Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Jeeps running hot (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/jeeps-running-hot-243236.html)

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 08:33 AM

Jeeps running hot

Alright guys my old 90 yj is running a little bit hot, just before the red line. I have plenty of fluid and water, the hoses are warm. I've checked for alot of the simple things but obviously I'm missing something.
It also seems to cool down when I drive a little faster? Weird I know.

What all do you guys think it is? I just ordered a new thermostat to see if that helps

banks316 05-17-2013 08:38 AM

What temp is it running...normal operating temp for the 2.5L and 4.0L is 210

frayedknot 05-17-2013 08:40 AM

When you increase in speed it increases the air flow through the radiator, usually an engine running hot at slow or stop speeds indicates a bad fan clutch. Turn it by hand there should be moderate tension from the clutch. Are you losing water? With the radiator cap off at idle and warmed up you should see the moving water through the radiator. Remove the cap before it gets hot!!! That will tell you if the water pump or flow of water is obstructed or impaired.

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 10:25 AM

Yesterday it was running almost on the red line! I added water to it and today it's running at the notch that's right after 210 which I guess is 250?

It's a i6 4.2 258

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Noah (Post 3765362)
Yesterday it was running almost on the red line! I added water to it and today it's running at the notch that's right after 210 which I guess is 250?

It's a i6 4.2 258

Not sure if the water is moving because of the pump or vibrations from the engine. But it seems like it's moving.

Clutch fan didnt seem to have much tension, if any at all

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 12:09 PM

Could it be my radiator cap? No matter how hot it is I can take it off, it seems like there's no pressure in it at all! I found out the water is moving, it started to bubble after I let it warm up.

I payed more attention to the gauge and it is sitting at about 240 give or take how I drive it

It's not losing fluid or water from what I can tell

The pump doesn't appear to be leaking.

Thoughts?

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 01:18 PM

Got a new cap today at the auto parts store, nothing changed

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 03:27 PM

Seems to run hotter when the heat is on. The heat works, real good.

Need advice quickly this is my daily driver! Lol

roadyrob 05-17-2013 05:27 PM

check your fan clutch. drive it till its hot, shut it off and try to turn the fan. should be very hard to turn if the clutch is working. also, I assume you have a shroud, running without one will cause it to overheat.

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadyrob (Post 3766593)
check your fan clutch. drive it till its hot, shut it off and try to turn the fan. should be very hard to turn if the clutch is working. also, I assume you have a shroud, running without one will cause it to overheat.

Alright will do

How hard would it be to replace the fan clutch?

I've seen them for about 50$ on morris 4x4

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 06:01 PM

There is resistance! But not much at all, just enough to where If i push it hard, it wont spin by iitself.

Garyk 05-17-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Noah (Post 3765714)
Could it be my radiator cap? No matter how hot it is I can take it off, it seems like there's no pressure in it at all! I found out the water is moving, it started to bubble after I let it warm up.

I payed more attention to the gauge and it is sitting at about 240 give or take how I drive it

Thoughts?

What kind of bubbles..if its air bubbles, your head gasket could be gone...

173ABN VN 05-17-2013 06:56 PM

check your oil,if it's milkey white could be your hg.also your rad might be clogged.check the fins for dirt or chaff....russ

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Milky?

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 07:38 PM

Bought a new fan clutch, it's the only kind they had in stock at advance, it's a reverse fan clutch, they would have had to order a standard? Is this the right one?

Cole Noah 05-17-2013 08:20 PM

Installed the new fan clutch. Still seems to be over heating

Cole Noah 05-18-2013 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So I got in it this morning to drive around a bit, and as soon as I turn the key over for the radio and electronics to get power the temp gauge says this
Now that is a completely cold engine, which sat in the garage all night with the good up, an it's registering at like 108

So, I went for a drive and after it finally settle this is where the gauge was staying,

But it would also go back down to 210 sometimes, although that was rare.

Any thoughts?

banks316 05-18-2013 10:31 AM

Temp sending unit? Its located on the back of the head driver side

Cole Noah 05-18-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316 (Post 3768380)
Temp sending unit? Its located on the back of the head driver side

I've cleaned that off and reattached it and its still showing the same temp

banks316 05-18-2013 01:59 PM

Does it act like its over heating? Steam pouring out ect? YJ guages havnt been known for there accuracy. I replaced my temp unit after i broke my old one trying to remove the intake. Before I did i was running 210 on the nose. Now my gauge reads the same as your second pic. But shows no indication of overheating.

Garyk 05-18-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Noah (Post 3768644)
I've cleaned that off and reattached it and its still showing the same temp

Change it, its only a few bucks..

Cole Noah 05-18-2013 02:28 PM

As far as I know I'm not over heating, not showing many signs.

I've bought a new radiator, radiator cap, and a thermostat. Now I guess I'm going to buy temp sending unit.

Jeep.
J-just
E-empty
E-every
P-pocket

theYeti 05-18-2013 05:09 PM

Alright buddy. Make sure you know for sure f you need the reverse fan clutch. If its supposed to be regular then it will run even hotter, make sure you get the right one. On my 90 is was a regular not reverse

roadyrob 05-18-2013 07:14 PM

v belt is standard rotation, reverse is serpentine.

2xs 05-18-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

If you start your Jeep, warm it up fully, and can remove the radiator cap without losing any fluid, you have a leak somewhere.
When your engine warms up, the coolant/water mix expands and forms pressure in the cooling system, if three is no pressure, the excess coolant mix is going somewhere, it doesn't just magically not happen.

Try pressure testing your cooling system and look for any leaks, no matter how small.

Cole Noah 05-18-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadyrob (Post 3769427)
v belt is standard rotation, reverse is serpentine.

How can I tell the difference between v belt and serpentine?

banks316 05-18-2013 11:42 PM

V belt is a thin belt. the pullies have a deep V groove in them. A Serpentine belt is a wide flat belt. The pullies are wide and have a few groves cut into them.

V Belt style pully
http://www.four-h.purdue.edu/tractor/pictures/028.jpg

Serpentine style pully
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...kJF1M56wz1NQOf

Dan-D 05-19-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

I found out the water is moving, it started to bubble after I let it warm up.

I would be nervous about air bubbles, last year my 4 banger S10 had the same issues. The bubbles get trapped & cause hot spots in the engine. The bubbles could be coming from a head gasket leaking compression into the water jacket, the gasket might be fine on the oil side of things but leaking compression form the engine cylinder into the water jacket of the head.

I'm not 100% on your engine but that is what my 4 cylinder S10 was doing.

Dan

Nubby55 05-19-2013 05:38 PM

My 90 YJ did just the opposite it was blowing pressure in the Crankcase and blowing oil out, and had very low compression for a long time so I started building a Stroker a little at a time, then it blew the head gasket to to coolant side and ran HOT, so I changed the Head gasket and all was well except very low Oil Pressure, so I keep buying parts and having work on ported heads and regrind Crankshaft, all's left is the Block work, then changed the Carb. wow it run great! and then the oil sending unit starts leaking, Changed it, LOL oil pressure is great! Oh well! I guess my engine is good after all, now that I'm all most done with the new engine.
Some times we seam to change all the wrong parts trying to get to what's really wrong.

Have Your Coolant cheeked for gas in it!

Cole Noah 05-19-2013 11:34 PM

Bought a new radiator, it's on the way. Thermostat should be here soon.
Next I'm going to buy the temp sending unit

I'm ready to find this problem and fix it!