Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   10a lift discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/10a-lift-discussion-242742.html)

profunctional 05-15-2013 07:36 AM

10a lift discussion

I'm going to lift my 4dr 10a and have narrowed it down to a Mopar 2" with Bilsteins or a mopar 3" with Fox.

From what I understand the 10a sits 1" higher than a regular rubicon. So I'd really be netting a 1" lift with a 2". Then only net a 2" lift with a 3 inch kit.

For all your 10a owners, what are you going with for lift options?

profunctional 05-15-2013 06:22 PM

Bump. Nobody?

verax 05-15-2013 07:29 PM

That's what I am hearing as well. The 10a has 1 inch longer springs, that are more tightly coiled than a regular rubi.

I'm only building a light trail running, no rocks or anything. I mainly want to get some extra clearance for 34's. I'm doing an AEV 2.5, and planning on getting 1.5 out of it. After Winch, and tire carrier, I'm thinking I'll be at about 1 inch over stock 10a.

I'm doing mine next week, and will post results.

profunctional 05-15-2013 09:03 PM

Please do update with pics. What was your reason for going with AEV 2.5? Andy why 34" over 35"

jwilson2598 05-15-2013 11:20 PM

If anyone lifts their 10A and would be interested in parting with the coils, let me know. I was thinking about using them to get another 1" lift on top of my leveling kit. Curious to see the part numbers on the coils and if the shocks are standard Rubi shocks or not.

verax 05-16-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profunctional (Post 3759811)
Please do update with pics. What was your reason for going with AEV 2.5? Andy why 34" over 35"

Since I'm not doing anything too crazy with mine, I don't need a TON of lift. It's my DD, and most of my off-road work will be old forestry service roads, and the like. So, I wanted to strike a compromise with normal function, a couple extra MPGs, and the kind of work I'll be doing with it. :)

The reason for the AEV is that from what I've heard, most people say that it's the best feeling lift after it's installed, and rides better than the factory.

JKmuder 05-17-2013 09:36 PM

I ordered the RC 3.5 series 2 its going on next Friday

verax 05-25-2013 07:17 PM

Didn't have time to put a tape on it before I did the lift. (I did not do it myself) These pictures are with AEV 2.5, stock tires, AEV tire carrier, and nothing else. The images blow up much bigger when you click through them to get real detail on exact height. Hope it helps:

Back:
http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/2...0130525008.jpg

Front:
http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/1...130525009b.jpg

Middle
http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/8...0130525014.jpg

Can't wait to get the new tires. Looks a little goofy at the moment. :) It's not raked at all, it's just that I'm parked on a slight decline.
http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/22/wp20130525001.jpg

JKmuder 05-25-2013 07:29 PM

Install went well

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...14099010-2.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...415EB407-1.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...8917ADDA49.jpg

Sent from my i5 using just one thumb and tapatalk

Doctorsti 05-25-2013 07:31 PM

Based on my stock measurements that 2.5" lift gave you right around an inch, maybe 7/8ths. My fronts measure just over 37 inches to lowest part of fender lip and the rock rail center to ground is at 19 1/4-19 1/2 depending on side.

Now its time for some 35's sir!

verax 05-25-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorsti (Post 3792757)
Based on my stock measurements that 2.5" lift gave you right around an inch, maybe 7/8ths. My fronts measure just over 37 inches to lowest part of fender lip and the rock rail center to ground is at 19 1/4-19 1/2 depending on side.

Now its time for some 35's sir!

Yeah, that is what I ballparked as well, and what I was after.

Still deciding on wheels, then 35's it is! :) (I decided to move up to 35s instead of 34s)

Doctorsti 05-25-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verax (Post 3792765)
Yeah, that is what I ballparked as well, and what I was after.

Still deciding on wheels, then 35's it is! :) (I decided to move up to 35s instead of 34s)

Yeah I think it looks great and an inch or so, assuming 35's on appropriately backspaced rims fits, should look just about perfect for a DD. that is also what I'm after so I will jeep AEV in mind as this is my plan for next year on my 10a

verax 05-25-2013 07:47 PM

One other note. I also went with the AEV geometry brackets. The Jeep feels fantastic now. Doesn't lean on tight turns, and no nose dive on heavy braking. It's really quite remarkable

genesbro 05-25-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profunctional (Post 3757050)
I'm going to lift my 4dr 10a and have narrowed it down to a Mopar 2" with Bilsteins or a mopar 3" with Fox.

From what I understand the 10a sits 1" higher than a regular rubicon. So I'd really be netting a 1" lift with a 2". Then only net a 2" lift with a 3 inch kit.

I was going to go with the mopar 2" lift but decided to trim the fenders after taking it on a flex test today. Took it out where I could get it to full flex and when I heard the fenders scraping I stopped. Checked and was sitting on the bump stops so looked up in the fender and if I trim the outer lip then it will clear just fine running the toyo 35s on procomp rims from my 09 X.

As a matter of fact I saw signs where the stock tires had rubbed from last weekends flex fest at Buzzard Canyon on topless day. They had rubbed on the frame at the right front and also on the inside top right rear. So if anyone tries to run taller tires on the stock rims they will for sure rub at full flex on the trails since the stock ones did slightly.

MTH 05-25-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Why a mopar lift?

You know it's just a rebranded lift manufactured by another company and that it offers no warranty benefit over any other aftermarket company, right?

Your dollar goes further with other companies.

jwilson2598 05-26-2013 08:44 AM

Small hijack...can anyone who's lifted their 10A Unlimited post up the part numbers on the tags on the springs? Curious to see where they fall in line with the stock JK springs.

Doctorsti 05-26-2013 08:56 AM

This is the best I have now for rock rail to ground on a stock 10A.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps796694a6.jpg

4ssl 05-26-2013 10:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've decided against adding a lift for now...

Added 34" KM2s, trimmed the rock rails, and added 2" bump stops front and rear. So far so good on the trails. :thumb:

bcbud 05-26-2013 10:21 AM

Would those who always state that the Mopar 3" lift is just rebranded please list the lift contents individually by manufacturer so I can purchase the exact lift part by part.

JeepHerz 05-26-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbud (Post 3794067)
Would those who always state that the Mopar 3" lift is just rebranded please list the lift contents individually by manufacturer so I can purchase the exact lift part by part.

That's a little hard to do considering all the parts are on the Jeep and not everything is branded. Most of the parts were Tera Flex. Its basically a TF lift with Fox Shocks and extra bits. The kit only makes sense price wise if you want Fox, the limit straps, spacers, bump stops etc. By the time we added up all those components (which we wanted) the Mopar kit was cheaper than buying separate. Even the Tera Flex guy recommended the kit- we called them for technical questions and they were great considering we were buying "Mopar".
That's the whole point of the kit. I didn't buy Mopar because of any warranty- in this case I bought it because I got all the components I wanted in one kit- and it was cheaper that way. At least it was a year ago.

MTH 05-26-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbud (Post 3794067)

Why do you want to do that?

Evaluate the kit on its own merits. It may, as JeepHerz suggested, work out. But there's nothing special about it merely because it's "mopar." There's no warranty benefit or any other benefit that comes with the mopar name alone.

For awhile the mopar lifts were made by Rubicon Express. The past few years they've been mostly made by TeraFlex. But you can, for example, get a lift that's even better than a TeraFlex lift.

A lot of folks get clobbered on the cost buying a "mopar" lift from the dealer.

m998dna 05-26-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 3794304)
Why do you want to do that?

Evaluate the kit on its own merits. It may, as JeepHerz suggested, work out. But there's nothing special about it merely because it's "mopar." There's no warranty benefit or any other benefit that comes with the mopar name alone.

For awhile the mopar lifts were made by Rubicon Express. The past few years they've been mostly made by TeraFlex. But you can, for example, get a lift that's even better than a TeraFlex lift.

A lot of folks get clobbered on the cost buying a "mopar" lift from the dealer.

No warranty benefit? ... not according to my dealer.

m998dna 05-26-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ssl (Post 3794055)

Added 34" KM2s, trimmed the rock rails, and added 2" bump stops front and rear. So far so good on the trails. :thumb:

It looks like you added spacers as well? ...

m998dna 05-26-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Another alternative is a TF 1" isolator up front and .5" isolator in the rear. That will be about the same as an advertised Mopar/TF 2" spring kit.

Then buy and install Fox 2.0 Performance shocks valved correctly from Teraflex or move directy to King OEM and adjust to your desire.

King Shocks - Jeep OEM

JeepHerz 05-26-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m998dna (Post 3794350)

Dealers buy/install Mopar parts. Dealers/the service department warrants their work done with Mopar. Just like a Jeep/4x4 shop warrants his Rock Crawler, TF etc. lift. Jeep does not warrant the lift as part of your factory warranty. Aftermarket is aftermarket no matter where it came from.

m998dna 05-26-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz (Post 3794483)
Dealers buy/install Mopar parts. Dealers/the service department warrants their work done with Mopar. Just like a Jeep/4x4 shop warrants his Rock Crawler, TF etc. lift. Jeep does not warrant the lift as part of your factory warranty. Aftermarket is aftermarket no matter where it came from.

I've been through the regimen... dealers won't touch something they didn't install and they have the power to document anything they wish in the factory database.

I'd rather have them on my side than save a few bucks..

I will leave my aftermarket off-road shop experiences out of this discussion. I've seen more behind the scenes than most over 30 years. A shop that doesn't allow a customer to collaborate with those doing the work as it's being performed will not get my business - especially if they play the liability card.

That's a huge red flag in my book.

MTH 05-26-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m998dna (Post 3794350)

Your dealer is incorrect.

AverageJK 05-26-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ssl (Post 3794055)

Nice shots on Broken Arrow Trail!

bcbud 05-26-2013 06:16 PM

OK MTH, my whole point is that I want the exact Mopar 3" lift but want to source it piece by piece to see if it can be done for less. If it can't then the Mopar lift is at a fair price point. There may be better lifts but I want this one.

m998dna 05-26-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verax (Post 3792812)
One other note. I also went with the AEV geometry brackets. The Jeep feels fantastic now. Doesn't lean on tight turns, and no nose dive on heavy braking. It's really quite remarkable

When you get a chance can you post more photos of your AEV LCA drop brackets? This is an important aspect to correcting angles and on-rode feel as you increase lift over 4"... however I see AEV advertises the benefits with a 2.5" lift as well.

Since Jeep did nothing for our 10A's from an engineering perspective to correct suspension and driveline angles over a standard Sport or Rubicon, this could be the solution to remedy our factory feel... i.e., wander, chatter and the other nuances you mentioned above.

Rubicon Express was the first to design drop brackets for their advertised 4.5" SuperFlex lifts many years ago. However I believe the bolt on bracket included dropping the UCA as well. This was way before long arm kits were available.

AEV Drop Brackets

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...racket_tbl.jpg