Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Where to camp in Moab? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/where-to-camp-in-moab-242801.html)

Jwolfer 05-15-2013 11:44 AM

Where to camp in Moab?

My wife and I are going to be stopping in Moab for some exploring for a couple of days and we are looking for campgroud recommendations. We plan on doing Top of the World, Chicken Corners, and Hells Revenge (if I can convince the wife). We are stopping in the middle of a road trip so we may have to take it a little easier than I would like to so we don't get stranded.

SuicideSaints 05-15-2013 11:54 AM

If you are looking for a Campground all the ones next to the Colorado river are nice. They are a small fee or you can primitive camp for free. There is no fire ban right now so that helps. The town of Moab has a few hotels. I always camp and big bend campgrounds off of highway 128.

Jwolfer 05-15-2013 11:55 AM

I was actually looking at big bend. I like the BLM areas but since they don't take reservations I am a little nervous that we won't have a place to stay once we get there.

Lbear 05-15-2013 12:02 PM

Yeah, I have the same question. We will be there end of August, start of September. The reservation sites are all booked on our camp out date so how do we make sure we don't wind up sleeping in the Jeep or wander for hours looking for an open site?

jeepndon 05-15-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwolfer (Post 3757852)
I was actually looking at big bend. I like the BLM areas but since they don't take reservations I am a little nervous that we won't have a place to stay once we get there.

I went out there during Easter jeep safari weekend and was also nervous about geting one of the blm spots but I found like 5 without issue and I got there late thursday night about 10pm. think most people dont want to pay for camping and try finding a free site. Also check the KOA campground see if they have avalibule spots as a last resort.

Jwolfer 05-15-2013 02:46 PM

Thanks for the tip. We don't mind looking for a bit but I don't want finding a spot to turn into an all day event.

YJmaddness 05-15-2013 02:55 PM

There are camp grounds in town that are nice too. I'm sure they will have spots. If all else fails check out AreaBFE, that's where I usually stay. Its about 15 miles south of town, it is a private off road park. free access and camping and a lot of trail options on the property.(mostly harder though). Areabfe.com I think.

SuicideSaints 05-15-2013 02:59 PM

I have camped at big bend numerous times, over labor and memorial day without issue. There were always sites open and I have actually got the same site every time. I want to say there is like 5-6 campgrounds along 128 if you cant find any at big bend.

JayhawkDMD 05-15-2013 02:59 PM

We were there a couple weeks ago and spent a night at devils kitchen in Canyonlands NP. You take the elephant hill trail to get there and it has amazing views. I would highly recommend it. Make reservations through the canyonlands website.

jeepndon 05-15-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwolfer (Post 3758481)
Thanks for the tip. We don't mind looking for a bit but I don't want finding a spot to turn into an all day event.

check this
BLM Campgrounds surrounding Moab, Utah