Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Jeep wave originated? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/jeep-wave-originated-243190.html)

AllMudd 05-16-2013 10:52 PM

Jeep wave originated?
 
Here is an interesting few takes on the Jeep wave.

New Jeep owners soon discover a tradition that has been around perhaps as long as Jeeps, the Jeep wave. Some may think its strange or even silly, but before you judge perhaps take a moment and consider this.

During WWII the Jeep was always on the move, often running back and forth from the front lines delivering vital supplies or urgent messages, or carry wounded soldiers, attempt rescues or bring reinforcements. Some say this is where the Jeep wave began as a way to know friend from foe or acknowledge an officer without a salute that might alert enemies of a high ranking official. Or perhaps it was just a simple gesture from soldier in one Jeep to another Jeep as they passed. A sign of camaraderie and respect between courageous souls in dark and dangerous times.

Others say the Jeep wave began after the war when the soldiers returned home. During the war the Jeep had earned a place in the hearts of many soldiers and as a result, many of those who made it home, wanted to own their own Jeep. Often the drivers of Jeeps passing on roadways would wave at each other, as they knew most likely each other had served.

Finally some claim the wave began only when civilians started buying Jeeps and taking them off road. They shared fun and excitement of tackling seemingly impossible trails and obstacles in the nimble Jeep, naturally builds a kinship with other Jeepers. The wave acknowledges that shared understanding and appreciation of the Jeeps amazing capabilities and the enjoyment ownership can bring. So next time you see a Jeep, give a wave and if you don't get one in return, don't be offended. Just consider it a wave for the 'One and Only Jeep' and what it represents, our freedom and he brave souls who fought for it!

Being a Military Service Member myself, I think the wave started in WWII where many brave souls gave us our freedom we cherish to this day. For without what so many did for this country, we as fellow Jeepers would not be able to enjoy the freedoms of off road parks, trails, and just the simple freedom of driving down the road in the summer, top down and cruising.

(O|||||O) <-----The original Jeep but I still love my YJ!

Nubby55 05-17-2013 08:59 PM

Well I think it's a type of Brotherhood, I'm Southern and We wave if we know Ya, I'm a Nam Vet and those who know Me wave, Ive Rode Bikes since 1967 and H.D.s since 1977 and those who know wave, and I Drive a Jeep and those who know Wave, If I see You and We have some type of Brotherhood, I'll WAVE!

c5wagner 05-17-2013 09:04 PM

When I drive my cherokee no other jeepers wave, but when I drive my raised YJ, other people in raised jeeps wave back. I have also found that many women who drive jeeps don't wave either. If there is a guy driving a raised jeep and if I wave, I can always count on the wave back.

Willybusmc 05-17-2013 09:08 PM

In Stockbridge ga, I see a few jeeps a day and gettin a wave back is rare. Stock jeeps of any year almost never wave. But today, my jeeps in the shop and I got stuck driving mini van, and I passed like 10 jeeps. My luck

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 09:08 PM

I've waved at several Cherokees. No wave back. So I gave up on them. Same thing with four doors, wave and no way back. Now I only way at 4 doors if I get a wave first

AllMudd 05-17-2013 09:45 PM

I fin just about the same from newer Jeeps, no waves. From probably '00 and newer they most are clueless of the Jeep wave male or female. And I might be a little partial but, CJ, YJ, TJs to me are Jeeps. Cherokees, GCherokees, JK or JKUs are not real Jeeps they just wear the name of the brand. To me they could all be Chrysler Cherokees and so on.

1st87yj 05-17-2013 09:48 PM

Ill get a wave 9 out of 10 times. As said before, women and JK's no waves. I will not wave at a 4 door JK. I guess im one of the few that want to puke just looking at them. Anyways, any jeep with modifications will wave 100%.

viperx6x9x 05-17-2013 09:58 PM

Yeah I only bother waving at CJ or wranglers. Would include willys but I haven't seen one to wave at since I got my jeep.

Sometimes they don't wave back, but it seems like it's mostly JK drivers when that happens. kinda odd.

So what other unspoken jeep traditions are there?

I've also noticed if you see another jeep in the parking lot you park next to it regardless of proximity to your destination. At least at my work there are a lot of jeep drivers, and we always park in packs. I guess jeeps, much like Harley's, are pack animals by nature.

And, if there's something you can get a tire on top of, you never leave all 4 tires on the pavement. Kind of made this one up, but you know you've done this at least once.

Z-TJ 05-17-2013 10:07 PM

I drive a 4door and wave at everything! The other day I waved at 6 jeeps and nothing back. The lat one I didn't see intime to wave and they waved back.

Willybusmc 05-17-2013 10:18 PM

I've passed a lifted tj with aftermarket bumpers and a winch, I waved and he looked me in the eye, with this look like I was an idiot an kept going. Some folks just don't know I guess

1st87yj 05-17-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-TJ (Post 3767270)
I drive a 4door and wave at everything! The other day I waved at 6 jeeps and nothing back. The lat one I didn't see intime to wave and they waved back.

Try gettin a 2 door...see what happens. U could still keep the JK for grocerys and such. The good thing is you love your jeep ( or u wouldent be on this forum ) and thats what counts.

1st87yj 05-17-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willybusmc (Post 3767298)
I've passed a lifted tj with aftermarket bumpers and a winch, I waved and he looked me in the eye, with this look like I was an idiot an kept going. Some folks just don't know I guess

He probly just stole it...

viperx6x9x 05-17-2013 10:46 PM

I figure some people really don't know. I got my first jeep a few months ago and didn't know why people were waving at me. So I just chalked it up to another jeep thing and started waving. :)

Willybusmc 05-17-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st87yj (Post 3767311)

He probly just stole it...

Haha very possible

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 10:55 PM

I think they should include jeep wrangler forum web address with every new jeep sold so people can really learn about them jeeps

This forum has been great to me and taught me a lot.
Especially about the jeep wave
Hell, I've been on this forum before I had a jeep.
Being only 17, I think I've made a pretty good jeeper!

Orange Krusher 05-17-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllMudd (Post 3764098)
Here is an interesting few takes on the Jeep wave.

New Jeep owners soon discover a tradition that has been around perhaps as long as Jeeps, the Jeep wave. Some may think its strange or even silly, but before you judge perhaps take a moment and consider this.

During WWII the Jeep was always on the move, often running back and forth from the front lines delivering vital supplies or urgent messages, or carry wounded soldiers, attempt rescues or bring reinforcements. Some say this is where the Jeep wave began as a way to know friend from foe or acknowledge an officer without a salute that might alert enemies of a high ranking official. Or perhaps it was just a simple gesture from soldier in one Jeep to another Jeep as they passed. A sign of camaraderie and respect between courageous souls in dark and dangerous times.

Others say the Jeep wave began after the war when the soldiers returned home. During the war the Jeep had earned a place in the hearts of many soldiers and as a result, many of those who made it home, wanted to own their own Jeep. Often the drivers of Jeeps passing on roadways would wave at each other, as they knew most likely each other had served.

Finally some claim the wave began only when civilians started buying Jeeps and taking them off road. They shared fun and excitement of tackling seemingly impossible trails and obstacles in the nimble Jeep, naturally builds a kinship with other Jeepers. The wave acknowledges that shared understanding and appreciation of the Jeeps amazing capabilities and the enjoyment ownership can bring. So next time you see a Jeep, give a wave and if you don't get one in return, don't be offended. Just consider it a wave for the 'One and Only Jeep' and what it represents, our freedom and he brave souls who fought for it!

Being a Military Service Member myself, I think the wave started in WWII where many brave souls gave us our freedom we cherish to this day. For without what so many did for this country, we as fellow Jeepers would not be able to enjoy the freedoms of off road parks, trails, and just the simple freedom of driving down the road in the summer, top down and cruising.

(O|||||O) <-----The original Jeep but I still love my YJ!

I love this story! Thanks for posting!!!

Orange Krusher 05-17-2013 11:42 PM

Don't judge a book by its cover and don't be a hater!!! I am female and drive a 2D JK. I wave at every wrangler (2D, 4D, male, female, lifted, stock, CJ, YJ, TJ, JK). I initiate the wave 99% of the time. I usually get waves back but if I don't.......maybe they didn't see me or they are lost in thought.....the wave is about camaraderie not hating!!!

viperx6x9x 05-18-2013 12:01 AM

We weren't hating. Females just seem to be a little more reserved about waving at a random guy passing them on the road is all. Can't blame em really.

I don't get mad. I miss a wave back sometimes too, sometimes I get busy watching the other cars around me in heavy traffic. Or maybe i'm busy talking to my wife about something while we are driving around. It happens. I wave when i notice other jeeps though so it all evens out. :)

WGHyrum 05-18-2013 12:03 AM

I live in Colorado. There are tons of jeeps here. I always wave. Most of the time I am top-down and wave outside of the vehicle. There is no way people don't see it.
I get some waves from 4 door JKs, fewer from stock JKs. Uncustomized hard top wranglers almost never wave.
Getting a wave back just makes me happy.
Sometimes I get snooty looks from expensively customized JKs. Two weeks ago, a guy in a 4 door on huge tires actually spit on my hood as he drove past. Where's the jeeplove? Don't hate me because I'm square.

viperx6x9x 05-18-2013 12:08 AM

Don't waste much thought on that guy. probably just a thinks he's better than you cuz he's got money type person. I bet he didn't turn a single wrench on any of those customizations. Daddy's money probably paid for em too.

WGHyrum 05-18-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperx6x9x (Post 3767607)
Don't waste much thought on that guy. probably just a thinks he's better than you cuz he's got money type person. I bet he didn't turn a single wrench on any of those customizations. Daddy's money probably paid for em too.

I know. It just surprised me.

Built > Bought

viperx6x9x 05-18-2013 12:18 AM

Yeah, i usually don't let much get to me. But that was pretty damn rude. Somebody spitting on my vehicle would definitely piss me off.

I used to chew and i spit out the window when I slowed down enough. But I never spit when there was a car next to me, just out of respect for everyone else. Didn't want to get it on their cars.

Orange Krusher 05-18-2013 12:25 AM

I had a guy cut me off and than spit on my car. I followed him to the next intersection cuz I was pissed. He got out of his car and walked to mine and spit in the window. It landed on my neck. He was muttering something about stupid women and stupid Americans. I followed him some more until the cop took over He wasn't in a jeep but a BMW!!

viperx6x9x 05-18-2013 12:33 AM

Problem with those "priveliged" types is your not going to change them. Not saying all wealthy people are like that, but you know one when you meet one. Just keep on jeepin on, and remember your convertible could drive right over his convertible if you so choose. And that will bring a smug smile back to your face. :)

Orange Krusher 05-18-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperx6x9x (Post 3767656)
problem with those "priveliged" types is your not going to change them. Not saying all wealthy people are like that, but you know one when you meet one. Just keep on jeepin on, and remember your convertible could drive right over his convertible if you so choose. And that will bring a smug smile back to your face. :)

:) :)

viperx6x9x 05-18-2013 12:43 AM

Man that's partly why I don't lift mine. I just know some jerk on the road is gonna piss me off one day, and i'm gonna do just that and get myself in trouble. lol.

Oh don't mind me, just flexin on this mercedes, no big deal. hahahaha.

but yeah, i just enjoy the ride. Cruisin slow with the top down, wavin at every jeep that passes. Don't really care if they wave back, it's just me being friendly cuz i'm usually in a good mood when my top's down.

Orange Krusher 05-18-2013 12:46 AM

My top was off and raining but still in good mood because I am in my Jeep. People must think I am on something......waving in the rain and bopping about.

viperx6x9x 05-18-2013 12:53 AM

Do what makes you happy. Everybody else's opinion of it is their problem.

people give me funny looks all the time. Top down, radio cranked, playing completely random stuff like Journey (don't stop beleiving), or Bohemian Rhapsody. Singing right along. I don't care, I am happy.

Orange Krusher 05-18-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperx6x9x (Post 3767689)
Do what makes you happy. Everybody else's opinion of it is their problem.

people give me funny looks all the time. Top down, radio cranked, playing completely random stuff like Journey (don't stop beleiving), or Bohemian Rhapsody. Singing right along. I don't care, I am happy.

You sound a lot like me!!

2004 lj 05-18-2013 01:02 AM

I drive a lifted jkr on 35's . And I will wave at pretty much anyone even an xj..:rofl:..some wave back some don't..there loss.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.