I'm new to the forum and have many questions since I just got my project jeep. I got it off my cousin and he blew the transfer case up and the front sheared drive shaft cut the main wiring harness, I got a new one put on and it runs great but the dash gauges and radio don't work any suggestions?
05-16-2013 09:09 PM
Fuses all good??
05-16-2013 09:25 PM
Yes I'm 99% sure they are all good, is the gauges and radio on the same circuit?
05-17-2013 05:25 AM
I am no electrician but have dealt with my own fair share of electrical issues, which are probably the most common and notorious problems for TJ owners. I would check and make sure all your grounds are good back in the dash. From there I would check to see what's getting power and what's not. Probably start at the radio.
05-17-2013 05:31 AM
Check the accessory fuse in the main fusebox. I found that one blown one time when my radio wasn't working.
Don't think it would make a difference in the dash guages though.
that's the only idea i have at the moment.
05-17-2013 06:18 AM
Okay I will when I go home! I'm thinking that the dash might be blown from the harness being cut, but I would think that a fuse would have popped before the dash.
05-17-2013 06:23 AM
Most likely. I once blew out my radio from water damage, wired up a new one and fixed 3 other issues - dash illumination, radio issue, and a light issue I had. I think they let a toddler do the wiring in these things at times. The fan motor wiring is also bad, once the motor wears out the drawn gets too high and burns out switches, wires and the blower motor resistor. I still have to do the relay that is supposed to prevent this, I've already been through 1 resistor and a fan switch now I believe.
Basically the wiring sucks :thumb:
05-17-2013 06:27 AM
Wow ill have to look into that! I'll get the dash out and ohm it out and see if it has power, thanks for the advice
05-17-2013 07:04 AM
No prob. There are a few wiring gurus on the forum, hopefully they will drop by eventually with some insight.
05-17-2013 07:50 AM
There is a large connector behind the dash that is notorious for having issues. Remove, clean thoroughly and coat with dielectric grease. I would try it especially if the Jeep sat for any length of time.
05-17-2013 08:18 AM
That could be it then! It sat for over a year between him blowing the transfer case and me towing it home. I'll check that first
05-17-2013 08:53 AM
Yeah, clean the connectors behind the dash for sure. :doh:
05-17-2013 01:06 PM
I'm going home next weekend to work on it, if I can get the dash fixed and change the heater core it will be street legal other then having the windshield replaced