Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   It's Hammer Time (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/its-hammer-time-243089.html)

Gunner 05-16-2013 04:09 PM

It's Hammer Time

Putting out a feeler for a early july trip to run a hammer trail. I've never been and an Am interested in trying out the jeep on one. Any interest? Thoughts? Am I over my head? :dance::rofl:

WOKNROX 05-16-2013 04:11 PM

Just let me know when you want to go...

Gunner 05-16-2013 04:17 PM

Lol I thought you would be right there, u think my jeep is up for a hammer trail?

Cons_Table 05-16-2013 04:18 PM

It's gonna be a warm one :firedevil:

WOKNROX 05-16-2013 04:20 PM

Yeah...July's not such a good month....but yeah...I'd start with Sunbonnet ...

WOKNROX 05-16-2013 04:24 PM

Or maybe get your feet wet with Matino wash and then up it a little with Marble Canyon ...?

Gunner 05-16-2013 04:24 PM

Top and doors off a/c full blast

RadarRob2012 05-16-2013 04:34 PM

I know your Jeep is capable enough. Especially with all the work Stan has put in on it. And if you can handle face of the sun hot, go for it. Keep us posted as to what Stan needs to fix when you get back.

Cons_Table 05-16-2013 04:38 PM

Just "break" it in on Backdoor :whistling:

DTM 05-16-2013 04:41 PM

My friend use to lead groups up the Hammers all summer long. Oh, they were NIGHT RUNS. :thumb:

WOKNROX 05-16-2013 04:52 PM

Like I said Bob...if you want to go...I'll be happy to go with you....I'm just an ol Dezert Rat...so any time of the year is fine with me....

Smokinjoe 05-16-2013 04:57 PM

This week ends weather will be mild in area this Saturday is your window :dance:

I pass threw last year in June on my way to big bear for Forrest Fest and was HOT in lucerne valley :eek:

sj

Gunner 05-16-2013 05:47 PM

Steve I'm looking at about July 6th or the following weekend. I would love to just jump in and try doing a Hammer Trail. I quit drag bikes to do jeeps so I like the challenge. And I pretty much have the rest of the month and June filled up with stuff.

Hi Robby..

rvrabe 05-16-2013 06:12 PM

Gunner my Jeep is not hammer ready but I have been out in the area and a few of the trails with other capable rigs and would love to join you if anyone going is gonna have room for a passenger. I also have no problem playing in the desert in triple digit temps. Oh if you decide to do a milder run in the area fissure mtn is a good one that has killer views of the area and I would take my Jeep thru that one.

Gunner 05-16-2013 06:20 PM

I dunno. Everyone says the Hammers are the Holy Grail trail. I just want to do one while I still can drive. I'm getting pretty old and broken up here in the old folks home.

Sorry Abe forgot to answer you. I will most likely already have my copilot seat filled.

rvrabe 05-16-2013 06:36 PM

There is definitely some good wheeling on any of the hammer trails and no worries if you or anyone else will have a empty seat. Not likely but I might have my rig hammer ready by then! Then I'll just tag along for sure.

Gunner 05-16-2013 07:55 PM

Sunbonnet Pass trail.
SUNBONNET 2012 (Johnson Valley California) - YouTube

WOKNROX 05-16-2013 08:55 PM

Sunbonnet is a right on trail.....
it'll definitely raise your heart rate and your wheelin bar..

87octane 05-16-2013 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=Gunner;3763457]Sunbonnet Pass trail.

Sweet video thanks for posting.

BillG.OTD 05-16-2013 09:24 PM

Sounds good Bob, but July??

suicideking 05-16-2013 10:50 PM

What's the most difficult trail you've done Bob? The hammer trails make Calico and John Bull seem easy.

Like some others have said, work your way up to the hammers. I haven't done any of them, but in no hurry. Did do Bullfrog, but that's technically Cougar Buttes, not hammers.

If you haven't done Bullfrog, Motino, Marble Cyn, start with those.

I wouldn't do it for the first time in the heat either. Wait until fall or early winter. It'd probably be ok if you make it all the way through. Just figure it's tough. How'd you like to have a break down and get stuck out there all day?

Gunner 05-17-2013 04:19 PM

Breaking down would be the pitts. But I am lifted, chromo'ed, locked, 4.88's, full skids, sliders,and on 35's..And I have a winch. I figure my jeep is as ready as a lot of guys who went there already. One thing I am learning fast is the line is everything. Trust your spotter and you don't have to do the most difficult line the first time thru. But wouldn't it be a blast to run a Hammer trail.

WOKNROX 05-17-2013 07:58 PM

O man...it was a beautiful day out at Means dry lake today...one of those days your glad to be alive .....I had a great time wheelin with some good buds...we ran Sledge Hammer & Jack Hammer...couldn't of asked better weather too...I'm already itching to go back...if any of you guys are really ready to go....lets do it...weekdays are better for me these days ...

minisaba 05-17-2013 08:18 PM

How hard is sledge hammer? 35s and front locker doable?
I got spare front shafts and know how to replace them in a timely manner if that helps me a5 all.

WOKNROX 05-17-2013 09:17 PM

Sledge is a good one..I've done it one 35s with minimal issues but I'm locked at both ends...now Jackhammer is a different sorry ...its now alot more difficult then Sledge ...in October of last year I felt it was about even or maybe the other way around...things change I guess ...lol
either way good driving and LOW gears is where its at with these rocks...

BillG.OTD 05-17-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 3767140)
Sledge is a good one..I've done it one 35s with minimal issues but I'm locked at both ends...now Jackhammer is a different sorry ...its now alot more difficult then Sledge ...in October of last year I felt it was about even or maybe the other way around...things change I guess ...lol
either way good driving and LOW gears is where its at with these rocks...

You dog Steve...out having a good time in JV... I guess you deserved a day off :)

Btw, dig your avatar...it's you!

WOKNROX 05-17-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 3767156)
You dog Steve...out having a good time in JV... I guess you deserved a day off :)

Btw, dig your avatar...it's you!

Yeah thanx....my wife drew it up for me...and had bunch of t-shirts made...lol

Felt good playing hookie from.work...but I guess I didn't have to...a water main broke this morning so they closed the base for the weekend ...nice!

Gunner 05-17-2013 09:33 PM

I'm going to Hawaii for a second honeymoon in june. After that I ought to be able to do a weekday run to sledge hammer. Right now the trip takes precedence over Jeeping.

suicideking 05-18-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 3767173)
Yeah thanx....my wife drew it up for me...and had bunch of t-shirts made...lol

Felt good playing hookie from.work...but I guess I didn't have to...a water main broke this morning so they closed the base for the weekend ...nice!

I heard they saw someone with a winch and square headlights taking out the water main... :whistling:

Gunner 05-18-2013 07:52 PM

LOL too funny rick.