just called up about insurance today. 280dollars a month I was quoted. Jesus that's expensive.
I think it's because I'm Irish and I'm only living in Canada 4 months now. Ill try shop around but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay the high rate until i can get it down after time.

HOLY SH!T! 230?! A MONTH?! That's INSANE! Do you have a bad driving record? :p

I pay a total of $47 a month for liability on my J-truck AND my YJ - TOTAL. Granted, that's strictly liability and I'm sure higher coverage would be significantly more expensive... But $230 seems insanely ridiculous for one vehicle...