Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Spod installed, what do you guys suggest for first aux lights? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/spod-installed-what-do-you-guys-suggest-for-first-aux-lights-243140.html)

TrueBlueJK 05-16-2013 09:18 PM

Spod installed, what do you guys suggest for first aux lights?
 
Took me about an hour and a half after work today. The install was pretty straight forward and definitely easy. What do you guys recommend for a first LED mod?

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps04ab1449.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps946d4e89.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps8242bed8.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps542835b7.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps1b7247a3.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps3ebf0515.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps4fe9d02e.jpg

Spyder1049 05-16-2013 11:43 PM

I would go with the dually d2 floods on the windshield, then a 20 inch spot or flood combo on the bumper or hood
Good luck with your choice

Lucy Brown 05-17-2013 07:58 AM

How do you hook up that gauge? Looks cool.

Wranglin4Life 05-17-2013 08:00 AM

Fantastic looking install :thumb:

I would say add some windshield mounted lights! They look good there.

erazer72 05-17-2013 08:19 AM

My first hook up was Rigid 4 LED windshield lights...second was rear LED single VisionXusa and third was bumper mounted Rigid 6 LED's...SPOD rocks. makes adding on 12v items a snap!

TrueBlueJK 05-17-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Brown (Post 3764750)
How do you hook up that gauge? Looks cool.

It plugs right nto the the OBD2 port, I'm just waiting on an extention cable as it's about a foot short.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life (Post 3764752)
Fantastic looking install :thumb:

I would say add some windshield mounted lights! They look good there.

Thanks! I was thinking of installing a full LED bar on top of the windshield later on, any recommendations on a bracket that will hold both windshield mounted and LED bar lights?

kramer2k 05-17-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3764065)
I would go with the dually d2 floods on the windshield, then a 20 inch spot or flood combo on the bumper or hood
Good luck with your choice

That's my thinking too. I have just installed an sPod myself. My first switch will go to my rear mounted LEDs in my new GenRight bumper.

Wouldn't windshield floods create a lot of glare? Would D2 in driving beam be a better choice? I'm on the fence on which to go with.

I'm thinking a 20" LED bar on my bumper in combo beam would be a good match.

Kssting 05-17-2013 09:52 AM

I am still trying to decide on lights and my spod has been installed for a few months now. Post up pictures once you decide on which ones you are going with.

The aeroforce gauge has a lot of great programming options like the procal. I am surprised that they supplied a cable that was to short since the cable that came with has an extra foot of slack.

Vin 05-17-2013 10:38 AM

I actually did 2 sets, bumper lights and windshield lights. The bumper lights were definitely the most useful/used, especially with the poor lighting of the OE headlights and fogs. I used them on days of very bad weather when everyone else had the sense to stay off the roads.

If I were just doing one, bumper lights would get my first vote.

epemdoc 05-17-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3764808)
It plugs right nto the the OBD2 port, I'm just waiting on an extention cable as it's about a foot short.



Thanks! I was thinking of installing a full LED bar on top of the windshield later on, any recommendations on a bracket that will hold both windshield mounted and LED bar lights?

That's a very clean install TrueBlue. Love the look of the switchboard. I have not installed mine yet. I noticed that the cable for my gauge also seemed a bit short. Do you have a part number or link for your cable extension? Where did you order it from? Thanks.

TrueBlueJK 05-17-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epemdoc (Post 3765292)
That's a very clean install TrueBlue. Love the look of the switchboard. I have not installed mine yet. I noticed that the cable for my gauge also seemed a bit short. Do you have a part number or link for your cable extension? Where did you order it from? Thanks.

Thanks! I just did a basic Ebay search, extensions are pretty cheap. obd2 extension cable | eBay

TrueBlueJK 05-17-2013 11:23 AM

I ultimately want this kind of look. The 50" LED bar is pricey but looks amazing!

http://www.rigidindustries.com/v/vsp...at-offroad.jpg

epemdoc 05-17-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3765352)
Thanks! I just did a basic Ebay search, extensions are pretty cheap. obd2 extension cable | eBay

Thanks:thumb:

Spyder1049 05-17-2013 01:20 PM

Pretty much any of the dually lights you can't drive and use on the road, they will blind people, can't see them being legal, I use them like my high beams soon as I see someone I turn them off

Spyder1049 05-17-2013 01:25 PM

I'd skip on the 50 inch, invest in jw speaker headlights, d2s on the wind shield, 20 inch on the bumper, and d2s in the rear bumper, never going to need more light then that in most cases, up to you

TrueBlueJK 05-17-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3765755)
I'd skip on the 50 inch, invest in jw speaker headlights, d2s on the wind shield, 20 inch on the bumper, and d2s in the rear bumper, never going to need more light then that in most cases, up to you

Just installed truck lites last week, I'm going more for looks than function. I'll probably just start out with the windshield d2's and take it from these.

spesrf25 05-17-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3766044)
Just installed truck lites last week, I'm going more for looks than function. I'll probably just start out with the windshield d2's and take it from these.

I have some D2s for sale that are brand new in the box with everything included (harness, light mounts, hardware), but no windshield mounts which you would have to buy separately, regardless. If you're interested, PM me. I decided to go with the ARB Intensity lights, so I no longer need them.

http://www.jk-forum.com/attachment.p...9&d=1368805906

Great install on the SPOD, by the way!

Knuckles65 05-17-2013 05:07 PM

Nice install. I've been planning this for a while and am going to pull the trigger and order the sPod and AF gauge this week.

I'm in the same boat as the OP - which lights and where?

Magichelmt 05-17-2013 05:55 PM

I have the SPOD & Rigid Dually floods on the bumper. They do a great job on low speed off road stuff and are good at speed out in the country where I am not going to blind someone. I want to get some D2's for the windshield in spot form next.

NFRs2000NYC 05-17-2013 06:00 PM

My combo creates a perfect and even amount of light....

1) D2 driving on the windshield pillars (you do NOT want floods there)
2) 10" combo on the bumper
3) 50" spot on the roof.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/8...2b6af77e_c.jpg

Remember this basic rule of thumb....floods go low, spots go high....combos in the middle. You want the area directly in front of your rig lit, so you want a bright, wide beam, thus, go flood on the bumper area. Rooftop lighting is meant for distance, so you want a spot up there. The middle you want a combo.

TrueBlueJK 05-17-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3766537)
My combo creates a perfect and even amount of light....

1) D2 driving on the windshield pillars (you do NOT want floods there)
2) 10" combo on the bumper
3) 50" spot on the roof.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/8...2b6af77e_c.jpg

Remember this basic rule of thumb....floods go low, spots go high....combos in the middle. You want the area directly in front of your rig lit, so you want a bright, wide beam, thus, go flood on the bumper area. Rooftop lighting is meant for distance, so you want a spot up there. The middle you want a combo.

I love your setup man!!! I personally think that 50" bar looks boss.

Pennsyman 05-17-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3766537)
My combo creates a perfect and even amount of light....

1) D2 driving on the windshield pillars (you do NOT want floods there)
2) 10" combo on the bumper
3) 50" spot on the roof.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/8...2b6af77e_c.jpg

Remember this basic rule of thumb....floods go low, spots go high....combos in the middle. You want the area directly in front of your rig lit, so you want a bright, wide beam, thus, go flood on the bumper area. Rooftop lighting is meant for distance, so you want a spot up there. The middle you want a combo.

Nice rig...great color, and that bumper is very nice...what make is it?

TrueBlueJK 05-17-2013 09:18 PM

NFR, are those rigid light bars?

NFRs2000NYC 05-17-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennsyman (Post 3766938)
Nice rig...great color, and that bumper is very nice...what make is it?

It's a rampage recovery bumper. It's a tank.

NFRs2000NYC 05-17-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3766991)
NFR, are those rigid light bars?

No sir. They are aurora.

TrueBlueJK 05-17-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3767279)
No sir. The are aurora.

Nice! I will be shopping around for a 50" bar soon.

Knuckles65 05-18-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magichelmt (Post 3766525)
I have the SPOD & Rigid Dually floods on the bumper. They do a great job on low speed off road stuff and are good at speed out in the country where I am not going to blind someone. I want to get some D2's for the windshield in spot form next.

Sounds like that might be a plan for me as well for on-road. The roads around here are incredibly dark at night.

I see two different kinds of "flood". I see these and these. Which did you choose and why?

Magichelmt 05-18-2013 09:36 AM

I bought thesesRigid Industries Dually LED Light - Flood the only thing I see is the mount. I love mine for back roads driving, but they are floods and if you want distance you gotta go spot. Pictures from my iPhone don't do it justice. I'll try with the gopro later.

Knuckles65 05-18-2013 10:15 AM

Thanks. I think I'll do spots near the windshield when I get to that point. For now, I need some additional "back roads" lighting. I'd love to upgrade the headlights, but that's some serious coin.

Knuckles65 05-18-2013 10:21 AM

Just happen to stumble upon these. Hmmm...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.