Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   Aurora Led lights vs Rigid (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/aurora-led-lights-vs-rigid-242713.html)

EricsRubi 05-14-2013 08:28 PM

Aurora Led lights vs Rigid
 
I know that Aurora Led lights are the chinese copy-cat version of Rigid industries lights but they are a lot cheaper. I was wondering who had experience with these and how long they last/how well they fair to the climate and damage,etc? Is the brightness (lumens) up to par with Rigid industries or not so and thats why they are a lot cheaper apart from being chinese parts?

TXST8tj 05-15-2013 03:19 PM

Rigid may be a US company, but their lights use the same components as the Chinese versions...Aurora and Hanma.

It is very unfortunate, but I have a hard time buying a Rigid LED when they are priced the way they are.

carlojp 05-16-2013 04:18 AM

Get the original one if the budget permits you. Dont' settle on copy-cat versions because you can't be sure of the quality. imho

justin-branam 05-16-2013 10:04 AM

I own a pair of both the Rigid Dually D2's and the Aurora competition. I did some testing with them.

1- Is there a difference between the two? Yes, there absolutely is, which tells me, something must be different in regards to parts.

2- Is it enough to warrant the extra cost of the Rigids? Depends on what you are looking for.

3- Warranty is a big issue as well. 1 year for the Aurora's vs more or less a lifetime on the Rigids. Had one go out, and Rigid sent me a new one, 2 years later, no questions asked.

Personally, I will purchase Rigids from now on. PM me your email and I will send you some comparison pictures.

TXST8tj 05-16-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin-branam (Post 3761542)
I own a pair of both the Rigid Dually D2's and the Aurora competition. I did some testing with them.

1- Is there a difference between the two? Yes, there absolutely is, which tells me, something must be different in regards to parts.

2- Is it enough to warrant the extra cost of the Rigids? Depends on what you are looking for.

3- Warranty is a big issue as well. 1 year for the Aurora's vs more or less a lifetime on the Rigids. Had one go out, and Rigid sent me a new one, 2 years later, no questions asked.

Personally, I will purchase Rigids from now on. PM me your email and I will send you some comparison pictures.

It should be noted that the Rigid duallys use 5w LEDs (20w total) and the Aurora uses 3w LEDs (12w total). A lower output is expected.

My Hanma Duallys were $36 for the pair and are 16w.
The Rigid Duallys are $220 for a pair for 20w.

It has everything to do with what you are looking for and I certainly won't argue that, but for me personally, the $184 savings is completely worth the slightly lower output.


edit - just realized you said "D2" and I was referencing the standard Duallys. Regardless, the info stands.

justin-branam 05-16-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXST8tj (Post 3761900)
It should be noted that the Rigid duallys use 5w LEDs (20w total) and the Aurora uses 3w LEDs (12w total). A lower output is expected.

......................

edit - just realized you said "D2" and I was referencing the standard Duallys. Regardless, the info stands.

Yeah, essentially you are looking at Rigids 34.5 watts to the Aurora 30 watts. There is a noticeable difference in my opinion, but for the price difference like you mentioned, it might not be worth it to some. I'll be doing a full comparison as I mentioned in my other thread. Hopefully done by this weekend.

EricsRubi 05-18-2013 03:34 PM

Well the newer auroras I'm going to receive shortly are 20 watts (5w) per led. For 100$ i got a wiring kit, two covers, light lock nuts, and the 2 2inch lights.

NFRs2000NYC 05-29-2013 03:03 PM

I have both the "real D2s" and the fake D2s (Aurora.)

First, Aurora, unlike the rest of the chinese companies isn't a "fake." The produce their own circuit boards, which is something even rigid doesn't do. LEDs, gaskets, housings, etc are all made in China, no matter which lights you buy.

I compared my Rigid D2s to the Aurora lights. They are BOTH driving beam. The rigids have a wider spread than the Auroras but the Auroras are hotter (brighter) towards the center. The new Aurora lights are available in both 3w or 5w LED flavors (they will build per customer specifications)...the ones mentioned in some above posts are 3w flavor. Mine are the 5W flavor. Aurora is half the price of rigid. I own both, so I'm not just some fanboy badmouthing one or the other. Rigid has a patent on the optics, and it shows. The optics on the rigid lights are superior (as evidenced by the more even spread of light) but in my personal opinion, they are not two times better to warrant the price hike.

I have appealed to Rigid to rethink their pricing if they want to keep customers. I like Rigid. They are a great company that does great things. However, they were one of the first companies to market LED bars in the US, and that's great. Just like the first plasma TVs, they cost a lot since they were new and not many companies made them. Now, there are 200 companies making LED bars. Some are crap, some are great, but even the great bars are now half the price. I would pay a little bit more for rigid, but not 100% more. I have taken apart the rigid light and the aurora light, and they are, for lack of a better word, identical in quality.

WeekenderATX 10-15-2013 04:03 PM

I know this thread is old, but what site did y'all use to buy your LED's?
Thanks!

NFRs2000NYC 10-15-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekenderATX (Post 5388593)
I know this thread is old, but what site did y'all use to buy your LED's? Thanks!

Auroras are not easy to get in the US. I ordered mine from the factory directly in a bulk order. Some places online have the 10" bar but that's about it. You can order less units, but if you do that (less than 10) they will add another $30 per light, plus you need to pay shipping and customs. You can sometimes find them on eBay as well.

Bigc3031 10-15-2013 09:24 PM

The led diode in the Auroras that I saw were not centered in the reflectors where the Rigid's were perfect, the connector was cheaper too, I am sure there are other differences as well.

NFRs2000NYC 10-15-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigc3031 (Post 5397745)
The led diode in the Auroras that I saw were not centered in the reflectors where the Rigid's were perfect, the connector was cheaper too, I am sure there are other differences as well.

While that may be, rigid does not put the LEDs on their own boards. They buy the boards with the LEDs already on them, which are, you guessed it, made in China. My diodes on my 50" and my 10" auroras are just as good as my Rigid D2s. The connector on the auroras is the same exact one as the older rigid D2s (I believe rigid changed it to a different one now) and I have never had an issue with it. It is 100% watertight. While there may be a difference (besides the optics, which as I stated, are SLIGHTLY superior on the Rigids), it is not noticeable in any measurable way, but what is measurable, is that they cost half as much as rigid.

MagicMtnDan 10-15-2013 11:03 PM

I'm always amazed at people who spend up to $45,000 on a Jeep (and thousands more to modify them) complain about the price for the highest quality products.

At what point do people stop caring about quality of the product and service and company reputation and decide to buy sh!tty lights mass produced at some greasy little shack in China because they're cheaper?

How much do you think it costs a company to INNOVATE and design and market unique products? What do you think it costs a company to bring unique products to market first? And how long will it be before some company in China knocks off the product and tells you to buy theirs because it has more lumens for 1/3 the price? (When they don't even know what lumens are or how to spell the word?).

And will you complain about the cheap ass lights you bought when they fail after a year-and-a-half and you can't seem to get the company you bought them from to cover them under warranty?

At what point do you stop caring about quality and only worry about price?

And why didn't you buy an FJ Cruiser or 4x4 pickup or some other wannabe instead of a Jeep?

Oh, and what does your company do? Does it lead the industry or follow? What does it take for a company in your market be the market leader? And how do they deal with (cheap) Chinese product competition?

Just wondering...

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan (Post 5400193)
I'm always amazed at people who spend up to $45,000 on a Jeep (and thousands more to modify them) complain about the price for the highest quality products.

At what point do people stop caring about quality of the product and service and company reputation and decide to buy sh!tty lights mass produced at some greasy little shack in China because they're cheaper?

How much do you think it costs a company to INNOVATE and design and market unique products? What do you think it costs a company to bring unique products to market first? And how long will it be before some company in China knocks off the product and tells you to buy theirs because it has more lumens for 1/3 the price? (When they don't even know what lumens are or how to spell the word?).

And will you complain about the cheap ass lights you bought when they fail after a year-and-a-half and you can't seem to get the company you bought them from to cover them under warranty?

At what point do you stop caring about quality and only worry about price?

And why didn't you buy an FJ Cruiser or 4x4 pickup or some other wannabe instead of a Jeep?

Oh, and what does your company do? Does it lead the industry or follow? What does it take for a company in your market be the market leader? And how do they deal with (cheap) Chinese product competition?

Just wondering...

Im sensing some SERIOUS jimmy rustling. While you may blindly spend your money on product koolaid, some of us want to hear the truth, and the truth is, the rigids (that I own BTW) are made from the same exact chinese stuff as the chinese made chinese stuff. The LEXAN Rigid uses is the same GE Lexan that aurora uses, which is made in S.E. Asia. The LEDs they use are all made in Taiwan. The housings, gaskets, and screws are all made in china. The circuit boards rigid buys from China, while aurora makes their own. The wiring harnesses rigid uses are made in China, and are IDENTICAL to the Auroras. Rigid also didn't innovate anything. They may have fine tuned some things, but rigid isn't the first company to produce LED bars, far from it. As for copying the design, guess what? Thats done everywhere...from TVs, to computers, to cars, to trucks, EVERYWHERE. Audi came up with those LED headlight accents...how many vehicles have them now (including Jeep?) Thats how markets work. Something is popular, 1000 manufacturers jump on the bandwagon.

As for customer service...while I actually received great customer service from Aurora when I needed it, the point is, for some, its not worth paying for. If something costs twice the price, some would rather have a unit break on them, and they can buy a whole other unit and STILL come out on top. I have explained the rigid situation many times. They were the first to market LED bars on the US market, which let them charge a lot of money, which is why I bought D2s in the first place. However, thats the same as when Pioneer came out with the first plasma TV. IT cost $10000. How much are they now? Dirt cheap. Why? Because 1000 companies make them. Now that a heap of companies make them, the price plummeted. Rigid however, did not adjust their pricing structure to move with the market, and instead, chose to spend the money on advertising (sponsoring teams.) That is perfectly fine, and is their call.

Having said that, your post illustrates how people blindly buy something because they were "told" something is the best. If you knew about this market, you would know that now its all about a sexy aluminum case with a cool name. The actual lights inside are all the same, since NONE of these manufacturers actually produce anything, and all their parts come from overseas. You also have no experience with both companies in question, so I think your opinion is just plain bashing.

Finally, to answer your question about when people stop caring about quality...people don't stop caring about quality. People weigh price vs benefit. Are the rigids better than Auroras? Yes, I said that many times...their OPTICS (something they hold a patent on) are superior. In my personal non scientific opinion, I'd say the rigid optics are about 10% better at MOST. Now, the rest of the unit is exactly the same as far as the end user is concerned. They both use brand name lexan, leds, etc. The rigids however, cost twice as much. If you know economics, you have a law of diminishing returns. At a certain point, it is no longer worth it to buy the better product because it is priced out of the market. Image a Wrangler sport cost 25K and a Rubicon costs 32K...that is a reasonable amount of money to upgrade to the rubicon (for many...some still prefer to spend that 7K on their own mods, but lets leave that out.) Now imagine a sport is 25K but the rubicon is 50K. Is it worth it now? (And there is a much bigger difference between a sport/rubi than aurora/rigid.)

To sum up, you can preach what you want to (no matter how much fanboy logic is involved...whats up with the FJ crap) but at least have some facts on your side, otherwise you just sound like someone pissed in your corn flakes and you just want to bash a product that you have never used.

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 09:00 AM

These guys did the most exhaustive comparison of LEDs that I have seen. Its 13 parts. Unfortunately, it's in Russian so most wont understand them, but I do)...their conclusion was that Rigid and Aurora are the best two on the market, the nod going to aurora based on price and testing.

This is interesting BTW...you may not understand what they are saying, but you will hear "aurora" and "rigid" so you can understand the test.

Тест LED фар PROLIGHT vs RIGID INDUSTRIES vs AURORA. Часть 13. Краш-тест - YouTube

WeekenderATX 10-16-2013 12:44 PM

^ what he said. :-P

MagicMtnDan 10-16-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5406169)
Having said that, your post illustrates how people blindly buy something because they were "told" something is the best. If you knew about this market, you would know that now its all about a sexy aluminum case with a cool name. The actual lights inside are all the same, since NONE of these manufacturers actually produce anything, and all their parts come from overseas. You also have no experience with both companies in question, so I think your opinion is just plain bashing.


So much blather and I don't have a desire to respond to all of it.

Your arguments about TVs and LEDs are both specious at best.

You do realize that there are a range of flat screen products with a wide range of quality and performance. Throwing them all in one lump is silly.

And you say they both make products in China - that's like saying two products are made in the US - it's only relevant if you're concerned about the country they're made in.

And you say that since they both use GE Lexan and LEDs sourced in China they must be the same. Brilliant argument but it shows your lack of understanding of the issues.

Your superficial comparisons are just that and they're meaningless because of it (I see the text you typed but the amount of words don't carry the weight of intelligence or fact).

You spend no time nor give any credence to what a company does to innovate, design, engineer, nor do you care to talk about what a company does to make a quality product. You only talk about where parts are made and you argument that all (LED) parts made in China must be the same are as useless as the rest of your post.

You have no idea if the two companies actually use ANY components that are the same. Nor do you know anything about how and where they are assembled or where the rest of the products come from, etc.

You'd be better off just saying you'd rather spend less money on a product that you think is as good (or better) - whatever the case may be.

And why didn't you buy a cheaper 4x4 instead of the Jeep if you're so concerned about price?
FYI: the FJ Cruiser is an alternative to the Jeep.

Sinister6 10-16-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan (Post 5422897)
So much blather and I don't have a desire to respond to all of it. Your arguments about TVs and LEDs are both specious at best. You do realize that there are a range of flat screen products with a wide range of quality and performance. Throwing them all in one lump is silly. And you say they both make products in China - that's like saying two products are made in the US - it's only relevant if you're concerned about the country they're made in. And you say that since they both use GE Lexan and LEDs sourced in China they must be the same. Brilliant argument but it shows your lack of understanding of the issues. Your superficial comparisons are just that and they're meaningless because of it (I see the text you typed but the amount of words don't carry the weight of intelligence or fact). You spend no time nor give any credence to what a company does to innovate, design, engineer, nor do you care to talk about what a company does to make a quality product. You only talk about where parts are made and you argument that all (LED) parts made in China must be the same are as useless as the rest of your post. You have no idea if the two companies actually use ANY components that are the same. Nor do you know anything about how and where they are assembled or where the rest of the products come from, etc. You'd be better off just saying you'd rather spend less money on a product that you think is as good (or better) - whatever the case may be. And why didn't you buy a cheaper 4x4 instead of the Jeep if you're so concerned about price? FYI: the FJ Cruiser is an alternative to the Jeep.

What is your point? Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool rather than to speak and remove all doubt! If you don't have anything intelligent to add ( reading your posts it's obvious you don't) then don't say anything.

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan (Post 5422897)
So much blather and I don't have a desire to respond to all of it.

Your arguments about TVs and LEDs are both specious at best.

You do realize that there are a range of flat screen products with a wide range of quality and performance. Throwing them all in one lump is silly.

And you say they both make products in China - that's like saying two products are made in the US - it's only relevant if you're concerned about the country they're made in.

And you say that since they both use GE Lexan and LEDs sourced in China they must be the same. Brilliant argument but it shows your lack of understanding of the issues.

Your superficial comparisons are just that and they're meaningless because of it (I see the text you typed but the amount of words don't carry the weight of intelligence or fact).

You spend no time nor give any credence to what a company does to innovate, design, engineer, nor do you care to talk about what a company does to make a quality product. You only talk about where parts are made and you argument that all (LED) parts made in China must be the same are as useless as the rest of your post.

You have no idea if the two companies actually use ANY components that are the same. Nor do you know anything about how and where they are assembled or where the rest of the products come from, etc.

You'd be better off just saying you'd rather spend less money on a product that you think is as good (or better) - whatever the case may be.

And why didn't you buy a cheaper 4x4 instead of the Jeep if you're so concerned about price?
FYI: the FJ Cruiser is an alternative to the Jeep.

WTF are you babbling about? Im the one that owns BOTH products, so I think I may know a thing or two about them. Tell me, what does Rigid produce? The cree LEDs? The GE lexan? the aluminum housing that is produced by 1 or 2 factories in china? How about the chinese rubber gaskets...are they made of magic rubber? Since you know so much, why don't you tell me the difference between the two lights? I noticed you ignored my link about showing the rigid light cracking, while the aurora was just scratched....Tell me, what did rigid engineer (besides the optics?) You probably think Alienware computers are the best on the market right? Nevermind the fact that all they do is assemble components that OTHER companies make. Are you going to prove in here that the cree LEDs used by Rigid are better than the cree LEDs used by Aurora? How about the GE lexan? Is the one rigid uses better?

As for flatscreens...like Sinister put it...either back up your BS, or stop looking like a fool. Do you know how many companies make LCD TVs? I bet you don't know. You'll probably say Sony, LG, Samsung, Pioneer,Sharp, Bang and Olufsen, etc etc etc. I bet you didn't know that Sharp and Samsung are the ONLY companies on the planet producing LCD panels, and ALL TVs on the market use their panels. The only thing they add are their own video processors. As for TVs vs LEDs, actually the comparison is spot on. There are hundred of LED bars, ranging from dirt cheap, to mid level, to high level, to crazy level....just like TVs. According to you, the most expensive is the best, so I assume you have a bang and olufsen TV hanging on your wall right? Its 4 times the price of the best samsung TV, and no better, but since it costs more, and looks prettier, it MUST be better.


Your entire post is filled with nothing but hot air. You knock everything I said with its wrong, its stupid, its cheap, etc etc etc, but yet you don't provide a single verifiable fact.

If you are going to talk the talk, back it up.

mcelopez 10-16-2013 10:07 PM

I'll go with the ones rhat are friendlier to my budget.

MagicMtnDan 10-16-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5424593)
WTF are you babbling about? Im the one that owns BOTH products, so I think I may know a thing or two about them. Tell me, what does Rigid produce? The cree LEDs? The GE lexan? the aluminum housing that is produced by 1 or 2 factories in china? How about the chinese rubber gaskets...are they made of magic rubber? Since you know so much, why don't you tell me the difference between the two lights? I noticed you ignored my link about showing the rigid light cracking, while the aurora was just scratched....Tell me, what did rigid engineer (besides the optics?) You probably think Alienware computers are the best on the market right? Nevermind the fact that all they do is assemble components that OTHER companies make. Are you going to prove in here that the cree LEDs used by Rigid are better than the cree LEDs used by Aurora? How about the GE lexan? Is the one rigid uses better?

As for flatscreens...like Sinister put it...either back up your BS, or stop looking like a fool. Do you know how many companies make LCD TVs? I bet you don't know. You'll probably say Sony, LG, Samsung, Pioneer,Sharp, Bang and Olufsen, etc etc etc. I bet you didn't know that Sharp and Samsung are the ONLY companies on the planet producing LCD panels, and ALL TVs on the market use their panels. The only thing they add are their own video processors. As for TVs vs LEDs, actually the comparison is spot on. There are hundred of LED bars, ranging from dirt cheap, to mid level, to high level, to crazy level....just like TVs. According to you, the most expensive is the best, so I assume you have a bang and olufsen TV hanging on your wall right? Its 4 times the price of the best samsung TV, and no better, but since it costs more, and looks prettier, it MUST be better.


Your entire post is filled with nothing but hot air. You knock everything I said with its wrong, its stupid, its cheap, etc etc etc, but yet you don't provide a single verifiable fact.

If you are going to talk the talk, back it up.


I'm not going to write a paper trying to educate you about what a company makes, doesn't make, what makes a company's products better, what innovation is, why products cost more, etc., etc. You're a consumer, make your own decisions and tell us how all LEDs are the same because they're made in China :lmao:

You're wrong about the LCD panel manufacturers for TVs and you should apologize for your name-calling and insults but I won't wait since you'll soon be calling me more names. Instead you can tap dance around these facts (as of 3/13/13 - that's THIS year):

SANTA CLARA, CALIF, March 13, 2013—LCD TV panel manufacturers are planning less aggressive business strategies for 2013 as LCD TV demand growth slows, according to the latest NPD DisplaySearch Quarterly LCD TV Value Chain Report. Panel makers are moving to avoid an oversupply of LCD TV panels. This involves a drastic change in business models, which includes developing strategic alliances, making capacity allocation improvements, and expanding product portfolios to include a larger variety of panel sizes. LCD TV panel manufacturers hope that by moving to larger screen sizes, they can decrease unit shipments while increasing total area shipped, thus boosting their bottom lines.

“Consumers are focused on TV prices, while brands have been focused on TV features. This disconnect has resulted in reduced demand and profits for TV supply chain participants in 2012,” said Deborah Yang, NPD DisplaySearch Research Director. “A misalignment in panel size portfolios between buyers and sellers could result in supply constraints. Panel makers and TV brands are trying to strengthen their business portfolios and enhance their bargaining power with supply chain participants in order to improve profitability and gain a competitive edge.”

Taking these factors into account, along with the aggressive TV shipment plans of some TV brands (in particular the top two Korean TV brands and Chinese TV makers), NPD DisplaySearch forecasts 4% Y/Y growth in LCD TV panel shipments for 2013 and 11% Y/Y growth in TV shipments planned by surveyed TV brands. Samsung and LG, for example, are working with Sharp to increase panel supply in 2013, mostly for 32” panels.

Table 1: LCD TV Panel Shipments and Targets by Supplier (M units)
Supplier

AUO

BOE

CEC-Panda

Chimei Innolux

China Star

InfoVision

LG Display

Panasonic LCD

Samsung

Sharp

Link: Slowing LCD TV Demand Alters Panel Manufacturers

:mooning:

NFRs2000NYC 10-17-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan (Post 5430153)
I'm not going to write a paper trying to educate you about what a company makes, doesn't make, what makes a company's products better, what innovation is, why products cost more, etc., etc. You're a consumer, make your own decisions and tell us how all LEDs are the same because they're made in China :lmao: You're wrong about the LCD panel manufacturers for TVs and you should apologize for your name-calling and insults but I won't wait since you'll soon be calling me more names. Instead you can tap dance around these facts (as of 3/13/13 - that's THIS year): SANTA CLARA, CALIF, March 13, 2013—LCD TV panel manufacturers are planning less aggressive business strategies for 2013 as LCD TV demand growth slows, according to the latest NPD DisplaySearch Quarterly LCD TV Value Chain Report. Panel makers are moving to avoid an oversupply of LCD TV panels. This involves a drastic change in business models, which includes developing strategic alliances, making capacity allocation improvements, and expanding product portfolios to include a larger variety of panel sizes. LCD TV panel manufacturers hope that by moving to larger screen sizes, they can decrease unit shipments while increasing total area shipped, thus boosting their bottom lines. “Consumers are focused on TV prices, while brands have been focused on TV features. This disconnect has resulted in reduced demand and profits for TV supply chain participants in 2012,” said Deborah Yang, NPD DisplaySearch Research Director. “A misalignment in panel size portfolios between buyers and sellers could result in supply constraints. Panel makers and TV brands are trying to strengthen their business portfolios and enhance their bargaining power with supply chain participants in order to improve profitability and gain a competitive edge.” Taking these factors into account, along with the aggressive TV shipment plans of some TV brands (in particular the top two Korean TV brands and Chinese TV makers), NPD DisplaySearch forecasts 4% Y/Y growth in LCD TV panel shipments for 2013 and 11% Y/Y growth in TV shipments planned by surveyed TV brands. Samsung and LG, for example, are working with Sharp to increase panel supply in 2013, mostly for 32” panels. Table 1: LCD TV Panel Shipments and Targets by Supplier (M units) Supplier AUO BOE CEC-Panda Chimei Innolux China Star InfoVision LG Display Panasonic LCD Samsung Sharp Link: Slowing LCD TV Demand Alters Panel Manufacturers :mooning:

As expected, thanks for ruining a perfectly good and informative thread with your utter googled nonsense. You are a great asset to the forum. You can't back up anything you claimed, just typical internet bs. Hopefully members see how full of it you are and disregard everything you post, and I don't mean just in this thread. As for cree LEDs mostly made in Asia ( http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...09/daily5.html )
I still find it very funny that you own NEITHER product, but feel like you can comment in this thread. Typical of a forum troll.

WeekenderATX 10-17-2013 10:22 AM

ummm... to get us back on topic, anyone else have (firsthand) experience with the Auroras?
I also found these on ebay. The round form factor is kinda cool...
2pcs 10W 900LM CREE LED Offroad Work Lamp Spot Beam Light for ATV Jeep Truck 4WD | eBay

NFRs2000NYC 10-17-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekenderATX (Post 5438185)
ummm... to get us back on topic, anyone else have (firsthand) experience with the Auroras?
I also found these on ebay. The round form factor is kinda cool...
2pcs 10W 900LM CREE LED Offroad Work Lamp Spot Beam Light for ATV Jeep Truck 4WD | eBay

Can't comment on the lights in your link, but like I said in many other Aurora threads, I own BOTH. I own both rigid lights and aurora lights. Both are built the same. There is no difference in build quality as far as the customer is concerned. Rigid optics are a little bit better, in terms of them spreading the beam more evenly, I'd say about 10% better. Auroras are brighter in the center. Auroras are half the price. Rigid customer service isn't all its cracked up to be, just read other forums. Guy had a crack in his lexan, rigid wanted him to ship the light (at his expense) and pay for return shipping, as well as pay for the labor and part IF they deem the crack was his "fault."

Aurora LED 4x4 Offroad and Marine Light bars test brighter than RIGID INDUSTRIES

WeekenderATX 10-17-2013 10:50 AM

Found this site for Auroras:
W-Series 4-LED Working Light, White LEDs
$79 each, includes harness
But I came across this bad boy too:
Cannon - LED, HID, and Halogen Lighting | Off Road Lighting | Offroad LED Lighting | Mine Lighting | Mining Lighting | Marine Lighting | Agriculture Lighting | Defense Lighting | Industrial Lighting | Commercial Lighting | Automotive Lighting
Freakin "light cannon"? Sign me up. :-)
It looks like it uses the same technology that's in a Streamlight. I own one and it's crazy bright out to 200+ yards.

NFRs2000NYC 10-17-2013 10:53 AM

I have the 6 LED rigids and auroras, so they put out more light than the 4 LED units, but both are great. The vision X units are nice, but they are spots, and very very tight spots (similar to what cops use). If you go with those, you'll need something else for flood purposes.

WeekenderATX 10-17-2013 11:09 AM

ahh. Ok. Thanks. :-)
Are your Rigids and Auroras floods or spots? I'm leaning toward spots.
Also that link I attached shows standard 3w LED's (x4), or 5w option for $10 more.
Thoughts?

WeekenderATX 10-17-2013 11:11 AM

I may also just do one on the driver's side, rather than two, just for simplicity. Or should I install the pair?

NFRs2000NYC 10-17-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekenderATX (Post 5439081)
ahh. Ok. Thanks. :-)
Are your Rigids and Auroras floods or spots? I'm leaning toward spots.
Also that link I attached shows standard 3w LED's (x4), or 5w option for $10 more.
Thoughts?

The rigid d2s and aurora "d2s" are driving (combination of floor and spot) pattern. My 50" aurora is a spot and my 10" is a flood.

Just for comparison....here is the aurora and rigid harness....

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps6b9c0f88.jpg

(full disclosure, rigid has since changed the harness to a deutsche connector, as did aurora)


Housings...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psc4b71c68.jpg

Both are solid aluminum. The extra hole on the right side of the aurora (on the right) is for the military breather.

PCBs

Rigid Dually (not D2)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps24a8523f.jpg

Aurora 6 LED Light
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdcc699b2.jpg

Also, one thing I did notice, for some reason, the rigids get MUCH hotter when in use for a long time, honestly don't know why. Doesn't seem to hinder performance, just an observation.

WeekenderATX 10-17-2013 11:46 AM

Wow! Thanks for extra pics. Very helpful.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.