Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   Rigid Industries dually D2 vs SR-Q2 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/rigid-industries-dually-d2-vs-sr-q2-242616.html)

19dsniper 05-14-2013 12:53 PM

Rigid Industries dually D2 vs SR-Q2
 
I have been a long time reader here and finally decided to join, so to everyone, hello.

Now with that said, i have tried searching the forum and havent found anything on these yet, so if i overlooked it, please forgive me and feel free to point me in the right dirrection.

I am looking at adding flood/diffused lights to the sides of my roof rack for area lighting when setting up camp and general task work. I have used my googlefu, yahoofu, bingfu, and every other kind of foo i can think of to find some good night beamshots of the Rigid industries SR-Q2 lights but i havent been able to find much. Are their not many people using them yet? I was thinking of using the SR-Q2 because RI claims that they are the same light as the Dually D2 only in a different, horizontal design. I figured that by using a light like the Q2 that it would help reduce the road noise.

Any thoughts on these lights?
Also, who here has used the Rigid Industries diffused lights on a roof rack as area lighting and how did you like it. I spent about 2 weeks trying to figure out which beam pattern would work better for my purpose, (either flood or diffused). I finally figured that i would give the diffused a shot with it sitting up on the roof rack and oriented down a bit.

Any thoughts or opinions on which light would be better, or which beam pattern would be better for my intended purpose?

ETA I already have a set of RI dually D2 driving beams on Pillar mounts. I will be moving these to the rear of the roof rack as back up/area lights as soon as my 50" E series arrives. Ships tomorrow!!!

Thanks for everyones help!

justin-branam 05-14-2013 03:29 PM

I have some Rigid Dually D2's as well, but for some rear lights I went with some cheaper ones from Exploration Outfitters. For the price difference, they do just what I need them to. I would imagine they would be great for your application as well (general area/work lighting). They have an extremely wide throw, although it isn't a far throw, so I wouldn't plan on using them for driving to see out in front of me. If you want me to send you some comparison pictures, just PM me your email address. I figured for $80 a pair, they were worth testing out. Quality seems to be pretty good and haven't had any problems for the few months I've owned them.

27 Watt Square LED Light | Exploration Outfitters

GlobalResponder 05-18-2013 01:20 PM

I just ordered a set of custom built RED "Diffused" SR-Q2's with brackets to be mounted on each tail light for rear lighting similar to your intended use. I really get annoyed not having proper rear lighting when I'm on the trails at night. I chose red just because I'm going with a 'red' theme as far as LED lighting so I wanted to keep to that theme. I'll certainly post pics and night shots once I get them installed. They're not due to arrive for at least a week since it's custom build job by Rigid Industries.

GlobalResponder 05-29-2013 12:31 AM

RIGID SRQ Diffused Lighting Install
 
5 Attachment(s)
Well, I got the Rigid SRQ's installed on the JK over the weekend. These are the RED LED "Diffused" I custom ordered from Rigid as they don't normally stock RED Diffused, but normally clear white diffused.

I LOVE the way they have turned out. These things simply make my entire rear end GLOW in RED. When they are not lit up, they just look like a pair of reverse lamps on the rear end. But when you light these things up...wow!

I'm glad I got the diffusers as opposed to floods. It really cuts down on glare and just really lights up the rear area nicely!

A Few things to note on the install:

-The brackets which were WAY overpriced for what they are (seriously folks, they sold me brackets they made for about a $2 for $19.99 EACH!) and to boot...not very well designed. You have to be VERY careful when ligning up where you want to mount these on top of the rear OEM tail lights. There is just no room for fudge factor! I was VERY lucky that I managed to get the bolts on all these brackets...because there wasn't ANY clearance at all between the nut and the interior wall of the OEM light fixture.
-Secondly, after I installed the lights, I realized you can no longer flip the quarter panel sections of the soft top out and away from the lip of the Jeep frame. The light is now in the way... :banghead: I'm not impressed with that gaff! Mainly because each time I take my roof down, I must flip out those quarter panel pieces to get my soft tip visor clip to reach. So, this will be interesting to see how I fight with this thing in the future.

Other than those two issues above, no problems whatsoever.

Enjoy....

GlobalResponder 05-29-2013 12:35 AM

Further Note...
 
3 Attachment(s)
Be sure you silicone RTV the slots that are filed out of the edge of the OEM Tail light where the Power wire feeds through so no moisture gets inside and wrecks havoc with the lights.


A few more pics. I just finished installing the Vision X HIL-STR Red LED Rock Lights at the same time, so there's a few of those here as well. I'll post a different thread on those so I don't hijack this great thread!

2five22 06-02-2013 04:42 PM

Thanks for posting about this. I am thinking of doing this very project and I did not factor in the soft top removal. Did Rigid Industries include a template for drilling the tail light housing or are installers supposed to use the bracket as a template?

Do they function well as a trail back up lamp?

vacca foeda 06-03-2013 05:41 PM

i was looking at something similar, but was thinking about mounting them under the tail light instead of over... but now i've got my eye on rigid ones that can be flush mounted. i'm thinking i may put those in the bumper itself.

kramer2k 06-04-2013 12:04 PM

I was also going to suggest mounting the lights under the tail lights. I saw some other people doing that to avoid the clearance issue with the soft top sail panels. You just swap the mounting brackets to the opposite side and they fit.

GlobalResponder 06-05-2013 01:35 AM

No, Rigid doesn't supply any kind of template. You just use the bracket as a template. Like I mentioned though before, you have to be VERY careful where you position the bracket because there just isn't much clearance for the nut on the inside of the tail lamp housing.

They are REALLY bright for lighting up the rear end. I really didn't know what to expect, but I'm VERY happy how it turned out.

caprob 06-05-2013 05:40 AM

Alley Lights
 
5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19dsniper (Post 3755020)
I have been a long time reader here and finally decided to join, so to everyone, hello.

Now with that said, i have tried searching the forum and havent found anything on these yet, so if i overlooked it, please forgive me and feel free to point me in the right dirrection.

I am looking at adding flood/diffused lights to the sides of my roof rack for area lighting when setting up camp and general task work. I have used my googlefu, yahoofu, bingfu, and every other kind of foo i can think of to find some good night beamshots of the Rigid industries SR-Q2 lights but i havent been able to find much. Are their not many people using them yet? I was thinking of using the SR-Q2 because RI claims that they are the same light as the Dually D2 only in a different, horizontal design. I figured that by using a light like the Q2 that it would help reduce the road noise.

Any thoughts on these lights?
Also, who here has used the Rigid Industries diffused lights on a roof rack as area lighting and how did you like it. I spent about 2 weeks trying to figure out which beam pattern would work better for my purpose, (either flood or diffused). I finally figured that i would give the diffused a shot with it sitting up on the roof rack and oriented down a bit.

Any thoughts or opinions on which light would be better, or which beam pattern would be better for my intended purpose?

ETA I already have a set of RI dually D2 driving beams on Pillar mounts. I will be moving these to the rear of the roof rack as back up/area lights as soon as my 50" E series arrives. Ships tomorrow!!!

Thanks for everyones help!

Hey Sniper, Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I installed 4 Rigid Dually Diffused on my roof rack. On the port side they are just under my ARB awning for the exact porpose you are looking for. I did have to replace the awning zipper handles with red line which looks awesome anyway because of the clearances. The starboard side I matched the positions amaing them at a 45deg angle also. These work great. I have the Dually Floods for my reverse lights on top of my GOBI stealth and the 40 inch in the front. I can't say enough great things about Rigid. Rock lights may be next.

GlobalResponder 06-06-2013 12:01 AM

Caprob....that is one SICK RIDE DUDE! I love it! You have just given me some great ideas!

Tell me more about your awning and how you mounted that. I wonder if they have the awning for the 2 Dr. JK's? Do you have a Manufacturer name for us?

NICE RIDE my friend...NICE RIDE!

GlobalResponder 06-06-2013 12:03 AM

Oh...your roof rack too. What Manufacturer did you wind up using? Any issues or headaches with it?

caprob 06-06-2013 07:17 AM

GOBI RR & ARB awning
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlobalResponder (Post 3830658)
Oh...your roof rack too. What Manufacturer did you wind up using? Any issues or headaches with it?

I LOVE them both! GOBI IMO is the very best! Check out their website.
Gobi Jeep

I havn't used my awning much YET! Becca & I are headed to Hot Springs, ARK (Superlift ORV) for the week of the July 4th and will get pleanty of practice deploying it. They designed it very well and the pole height is variable. The length for a 2dr I believe is the 1250mm. VERY inexpensive also! <$200
Awnings & Accessories
I plasti-dipped the rails before mounting then drilled all the way through the upper RR rail. I painted the holes for corrosion and cut 1.2" black plastic tubing into 1" lengths, slit them lengthwise and punched a hole in the middle. The idea was to isolate the awning rail from my rack for corrosion. ALL hardware I use is REAL 316 stainless with flat washers and "Nylock" nuts. (fm my yachting days) If the hardware sticks to a magnet, don't use it!

Lastly... The A-pillar... TAKE YOUR TIME on this. Slowly PLAN everything because you only get one shot at cutting the rectangular holes. I cut the roughly and used a small razor knife to sut to the edges. I love my switch covers too. Fm OTRATTW (Over the road and thru the woods)
OTRATTW
These rocker covers have to be sanded down to fit next to each other but well worth the time & effort. I taped 1/8th cardboard to the side of the switch holding them perfectly flat and just ran them back and forth on sandpaper until enough material had been removed. I the masked and sprayed the sanded part with flat black.

I know ALL of this sounds like a lot to do but if you break it down like and ant moving an ant hill (one grain at a time) it's not bad at all. Just take your time and enjoy the journey! IT'S WORTH IT!!!

Good luck and feel free to contact me. caprob@hotmail.com

fjnardo 06-06-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caprob (Post 3831274)
Lastly... The A-pillar... TAKE YOUR TIME on this. Slowly PLAN everything because you only get one shot at cutting the rectangular holes. I cut the roughly and used a small razor knife to sut to the edges. I love my switch covers too. Fm OTRATTW (Over the road and thru the woods)
OTRATTW
These rocker covers have to be sanded down to fit next to each other but well worth the time & effort. I taped 1/8th cardboard to the side of the switch holding them perfectly flat and just ran them back and forth on sandpaper until enough material had been removed. I the masked and sprayed the sanded part with flat black.

I know ALL of this sounds like a lot to do but if you break it down like and ant moving an ant hill (one grain at a time) it's not bad at all. Just take your time and enjoy the journey! IT'S WORTH IT!!!

Good luck and feel free to contact me. caprob@hotmail.com


Absolutely cool caprob!

2five22 06-15-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3824531)
I was also going to suggest mounting the lights under the tail lights. I saw some other people doing that to avoid the clearance issue with the soft top sail panels. You just swap the mounting brackets to the opposite side and they fit.


This would work perfectly on the passenger side, but the stock license plate light interferes with the under tail light mounting. It is going to be a while before I can consider a license plate relocation kit.

rgwinn 12-03-2013 01:09 AM

Good stuff, I was looking for something like this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.