Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Temp flares for trip to Rausch Creek (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/temp-flares-for-trip-to-rausch-creek-243242.html)

Csahara 05-17-2013 09:01 AM

Temp flares for trip to Rausch Creek
 
Ok, im not new to rausch and since moving from Philly to NY where there are no flare laws I did tube fenders in front and no flares in the rear until i get tubes back there. Im heading to philly to meet my bro and then the next morning head off to Rausch for the weekend. I dont know if it matters but the jeep is registered in FL so i have a FL tag. Anyway, Im worried im gonna get pulled over in PA for tires sticking out. I never had a problem before with my 35s sticking out about 3" for years but now its more. Is there some way to make quick removable flares to get me leagal? Even just for the rear. Im thinking lawn edging or somthing flexy and flat like that. Thanks guys:)

Mr3 05-17-2013 11:43 AM

I have about 6" of tires hanging out in the rear and 0 tire coverage up front. I have yet to be stopped here in south east PA for tire coverage. I even had a state trooper give me a push off the turn pike when I broke down and he didn't say a word about it. None of my jeep buddies have tire coverage and we are all ticket free of that.

Csahara 05-17-2013 12:48 PM

Hmm ok that sounds all good. The usual way we go is I-80 and that seems to be pretty barren in terms of cops and traffic up there. I think state inspection is where we have issues in terms of coverage and local cops with nothing to do but pull people over for super minor infractions. Ill update if i decide to go ahead with the rear flares incase others are interested.

4cylToy 05-17-2013 12:56 PM

I'm unsure of laws in FL or PA, but the laws pertaining to your vehicle only matters to the state the vehicle is registered in. So if in FL, where the vehicle is registered, there is no flare law, then no matter what state you are in you don't need flares. But conversely, if you do need flares in FL, you could be pulled over. But I doubt PA officers know the laws of FL.

Dextreme 05-17-2013 01:45 PM

Some use tar paper on as a very temporary solution. Ain't pretty, but it will make ya legal.

PStov98TJ 05-17-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4cylToy (Post 3765847)
I'm unsure of laws in FL or PA, but the laws pertaining to your vehicle only matters to the state the vehicle is registered in. So if in FL, where the vehicle is registered, there is no flare law, then no matter what state you are in you don't need flares. But conversely, if you do need flares in FL, you could be pulled over. But I doubt PA officers know the laws of FL.

That's not my understating of the law. If you're in a state that has laws different from the one you came from, it is your responsibility to know and follow those laws. For instance, Mississippi is the only state (that I know of) that requires the use of helmets by motorcycle riders. They don't care if you just drove through all the other 47 lower states without one, you've gotta have one in Mississippi.

jeepers29 05-17-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3766010)
That's not my understating of the law. If you're in a state that has laws different from the one you came from, it is your responsibility to know and follow those laws. For instance, Mississippi is the only state (that I know of) that requires the use of helmets by motorcycle riders. They don't care if you just drove through all the other 47 lower states without one, you've gotta have one in Mississippi.


That's how I understand the laws from state to state work as well.

adkjoe 05-17-2013 02:41 PM

^ That is my understanding as well. The two states next door (new Hampshire and Maine) neither require helmets but if you drive into Vermont and don't have a helmet you will get a ticket. Also, New Hampshire is the only state in the country that does not require you to wear a seat belt, even if your car is registered in new Hampshire you still have to wear a seat belt in all other states.

Now with that said, I'm not sure if it makes a difference with things like lights, wheel coverage, etc... but I'm pretty sure you have to obey laws for whatever state your driving in regardless of where your vehicle is registered.

Csahara 05-18-2013 08:21 AM

Ok thanks for the replies, seems like i gotta make something at least.

PStov98TJ 05-18-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Csahara (Post 3768126)
Ok thanks for the replies, seems like i gotta make something at least.

Yep. I would.

I don't know about police officers up there but down here in Mississippi for example, they don't ticket me for running my windshield mounted KC's (and before I get flamed, I only run them late at night with minimal traffic, I don't purposely star gaze people) because they know I can probably just get the ticket fixed or fight the ticket. But if they see out of state tags, they're more likely to ticket you for speeding, or other infractions because they know you likely won't fight it and/or don't know anyone to get it fixed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.