Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2005 LJ cooling issues. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2005-lj-cooling-issues-242638.html)

HicksFromTheStix 05-14-2013 02:50 PM

2005 LJ cooling issues.

Had my 4.0 start overheating this weekend. Found a bulging upper radiator hose, and replaced it. Have a 180 degree thermostat in it that was put in last summer. Coolant is topped off, dont have any answers. Checked water pump and no leaks, apars to be working fine. Jeep has 70k in miles. Any suggestions?

Dextreme 05-14-2013 03:35 PM

Somehow the water isn't flowing...so the thermostat is not opening or the impellor fins on the waterpump might be shot. Or you could have a blockage in the radiator.

What coolant grade are you using?

HicksFromTheStix 05-14-2013 03:50 PM

Im using OReilly 50/50 mix. I just looked at it and its for older vehicles. That may be part of the problem. I also thought about just pulling the thermostat out. It may have gotten some debris in it. Thanks for your ideas.

UnlimitedLJ04 05-14-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HicksFromTheStix (Post 3755587)
Im using OReilly 50/50 mix. I just looked at it and its for older vehicles. That may be part of the problem. I also thought about just pulling the thermostat out. It may have gotten some debris in it. Thanks for your ideas.

Your Jeep needs HOAT coolant. Mixing other types of coolant with it will cause chemical reactions inside your cooling system, which will ultimately destroy the entire system.

here's more info:
HOAT Coolant Summary, and this video helps.

now that you've contaminated the system, you need to thoroughly flush it with distilled water, and start over using this procedure.

make sure the thermostat has a bleed hole, and will correctly bleed air from the system. also, the jeep should run at 195-210F, 180 is actually too cold.

Jerry Bransford 05-14-2013 03:56 PM

The factory specified thermostat is a 195 degree model, your computer & its programming will be much happier with that instead of the 180 presently installed. Not to mention a lower temp thermostat won't keep the engine any cooler when things get hot.

Also, make sure to never install a "fail safe" thermostat. They get stuck in the open position way too easily which means the engine won't warm up as quickly as normal which will keep the 02 sensor out of the loop which means less mpg & power.

Green LJRub 05-15-2013 09:13 PM

Spray the mud out of your radiator with a hose! Haha

HicksFromTheStix 05-21-2013 10:15 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions. We did find that the upper and lower radiator hoses needed to be replaced, as did the thermostat. My wife, before she left for our daughter's graduation, diagnosed it correctly by saying she didn't think the fan was turning fast enough. So after have numerous "mechanics" check it out, my wife ended up being the correct one. It was the fan clutch that had gone out. We flushed the system, and put G-05 coolant in it. She's running fine now. So if you're working on your rig, and your wife makes a suggestion, take my advice and listen.