Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Starwood Motors - breaking down price of mods (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/starwood-motors-breaking-down-price-of-mods-242547.html)

staindsoul 05-14-2013 06:32 AM

Starwood Motors - breaking down price of mods

Hello,

By now most know about Starwood Motors in Dallas and their custom JKU's

http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/us...Texas/6344044/

I am not here to debate their styling. My wife wants a JKU and likes the look of the "kevlar" coating along with the rest of their mods. She has 51% of the vote...

My question is roughly how much is their mark up? Since they do Jeeps in volumes I am assuming they get discounts on the parts and labor. Can someone break down the mods by price? I am assuming they pay around $29k for a brand new Sport with 24S package. If I do pick up one of these I want to know what would be a reasonable offer.

Thanks for all the help.

Rtone1583 05-14-2013 07:42 AM

The link is not working (for me at least).

Joe30326 05-14-2013 07:54 AM

They seem overpriced for all used jeeps

Txrdstr 05-14-2013 07:59 AM

Sure they pay less than 28k, I paid less for a 24s. That are way over price in my opinion! Can build your own for half the cost!

staindsoul 05-14-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txrdstr (Post 3753935)
Sure they pay less than 28k, I paid less for a 24s. That are way over price in my opinion! Can build your own for half the cost!

Well I was just assuming sales tax was included. Don't know if dealers have to pay it.

I think we can agree they are overpriced. Was seeing if someone could break down the pricing for me so I know how much it would be if I modded it myself... well paid someone else other than Starwood to do it. I am not mechanically inclined.

Second attempt at the link 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (24S Pkg) We Finance Dallas, Texas | Starwood Motors

Anyone who has purchased a Jeep from them care to chime in with some feedback?

jigaloo 05-14-2013 08:27 AM

Funny...I just mentioned Starwood Motors to my wife last night. I couldn't believe that they had a wrangler listed for close to $70k. :eek: I'm surprised that there are people willing to spend that much money on it. If they're buidling them, there must be a market for it.

I love jeeps, but I couldn't see spending $50-70k on a jeep...just sayin...

My contribution to the thread is agreeing that they are over-priced. :)

yellowtailfan 05-14-2013 08:43 AM

I live in the Frisco area. Looked for 8 months researching what n where to buy. Starwood is a little high in my opinion. Especially used jeeps. And i called to set an appt to test drive one and really didnt care for the call back. They are selling cars that are high end, not Jeep experts. Then i finally came across collins bro jeeps. Collinbrosjeep.com. Super nice people, 30 yrs experience of solely modifying and selling Jeeps. Great cs after the sale - they know their stuff. SME's if you will. They are located in Wylie, so not too bad. Id avoid starwood but thats just me. Good luck. :)

Rtone1583 05-14-2013 09:28 AM

I would say that they have about a $5K margin built into them.

Figure $25K for the Jeep and another $18-$20K in parts, pieces, shipping, labor, etc..

That's just my guess. Would have to know specifics on all the upgrades to figure a true cost.

Also, they aren't used in the normal sense. They are used because they actually buy them from a dealer and then do their work. Since they aren't affiliated with the factory, they can't sell new Jeeps.

Would be interesting to know what kind of warranty comes with them.

staindsoul 05-14-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtone1583 (Post 3754154)
I would say that they have about a $5K margin built into them.

Figure $25K for the Jeep and another $18-$20K in parts, pieces, shipping, labor, etc..

That's just my guess. Would have to know specifics on all the upgrades to figure a true cost.

Also, they aren't used in the normal sense. They are used because they actually buy them from a dealer and then do their work. Since they aren't affiliated with the factory, they can't sell new Jeeps.

Would be interesting to know what kind of warranty comes with them.

Thanks for the insight. I would especially like to know what warranty comes with the body spray coating. Wonder what the durability of it is?

Drmad7 05-14-2013 09:39 AM

My only comment is for the $$ they charge, a Hemi should be included.

staindsoul 05-14-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtailfan (Post 3754005)
I live in the Frisco area. Looked for 8 months researching what n where to buy. Starwood is a little high in my opinion. Especially used jeeps. And i called to set an appt to test drive one and really didnt care for the call back. They are selling cars that are high end, not Jeep experts. Then i finally came across collins bro jeeps. Collinbrosjeep.com. Super nice people, 30 yrs experience of solely modifying and selling Jeeps. Great cs after the sale - they know their stuff. SME's if you will. They are located in Wylie, so not too bad. Id avoid starwood but thats just me. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I checked out their website. Their prices are high as well but it seems like better parts were used. Also you can't argue with their Jeep knowledge. Might be worth talking to them about a custom build if we can agree on pricing and terms.

yellowtailfan 05-14-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staindsoul (Post 3754480)
Thanks for the heads up. I checked out their website. Their prices are high as well but it seems like better parts were used. Also you can't argue with their Jeep knowledge. Might be worth talking to them about a custom build if we can agree on pricing and terms.

I will agree they are a little higher in price as well. But your point is what made me drink the kool aid. I enjoy working on vehicles and I'm fairly mechnical. What appealed to me was buying a 'completed' product built by professionals - no work for me! :) I was willing to belly up to the bar and figured Jeeps hold value so well, I really wouldn't be losing much if I ever get to re-sale. :thumb:

legitposter 05-14-2013 03:45 PM

I don't their prices are too crazy. For $44k you can get a beautiful JKU with all of the usual mods you want already done for you and you can start enjoying from day one. Also, you save a ton of time on research and installing yourself.

yellowtailfan 05-14-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3755349)
I don't their prices are too crazy. For $44k you can get a beautiful JKU with all of the usual mods you want already done for you and you can start enjoying from day one. Also, you save a ton of time on research and installing yourself.

^^^ think* :whistling: :D :thumb:

lasik1 05-14-2013 04:00 PM

Seeing "Jeep" and "Bentley" together seems wrong. I can just picture a big hair Dallas divorcee pulled over on the freeway staring at the hood latches......

the Grouch 05-14-2013 04:15 PM

They list all the things they add. Other than the kevlar wrap you should be able to easily price every component. They seem to use a lot of Smitty Built products, not what I would call high end.

I would add the price of all the extras to invoice pricing on the Sport S to get an idea of what their margin is.

legitposter 05-14-2013 05:13 PM

For example... For $44k you get a 24S jeep with a painted wildboar fastback top, 18" monster wheels+grapplers, AEV hood, loaded out audio, winch, bumpers, flares, crazy paint job, etc... All of that, already installed and installed correctly, ready to go from day one. That's just the one I looked closely at online and it looks like a pretty good deal.

staindsoul 05-14-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3755660)
For example... For $44k you get a 24S jeep with a painted wildboar fastback top, 18" monster wheels+grapplers, AEV hood, loaded out audio, winch, bumpers, flares, crazy paint job, etc... All of that, already installed and installed correctly, ready to go from day one. That's just the one I looked closely at online and it looks like a pretty good deal.

Yeah the convenience of having it Day 1 is very nice. Are you talking Starwood or Collin Bros Jeep?

I hear Wildboar tops leak. Any validity to that?

Tweak 05-14-2013 06:16 PM

putting parts on the jeep is half the fun.

legitposter 05-14-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3755834)

I guess if you're good at it that's true.. It's a stress fest for me.

staindsoul 05-14-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3755834)

Not with my skill set. Or lack of free time (toddlers)

BLK2012 05-14-2013 06:47 PM

hahaha..

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Martini Hemi Edition Dallas, Texas | Starwood Motors

staindsoul 05-14-2013 06:48 PM

Yeah that's insane. Definitely not talking about that Jeep. Or any of those that are $60k+

the Grouch 05-14-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staindsoul (Post 3755898)
Not with my skill set. Or lack of free time (toddlers)

A quick Google of the parts they add on and I come to about 39-40k not including the wrap or labor for install. Bumper, rails and fenders are a bolt on, easy peasy. The lift is probably the hardest to install. But add another thousand for labor and you are still below what they ask. And that is without shopping around. Shop around and you will end up even lower or at least have higher quality parts.

Personally, those builds seem to be more for looks than performance. But if you like it, I would offer something in the neighborhood of 40k and negotiate from there.

BLK2012 05-14-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staindsoul (Post 3755924)
Yeah that's insane. Definitely not talking about that Jeep. Or any of those that are $60k+

Yea, I know and I'm sorry, off topic (that's me).

I have been to this site before but never really looked around...

staindsoul 05-14-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Grouch (Post 3755939)

A quick Google of the parts they add on and I come to about 39-40k not including the wrap or labor for install. Bumper, rails and fenders are a bolt on, easy peasy. The lift is probably the hardest to install. But add another thousand for labor and you are still below what they ask. And that is without shopping around. Shop around and you will end up even lower or at least have higher quality parts.

Personally, those builds seem to be more for looks than performance. But if you like it, I would offer something in the neighborhood of 40k and negotiate from there.

Thanks Grouch for the help. Just wondering what their cost is on the custom leather and liner spray. Maybe another $3k total?

the Grouch 05-14-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staindsoul (Post 3755986)
Thanks Grouch for the help. Just wondering what their cost is on the custom leather and liner spray. Maybe another $3k total?

I have no clue. The one I looked at was the Commando Green which was new (57miles) and has no leather. The white one is definitely used (6k miles) so I would say the mod are worth half of retail? Dunno. Still would offer no more than 40.

NFRs2000NYC 05-14-2013 08:36 PM

For the money they charge, you can get a brand new rig, with any color linex you want, any color leather you want, and a heap of other mods. Dont waste your money.

DJL2 05-14-2013 09:10 PM

I just edited the link and worked my way to their inventory...holy crap. Overpriced is a gross understatement. So, I looked at their newish examples for 53-54 thousand dollars. Here's the added options:

35" tires, 18" wheels, Smitty front bumper, Smitty winch, off road lights, AEV hood, some leather, Pro Comp 4" lift and some accessories.

So, here's how I see it - that's a 28 thousand dollar Sport S with around a 2k lift, 2700 bucks of wheels and tires, 1k of winch and bumper, 850 bucks worth of hood, perhaps 1.5k offroad lights. So, now we're at 8k or so, 36ish total.

The question then becomes how much are all the bling features worth to you. We're talking about going in 15k for the leather, paint, install and odds and ends. I'd at least consider pricing the paint and coach work out from someone that specializes in that sort of thing. If you can get it done for less than 10k, I am willing to be you can come out well below 5k on the install for the actual offroady bits (assuming you don't do it yourself) - and you can spec it the way you want to at a local shop.

Just an idea...since I like playing Devil's advocate.

staindsoul 05-15-2013 06:34 AM

Thanks DJL2. That might be the path that I take. Unless one of these dealers agrees to come way down on their price.