Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Obama forces Marine to hold umbrella (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/obama-forces-marine-to-hold-umbrella-243267.html)

fan of fanboys 05-17-2013 11:03 AM

Obama forces Marine to hold umbrella

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2TY3rVlGC

Geez, even the little things with this guy pisses me off

JPi4.0 05-17-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 3765501)

it's not a little thing. it's totally out of line.

DeweysMom 05-17-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi4.0 (Post 3765513)
it's not a little thing. it's totally out of line.

Weren't there any aides standing around who could have done this???

viperx6x9x 05-17-2013 11:36 AM

Yup, gonna have to throw the bullshit flag on this one Obama. I would have had a pissed off look on my face too. Make me stand out in the rain while you get the umbrella? and our uniforms aren't as nice looking as the marines.

F that, I would have squeezed myself under the umbrella all nice and snuggly close just out of spite.

And whats up with the females getting to carry an umbrella and the males can't? They want to push all these equal opportunity sensitivity classes on us, and rules like this still exist? It's a a double standard military we work for I guess.

Senior Chief 05-17-2013 02:59 PM

Bad. Very bad.

brandon-99tj 05-17-2013 03:29 PM

And making jokes about it??? Seriously Obama????

bostiguy 05-17-2013 06:58 PM

http://moonbattery.com/marines-umbrella.jpg

viperx6x9x 05-17-2013 09:01 PM

Kinda funny though, the umbrella is tilted more towards the marine and not over obama's head at all. Marines 1, obama 0.

BlueRidgeYJ 05-17-2013 09:29 PM

Wow. What a cheese-eatin rat. With a cheese-eatin grin, no less.

Let's spend a boatload of money forming a man into an elite soldier with unparalleled discipline, give em a really neat and tidy uniform, then have him hold umbrellas so Bamers doesn't melt. Wtf?

Then again, if he is likely to melt, that just proves once and for all he is a pile o' $#*.

Fireslayer 05-17-2013 10:05 PM

OH MY GAWD!!!! How dare him!!!

Hopefully this will take some heat off our "Boy George" for being wanted for war crimes.

I love it when we can flip out once and a while. Lets keep those damn libbies on their toes!

DBoat 05-18-2013 06:39 AM

does this really surprise anyone? if he isnt the most egotistical president we have ever had, I dont know who is. This is just a liberals way of showing "whos in charge" to the military for whom they despise and could care less about.
this was despicable.

Drmad7 05-18-2013 07:04 AM

I was gonna call BS on this thread...but then read the article. I like "W" and Obama both. But I don't think he was being egotistical. He was ignorant of the rules. But that is why anybody running for President of The Unites States should have at least served in the military in order to be their leader. I never served(although I tried to join twice) and that would mean I couldn't run. That's okay with me. Not a good look, Mr President. Not at all. And his aides couldn't help because they didn't know the rules either, they just graduated from college and grad school! He needs senior leaders who know and understand more things than exit polls and political strategies.

TheDesertOutlaw 05-18-2013 10:48 AM

Now, I am starting to wonder if this is merely a case of manufactured outrage from the right, or have these laws changed so recently that this is actually, "Out of line?" If Reagan and Bush Sr. did it, what made it unacceptable policy today?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...32343214_n.jpg

SPC Gates J 05-18-2013 10:58 AM

I'm in the army and even though I'm not a fan if our president he still is my commander in chief, there are people directly in my chain of command who I couldn't care less for yet I still respect their authority and position. Sometimes we dislike him so much because of his policies that we let that judgement cloud our perspective. This marine is doing his job as a sentry and if he's a good marine we will never hear him complain about this

Gyrocat 05-18-2013 02:04 PM

Carlsbad0331 05-18-2013 03:05 PM

As a former US Marine, and someone who works in a company that is comprised almost entirely of former US Marines I really do not see the problem.
I would have willingly accepted the opportunity to stand next to the POTUS, my Commander in Chief and hold is umbrella, his briefcase, his microphone or his hand...
I had this discussion with my associates, and every one of us felt the same way. One of them is a recently retired Sgt. Maj and the other is a former 0321 Recon Marine... Regardless of political association, it is an honor to serve so closely to the POTUS.
Flame away, but it really is a non issue. There are MUCH more important things that can be bitched about.

fan of fanboys 05-18-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsbad0331 (Post 3768864)
As a former US Marine, and someone who works in a company that is comprised almost entirely of former US Marines I really do not see the problem.
I would have willingly accepted the opportunity to stand next to the POTUS, my Commander in Chief and hold is umbrella, his briefcase, his microphone or his hand...
I had this discussion with my associates, and every one of us felt the same way. One of them is a recently retired Sgt. Maj and the other is a former 0321 Recon Marine... Regardless of political association, it is an honor to serve so closely to the POTUS.
Flame away, but it really is a non issue. There are MUCH more important things that can be bitched about.

I don't disagree fully. And I'm not a marine and won't ever be. I'm always thankful for people willing to do what I won't or can't. And that ranges from fry cooker to construction to men and woman to serve for my (increasingly limited) freedom

IMO, and that's all I can offer, isn't the act individually. Asking/telling a marine to hold an umbrella. It's cumulative.
If Clinton did maybe wouldn't create such a stink. He showed consistent respect so would be a gaff.
With Obama and his record it can appear almost on purpose. His record shows lack of consideration and respect. A influx of arrogance.
It's not liberal v conservative. I personally think McCain/Palin is one of the worst choices ever.
It's Obama and his record that makes this a story.
Again, just my opinion and honestly on this topic you and fellow marines weighs heavier.

Carlsbad0331 05-18-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 3768929)
I don't disagree fully. And I'm not a marine and won't ever be. I'm always thankful for people willing to do what I won't or can't. And that ranges from fry cooker to construction to men and woman to serve for my (increasingly limited) freedom

IMO, and that's all I can offer, isn't the act individually. Asking/telling a marine to hold an umbrella. It's cumulative.
If Clinton did maybe wouldn't create such a stink. He showed consistent respect so would be a gaff.
With Obama and his record it can appear almost on purpose. His record shows lack of consideration and respect. A influx of arrogance.
It's not liberal v conservative. I personally think McCain/Palin is one of the worst choices ever.
It's Obama and his record that makes this a story.
Again, just my opinion and honestly on this topic you and fellow marines weighs heavier.

And I dont disagree entirely with you... I cant agree with many of the things this (or ANY previous) president has done. But the topic of discussion was not generalized to include a pattern of acts. It was started to discuss a single act, request, demand, etc... And speaking only to that act, request, demand I would have proudly held the POTUS umbrella for him.

barrydd 05-18-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior Chief (Post 3766235)
Bad. Very bad.

Agreed......

Milspec1 05-18-2013 07:45 PM

Well, I was chatting today with my NCOIC, a MSgt, and while we both agreed we probably would have done the same thing in the moment, we also agreed it may have been worth the risk by telling the Pres NO, and possibly get a Commandant's coin. EIther way, bad form on the pres's part. But hey, what would I know, I'm just a Sgt.

Hook Moore 05-18-2013 07:54 PM

I don't have a problem with this. I just have a problem with Obama.

bostiguy 05-18-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsbad0331 (Post 3768864)

While I completely respect your response and your service (thank you!), where does the line get drawn?
What if the POTUS asked a Marine to wipe the sweat from his brow? Is that respectable? Tie his untied shoes?
Hopefully this stuff never occurs. I just hate the fact that he is demeaning the honor of that Marine (in my civilian eyes). Whether he is President of the United States or not, he is a man, hold your own umbrella and give your speech. At what point in a man's life should he feel the need to have someone hold an umbrella for him?
I do agree with you that there are much more serious things to bitch about but this is today's "special of the day".

BlueRidgeYJ 05-18-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDesertOutlaw (Post 3768413)
Now, I am starting to wonder if this is merely a case of manufactured outrage from the right, or have these laws changed so recently that this is actually, "Out of line?" If Reagan and Bush Sr. did it, what made it unacceptable policy today?

Can't speak for everyone, but I don't think a guard on sentry should hold an umbrella for anyone, not even himself. That's umbrella duty, not sentry duty. That's my beef... and I don't like Dubya, his biological papy, or his theological papy doing it either. Can't we get a staffer, intern, paige, or something other than an elite guard? It just seems to highlight our govt excess while many Americans are struggling to make ends meet. It also seems like what you would see some of those strong handed guys we disposed doing.

Though I do find it funny how many illegal actions bamers has taken that are ignored by the right because they benefit the mil-ind complex, like our drone army patrolling our skies and shooting Americans. Those grounds for impeachment go untouched, lmao, while we bitch about the demeaning act of holding a stick for the ruler of the free world.

TheDesertOutlaw 05-18-2013 08:33 PM

Presidential History probably has something to do with the umbrellas being used

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3769635)
Though I do find it funny how many illegal actions bamers has taken that are ignored by the right because they benefit the mil-ind complex, like our drone army patrolling our skies and shooting Americans. Those grounds for impeachment go untouched, lmao, while we bitch about the demeaning act of holding a stick for the ruler of the free world.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...otype_edit.jpg
William Henry Harrison (February 9, 1773 April 4, 1841) was the ninth President of the United States (1841), an American military officer and politician, and the first president to die in office. Harrison died on his 32nd day in office[a] of complications from pneumonia, serving the shortest tenure in United States presidential history. His death sparked a brief constitutional crisis, but that crisis ultimately resolved many questions about presidential succession left unanswered by the Constitution until passage of the 25th Amendment.

Now, on to the good stuff! :wavey:

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3a35e115.png

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...inion/afp9.jpg

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/stati...9405141475.jpg

http://ametia.files.wordpress.com/20...-umbrella1.png

Fishead 05-18-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDesertOutlaw (Post 3768413)

I'm starting to think that this has nothing to do with the umbrella, and everything to do with Obama. There are photos of 3 other presidents doing the same thing and no pissing and moaning about them.
That means that this is just right wing rhetoric.

I'm a registered, card carrying republican so don't even start with the liberal bull crap. We all know what this is about and you are grasping at straws.

Seriously, find a better drum to bang.

Rubi513 05-18-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook Moore (Post 3769543)
I don't have a problem with this. I just have a problem with Obama.

Me too

O_M_Jeep 05-18-2013 10:42 PM

If this is all you people have to be upset about I would have to say your lives must be pretty f**king great and maybe you should just shut the f**k up and enjoy the fact that because of that man and the office he represents and that Marine and all the Marines HE represents you have the luxury to be upset about something so assinine and trivial.

And as far as all the Obama haters go, I would remind you all of the same thing I reminded the Clinton haters of - -

Like him or not, he managed to obtain the highest elected office in our country, and that is just slightly more than you or I have managed to accomplish in our lives, so I think your criticism is coming from a less than informed viewpoint.

Rubi513 05-18-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep (Post 3769980)
If this is all you people have to be upset about I would have to say your lives must be pretty f**king great and maybe you should just shut the f**k up and enjoy the fact that because of that man and the office he represents and that Marine and all the Marines HE represents you have the luxury to be upset about something so assinine and trivial.

And as far as all the Obama haters go, I would remind you all of the same thing I reminded the Clinton haters of - -

Like him or not, he managed to obtain the highest elected office in our country, and that is just slightly more than you or I have managed to accomplish in our lives, so I think your criticism is coming from a less than informed viewpoint.

Well thankfully we have the 1st amendment which gives us the right to say whatever we please. I have served my country. Have you? I would love for you to come down here to Texas and say to my face the same words you used in your post.

blackforestgreen 05-18-2013 11:40 PM

i served as a corpsman with the marines and couldn't tell you what rules there are that would prevent a a marine from holding an umbrella for the potus, but i can tell you any marine asked to do this would do it proudly. i would have considered it an honer.

O_M_Jeep 05-19-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3770029)
Well thankfully we have the 1st amendment which gives us the right to say whatever we please. I have served my country. Have you? I would love for you to come down here to Texas and say to my face the same words you used in your post.

I would no problem saying anything here directly to you, and yes, I grew up serving this country, I gave 20 years of my life involuntarily and then another few voluntarily, so yes, I did. If you have a problem with someone else having an opinion then it's a good thing you got out since you didnt take the service oath seriously.