Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Covering the pinch seam? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/covering-the-pinch-seam-243038.html)

woansleftpeg 05-16-2013 12:41 PM

Covering the pinch seam?
 
I recently replaced my Sahara steps with Smittybilt SRC Side Armor which I really like, but the big downside is that now the pinch seam is really visible and frankly, it's ugly. I was thinking of ways to try and cover it and the best I can come up with is to see if I can get a strip of plastic or metal trim from Home Depot, but before I embark upon a DIY job has anyone else done this and got any ideas or suggestions?

Remmy18 05-16-2013 01:04 PM

Quick trim with a sawzall and a couple squirts of rattle can. Prob solved

Barmanvarn 05-16-2013 01:06 PM

Some opt for throwing some rubi rails on to hide it. I think it looks nice with them.

woansleftpeg 05-16-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3762010)
Some opt for throwing some rubi rails on to hide it. I think it looks nice with them.

Will they fit with the Side Armor on there as well? I've not seen rubi rails before so I'm not familiar with their size or fit.

Barmanvarn 05-16-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3762057)

Will they fit with the Side Armor on there as well? I've not seen rubi rails before so I'm not familiar with their size or fit.

I won't pretend to know the answer to that. I know they will fit with my ace rock rails. I know that doesn't answer your question though.

dav5942 05-16-2013 01:59 PM

The Ruby rails will cover the seam but they are too long and you will probably want to cut them along with the seam.

woansleftpeg 05-16-2013 02:04 PM

They're pretty expensive as well, even second hand. It's only for looks, not protection.

Remmy18 05-16-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remmy18 (Post 3762001)
Quick trim with a sawzall and a couple squirts of rattle can. Prob solved

Ahhhh, I see what you're talking about. My bad, I thought you meant just the rear corner. I wouldn't cut the whole bottom seam. There's got to be some cheap black plastic edge trim you can snap on or something close. Maybe even just mask it off and hit the seam only with some flat black so it doesn't stand out..

woansleftpeg 05-16-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remmy18 (Post 3762241)
Ahhhh, I see what you're talking about. My bad, I thought you meant just the rear corner. I wouldn't cut the whole bottom seam. There's got to be some cheap black plastic edge trim you can snap on or something close. Maybe even just mask it off and hit the seam only with some flat black so it doesn't stand out..

I'm with you, I don't want to cut it off - I want to retain the option of returning the vehicle entirely to stock should I trade it. I really just want to cover up the row of bolt holes all the way along.

I'll see what I can come up with over the course of the weekend. There has to be something at HD or Lowes that will do the job - the biggest problem is that the Jeep is black, so I might end up with an aluminium strip. I know how everyone likes bling on Jeeps.

Remmy18 05-16-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3762265)

I'm with you, I don't want to cut it off - I want to retain the option of returning the vehicle entirely to stock should I trade it. I really just want to cover up the row of bolt holes all the way along.

I'll see what I can come up with over the course of the weekend. There has to be something at HD or Lowes that will do the job - the biggest problem is that the Jeep is black, so I might end up with an aluminium strip. I know how everyone likes bling on Jeeps.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had an 08 black 2door with those exact rails, which I liked a lot. Maybe a thin black strip of metal you could drill and mount using the existing holes in the seam. I'm interested in what you come up with. Good luck and post some pics please when it's worked out.

smud 09-09-2013 10:57 AM

Did you ever come up with a solution for this? I'm getting a new 4 door rubicon in a few weeks and I plan on taking off the rubicon rock guard and put on a LOD slider. I don't like the look of the pinch seam. I thought about the ACE sliders and leaving the rubicon rails on, but I liked the LOD sliders better for their mount points and the steps on top. Plus, I can make up for the difference in cost with selling the rubicon rails.

Ideas to cover the pinch seam?

1Topp 09-09-2013 07:52 PM

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3686/9...389bbe2cac.jpg

JTE 09-09-2013 08:38 PM

Any trim you might put down there must let water fall to the ground or rust will form.

NFRs2000NYC 09-09-2013 08:48 PM

You can also order fat door trim molding and put it over the pinch seam. Im planning on taping off and plastidipping, then throwing on some poison spyder rocker armor.

2footin 09-09-2013 10:08 PM

just so I'm not spamming up the site
a search jeep jk pinch seam cover shows a few ready made solutions

Salty1 09-09-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3762194)
They're pretty expensive as well, even second hand. It's only for looks, not protection.

Rubi rails can be easily found for under $100, I got mine from craigslist for $50. Wanted then to cover the pinch seams when I installed my Ace sliders.

JKatfish 09-10-2013 07:55 PM

I put on a set of Ace rails and then got a roll of 3M tread safety tape to use as a step. I used the remaining roll of tape to cover the pinch seam. I used to notice it all the time, but with the black tape, don't even notice the seam anymore? Btw, the adhesive is very sticky and holds up well...

smud 09-10-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKatfish (Post 4457769)
I put on a set of Ace rails and then got a roll of 3M tread safety tape to use as a step. I used the remaining roll of tape to cover the pinch seam. I used to notice it all the time, but with the black tape, don't even notice the seam anymore? Btw, the adhesive is very sticky and holds up well...

Which width did you use? How many feet of it do you need for what you did?
Is this it? 3M 7635NA Safety-Walk Black Outdoor Tread 2-by-180-Inch Roll - Amazon.com

Looks like there is 1" and 2". This is the 2". Thinking two of these? Each is 15 ft of tape.

Or there is this one which is labeled as a "heavy duty" tape and is thicker. http://www.amazon.com/3M-7732NA-Safe...ef=pd_sim_hi_4

ave8er 09-10-2013 09:35 PM

I put 3/4" black tape on mine just as a test. It looked really good. I either need to paint it or maybe get some wide black pin stripping tape

Afmcronnie 09-10-2013 11:16 PM

I plastidipped the seam on my 2012 JK

supercazzola 09-26-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afmcronnie (Post 4463505)
I plastidipped the seam on my 2012 JK

mind taking a photo of how it looks and posting it?
I've got a dozer, and think it may look cool with that and the ACE rails I'm ready to buy

G54 09-26-2013 06:49 PM

I'll be installing the Ace rails in a few days. Just picked up a can of black undercoating to paint the pinch seam. Just gonna mask it off and shoot it. I'll post some pics when its done. Oh and mine is commando green so I figure the black will blend in with the black frame.

supercazzola 09-26-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus54 (Post 4885465)
I'll be installing the Ace rails in a few days. Just picked up a can of black undercoating to paint the pinch seam. Just gonna mask it off and shoot it. I'll post some pics when its done. Oh and mine is commando green so I figure the black will blend in with the black frame.

thank you

fireguy 09-26-2013 09:43 PM

I put on a set of Rubi rails and ended up cutting them down with a sawzall and cut off 1/2" of the body seam. I had to do this for tire clearance. Anyway I put Body seam putty over the cut seam and then bent it back 90 degrees or so toward the middle of the vehicle. The putty was silver grey but now it is black from the road dirt and you could not pull it off as it is stuck on real good. Painted the rock rails and put the caps back on and it all looks good.

supercazzola 09-26-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 4890185)
I put on a set of Rubi rails and ended up cutting them down with a sawzall and cut off 1/2" of the body seam. I had to do this for tire clearance. Anyway I put Body seam putty over the cut seam and then bent it back 90 degrees or so toward the middle of the vehicle. The putty was silver grey but now it is black from the road dirt and you could not pull it off as it is stuck on real good. Painted the rock rails and put the caps back on and it all looks good.

cut the rubi rails for bigger tires?

Barmanvarn 09-26-2013 10:58 PM

I love popping into a thread to find I responded many months ago. The odd timing is that I just found some rubi rails today for $100. Picking the up tomorrow.

Gotta trim them and the pinch seam as new shoes are coming soon.

MagicMtnDan 09-26-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smud (Post 4416817)
Did you ever come up with a solution for this? I'm getting a new 4 door rubicon in a few weeks and I plan on taking off the rubicon rock guard and put on a LOD slider. I don't like the look of the pinch seam. I thought about the ACE sliders and leaving the rubicon rails on, but I liked the LOD sliders better for their mount points and the steps on top. Plus, I can make up for the difference in cost with selling the rubicon rails.

Ideas to cover the pinch seam?



Did you ever put the LOD sliders on your 4 door Rubi?

I'm going to go with LOD sliders and I'm not concerned as their design does a good job of covering the pinch seam as best I can tell from these pics:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...p;d=1380122821

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...p;d=1380122821

Here's the build thread of Rubiwho's rig:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/ru...ld-310945.html

SES12R 09-27-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3761916)
I recently replaced my Sahara steps with Smittybilt SRC Side Armor which I really like, but the big downside is that now the pinch seam is really visible and frankly, it's ugly. I was thinking of ways to try and cover it and the best I can come up with is to see if I can get a strip of plastic or metal trim from Home Depot, but before I embark upon a DIY job has anyone else done this and got any ideas or suggestions?

Here's what I did. I put on a set of LOD rocksliders and had the same feelings about the seem along the bottom. I ended putting on a set of bushwhacker DOOR SILL PLATE & ROCKER PANEL COMBO. I think they look great plus they keep me from beating up the paint getting in and out with my hunting boots. Hope it helps.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/gecko12.jpeg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t139/ses1974/037.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/gecko13.jpeg

roxbury29 09-27-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SES12R (Post 4900289)
Here's what I did. I put on a set of LOD rocksliders and had the same feelings about the seem along the bottom. I ended putting on a set of bushwhacker DOOR SILL PLATE & ROCKER PANEL COMBO. I think they look great plus they keep me from beating up the paint getting in and out with my hunting boots. Hope it helps.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/gecko12.jpeg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t139/ses1974/037.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/gecko13.jpeg



LOOKS AWESOME! Love the flat flares too

fireguy 09-28-2013 12:19 AM

I picked up the Rubi rails for around $100. I had to shorten them and cut the body seam for tire clearance with the 315-70-17 GY Duratracs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.