Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rear Axel (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rear-axel-243090.html)

mickdundee 05-16-2013 04:22 PM

Rear Axel

Hey guys/gals, i have an awful noise coming from the rear passanger side wheel, it sounds like somthing grinding against the rotor, the brakes and rotors were just replaced last month and the diff fluid was just changed out as well, the noise has been there for about 3 months, and im still trying to figure it out, Any ideas??? its driving me nuts! i read on some forums it might be a bent axel shaft, but the thing is only 5 years old with 70k miles!!

WatchThis! 05-16-2013 05:24 PM

Bearings?

SilverSport 05-16-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3762999)
Bearings?

My thoughts 2.

WatchThis! 05-16-2013 05:54 PM

If you are not sure how to check them it is easy to do. Use a jack to pick the tire up off the ground, stick a pry bar or anything that you can get leverage with and pry up on the tire. There should be no up and down movement at all.

jkjeeper06 05-16-2013 05:56 PM

Did you replace the pads calipers or both? Even if you replaced the pads, a sticky caliper could cause the pad to stay pressed on the rotor

JerryJeepster 05-16-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickdundee (Post 3762786)
Hey guys/gals, i have an awful noise coming from the rear passanger side wheel, it sounds like somthing grinding against the rotor, the brakes and rotors were just replaced last month and the diff fluid was just changed out as well, the noise has been there for about 3 months, and im still trying to figure it out, Any ideas??? its driving me nuts! i read on some forums it might be a bent axel shaft, but the thing is only 5 years old with 70k miles!!

Mine is 6 months old with 7700 miles with a bent axle/hub. If the axle/hub is bent you will see the wheel moving in and out when rotating. Take off the tire and with the rear end is off the ground carefully put it in drive and watch it. If it's wobbling or moving in and out, it's bent.

Chipmunk 05-16-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryJeepster (Post 3763096)

If the axle/hub is bent you will see the wheel moving in and out when rotating. Take off the tire and with the rear end is off the ground carefully put it in drive and watch it. If it's wobbling or moving in and out, it's bent.

^^ yup, just went through this with my truck. .

JerryJeepster 05-16-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipmunk (Post 3763196)
^^ yup, just went through this with my truck. .

Sucks, huh!?!

mickdundee 05-16-2013 07:24 PM

thanks guys! i forgot to mention it only does this when i turn left.. and i just took it down a steep grade (grass hill) with most of the weight to the left (wasn't turning) and it made the noise again!! Any thoughts on that?

WatchThis! 05-16-2013 07:35 PM

I'm still going with bearings, could be something else since its impossible to be certain over the oll interweb. I advise you figure it out soon and don't just keep leting it go, a $100 fix can turn into a $500 fix if left alone.

Mcrock 05-16-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickdundee (Post 3763362)
thanks guys! i forgot to mention it only does this when i turn left.. and i just took it down a steep grade (grass hill) with most of the weight to the left (wasn't turning) and it made the noise again!! Any thoughts on that?

Then I would take it directly to your mechanic if you are unsure. Bearings are relatively cheap But whatever the problem is, it will only get worse with time. And more expensive.

SilverSport 05-16-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3763389)
I'm still going with bearings, could be something else since its impossible to be certain over the oll interweb. I advise you figure it out soon and don't just keep leting it go, a $100 fix can turn into a $500 fix if left alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcrock (Post 3763409)
Then I would take it directly to your mechanic if you are unsure. Bearings are relatively cheap But whatever the problem is, it will only get worse with time. And more expensive.

Good advice.

mickdundee 05-17-2013 10:13 AM

yea i'm trying to find a mechanic that works only on jeeps, i found one in pensscola gave him a call and got a pizza resturant number lol, im afraid to take it to the dealer...

WatchThis! 05-17-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickdundee (Post 3765323)
yea i'm trying to find a mechanic that works only on jeeps, i found one in pensscola gave him a call and got a pizza resturant number lol, im afraid to take it to the dealer...

You dont need someone who only works on jeeps for something like this. And you are wise not to take it to a dealer since odds are they will charge you 3 times what someone else would.

SuicideSaints 05-17-2013 11:09 AM

Try the things people suggested. I'm thinking wheel bearings as well. Don't go to the dealer if you can help it. Any ase certified mechanic will work. Get it figured out sooner rather than later. You will only make it worse and more expensive to fix.

mickdundee 05-18-2013 09:29 AM

yea its going in monday morning, thanks guys!

mickdundee 06-28-2013 10:35 PM

hey guys forgot to post back, i took it in and the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with it, the passenger side rear wheel caliper froze up and my brakes started smoking, so i had that replaced, any other ideas?

Getnoff 06-29-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickdundee (Post 3910067)
hey guys forgot to post back, i took it in and the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with it, the passenger side rear wheel caliper froze up and my brakes started smoking, so i had that replaced, any other ideas?

Um. Sounds like u found it!
I was just going to add I had a similar issue. Mine was a rock got jammed behind the brake dust cover. It was a horrible intermittent noise. Pull wheel and give a check if it acts up again.
Troy