Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Flying the red white & blue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/flying-the-red-white-and-blue-243225.html)

KevinNJ 05-17-2013 08:59 AM

Flying the red white & blue

I like showing my USA pride and flying the flag all the time. I decided to get one for the jeep. I found a 12 inch x 18 inch marine flag, figured would hold up well with weather and wind. With the top down it's pretty easy to mount to a roll bar with zip ties. I was thinking of using my 2 foot firestick to mount it for when the top is on, but have concerns with wind forces on the antennae. Is this a good or bad idea?

Big Sarge 05-17-2013 10:13 AM

Yeah probably would not be a good idea to fly it from the antenna. Also keep in mind the protocols of flying a flag... I'm in the military and sometimes I see people meaning well by flying a flag, but do so in a manner that just drives me up a wall.

Jerry Bransford 05-17-2013 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinNJ (Post 3764858)
I like showing my USA pride and flying the flag all the time. I decided to get one for the jeep. I found a 12 inch x 18 inch marine flag, figured would hold up well with weather and wind. With the top down it's pretty easy to mount to a roll bar with zip ties. I was thinking of using my 2 foot firestick to mount it for when the top is on, but have concerns with wind forces on the antennae. Is this a good or bad idea?

I have been flying that size flag on a 2' Firestick antenna for probably 15 years. The flags seem to last 2-3 years before they start getting tattered & need replacement. The below is my previous TJ but I do the same thing with my present TJ. No problems with the Firestick antenna at all, it's more than strong enough for this.

By the way, that guy in the red jacket waiting to spot me up the rocks in Johnson Valley is Blaine Johnson, aka Black Magic Brakes. It does get cold out in our deserts during the winter! :)

SuicideSaints 05-17-2013 12:11 PM

As a veteran I appreciate you guys flying our nations flag. God bless you both.

Big Sarge 05-17-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3765475)
I have been flying that size flag on a 2' Firestick antenna for probably 15 years. The flags seem to last 2-3 years before they start getting tattered & need replacement. The below is my previous TJ but I do the same thing with my present TJ. No problems with the Firestick antenna at all, it's more than strong enough for this.

By the way, that guy in the red jacket waiting to spot me up the rocks in Johnson Valley is Blaine Johnson, aka Black Magic Brakes. It does get cold out in our deserts during the winter! :)

That is one good looking Jeep Jerry! I expected nothing less from you though.:thumb: I didn't realize the measurements that the OP had posted. Keep 'em flying boys!

geiman 05-17-2013 12:43 PM

I've flow small flags from the CB antenna as well without issue. Occasionally, for parades and such, I'll fly a larger flag from a flag pole I made from some galvanized pipe I painted black. I used a floor plate bolted to the spare tire carrier, so the pole screws on and off easily. Eventually I'm going to fab up something nicer, but for the time being it's a cheap and quick way to fly a flag nicely.

KevinNJ 05-17-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3765475)

Thanks for the reply.
Do you just use zip ties? I was thinking of zip ties and small hose clamps to add some redundancy.

Jerry Bransford 05-17-2013 01:15 PM

Just a pair of zip ties wrapped double works great.

TheBestCoast 05-17-2013 03:22 PM

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps1cf2ec77.jpg

'Merica

*dont mind the pizza cutters :(