Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Security - soft top vs hard (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/security-soft-top-vs-hard-243477.html)

xjcj5jku 05-18-2013 01:57 PM

Security - soft top vs hard

Ok, we all know a soft top is easier to break into... and we know anyone can get into our Jeep if they really want to. So the intent of my query is in the real world is there really much of a difference? Obviously there are many other factors at play here, but... Here is the question:

Have you been broken into and do you have a soft or hard top?

Sgt93 05-18-2013 02:19 PM

Thefts are the crime of opportunity. That should answer your question.

Drmad7 05-18-2013 02:56 PM

Have had both tops for different seasons since 2008. Never had a break-in. But I park on a federal base during the week and park in the driveway or street in front of my middle class house. I've only had two break-ins in 20+ years of vehicle ownership. As was mentioned, it's a crime of opportunity and I rarely leave anything of value visible in my jeep.

MTH 05-18-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjcj5jku (Post 3768751)
Have you been broken into and do you have a soft or hard top?

Soft top, and yes.

Posted a thread on it in fact: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jee...nto-99404.html

michiganadam 05-18-2013 03:21 PM

I park my jeep in the hood constantly. But i keep it in a somewhat hidden spot. I leave nothing valuable in it other than my gun which is locked in the center console which is just as secure as anything ....windows break easy too.....

Just keep insurance on it....

Infact you could break a window on a hardtop as easily as cutting a soft top. I dont think criminals know about the zippers but thats a slow way in.

MTH 05-18-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3768890)
I park my jeep in the hood constantly. But i keep it in a somewhat hidden spot. I leave nothing valuable in it other than my gun which is locked in the center console which is just as secure as anything ....windows break easy too.....

Infact you could break a window on a hardtop as easily as cutting a soft top. I dont think criminals know about the zippers but thats a slow way in.

I thought that too, but if you click the link on my break-in above you'll see how some knuckleheads got into my jeep by unzipping the rear soft top window.

Also, please get a locking steel underseat lockbox (or a locking steel center console) to keep that gun secure. You can break-in the locked stock center console merely by yanking it open.

GonzoBobH 05-18-2013 04:05 PM

Bikini top, no front doors, half doors in the back, no windows usually, JKU with Safari straps.

Never broken in to, and have left it at the airport. Then I just made sure it's was unlocked and empty.

The only way I would do a hardtop is a Wild Boar fastback, and then probably their grill (drool).

But really, a cool hood is next for me.

michiganadam 05-18-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 3768938)
I thought that too, but if you click the link on my break-in above you'll see how some knuckleheads got into my jeep by unzipping the rear soft top window.

Also, please get a locking steel underseat lockbox (or a locking steel center console) to keep that gun secure. You can break-in the locked stock center console merely by yanking it open.

Those lock boxes are easy to break in as well. Nobody shouod be breaking into my shit therefore my karma will remain intact

I saw that thread right after i posted that. But still, they couldve just broken a window.

You can ram a screwdriver into the locks and break the lock as well. I had an f250 that had been done to.

MTH 05-18-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3769066)

Those lock boxes are easy to break in as well. Nobody shouod be breaking into my shit therefore my karma will remain intact

I saw that thread right after i posted that. But still, they couldve just broken a window.

You can ram a screwdriver into the locks and break the lock as well. I had an f250 that had been done to.

At a minimum, you'll need tools to break into my underseat lockbox.

I doubt very much a screw driver would do it, but even assuming it would, you'll still need it. And you need to know the lockbox is there and how to open it with a screwdriver, neither of which is a given.

By contrast, the console is in plain sight and can literally just be yanked open with your hand.

It's not the same thing.

It my opinion--and it's just my opinion--keeping a firearm secured by only your stock console is pretty irresponsible.

Karma doesn't cut it.

woansleftpeg 05-18-2013 05:42 PM

I'm sorry, leaving a firearm in a vehicle like that is an incredibly irresponsible thing to do. Please don't do it.

Wrangler Wrassler 05-18-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3769202)
I'm sorry, leaving a firearm in a vehicle like that is an incredibly irresponsible thing to do. Please don't do it.

While I agree, it seems like you have been in a sour mood for a week because your hockey team is PISS POOR!!! Haha, LETS GO PENS!

2five22 05-18-2013 06:18 PM

Soft tops are perfectly fine for the owners who know to never leave anything in them.

If you are inclined to leave small or inexpensive items in your hard top Jeep [or any other vehicle for that matter], hide first and lock it down second.

Never leave a firearm in a vehicle unattended. Many such stolen firearms end up as homicide weapons and or arming gangs.

GonzoBobH 05-18-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2five22 (Post 3769296)
Never leave a firearm in a vehicle unattended. Many such stolen firearms end up as homicide weapons and or arming gangs.

Really?

Nice to know the extent of expertise here on the forums.

How many, exactly, firearms left in unattended vehicles end up in the hands of homicidal gang bangers?

For that matter, how many fire arms were stolen from unattended (as opposed to being from attended) vehicles in 2010? Curious. Very curious.
And exactly how many murders was that? Eight? Eighty? Eight thousand? What?

Thanks in advance for your reliable numbers.

BobH

LilYeller 05-18-2013 07:08 PM

Wow Train wreck lmao...

Listen there is no such thing as security when it comes to Jeeps, with or without the top on. Mine has a very good alarm system with a proximity sensor which tells people to back up if they get too close. pair that with my 2way pager remote and I know when someone/something gets too close to my Jeep and the rest can be left unsaid. also dont leave anything in there that will entice the criminals and they will likely just pass on by. BTW do you people just leave your doors on all the time?

michiganadam 05-18-2013 07:15 PM

The firearm is in an unattended vehicle because of gun control laws and gun free zones. If i was allowed to take it in post offices, bars, illinois, and chemical plants it would be on my hip instead. Gun control laws are irresponsible.

It needs to be in easy reach incase i need it in a hurry.

That said my center console has been modified. It is stronger than stock but i dont talk about it for security reasons.

I carry a cutting torch in the jeep on occasion. Uhm, thatll get em into a locked box for sure. I cant really put the torch in a locked box. ;)

live_slow 05-18-2013 07:16 PM

I drove a convertible for years and left the top down all the time. No problems. My XJ always had an action packer full of tools in the back. I'd normally lock the XJ, but not the box.

I did drop my comprehensive on the JK to zero. But that's more for random damage.

I think the trick is to keep it empty unless you're with it. I keep a cheap breaker bar and cheap set of harbor freight sockets in mine for day to day driving. It's new and has a new lift on it. So you know, better to have a few things at hand. (They are wrapped in an old towel with a bungee around it, under the seat.)

I'm slowly preparing a lockable toolbox for every day riding around, but that would come out for the airport or if we went to a movie or something.

michiganadam 05-18-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilYeller (Post 3769413)
Wow Train wreck lmao...

Listen there is no such thing as security when it comes to Jeeps, with or without the top on. Mine has a very good alarm system with a proximity sensor which tells people to back up if they get too close. pair that with my 2way pager remote and I know when someone/something gets too close to my Jeep and the rest can be left unsaid. also dont leave anything in there that will entice the criminals and they will likely just pass on by. BTW do you people just leave your doors on all the time?

What alarm do you have? Id like to get one....

Anyway......as for doors....im always concerned some moron is going to sit in my jeep when im doorless and end up putting the transfer case in neutral and wreck it.

BManz 05-18-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilYeller (Post 3769413)
Listen there is no such thing as security when it comes to Jeeps,

That's true of any vehicle. No vehicle is secure unless your driving an armored car or the presidential limo. Firearms shouldn't be left in a vehicle, and if I can find the FBI stats, many guns in gangbanger hands are stolen from police, and our Dept of Homeland Security has a poor track record for list weapons; a Google search reveals some eye openers.

michiganadam 05-18-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BManz (Post 3769458)
That's true of any vehicle. No vehicle is secure unless your driving an armored car or the presidential limo. Firearms shouldn't be left in a vehicle, and if I can find the FBI stats, many guns in gangbanger hands are stolen from police, and our Dept of Homeland Security has a poor track record for list weapons; a Google search reveals some eye openers.

Where should i leave my firearm? hmm?

2five22 05-18-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH (Post 3769384)
Really?

Nice to know the extent of expertise here on the forums.

How many, exactly, firearms left in unattended vehicles end up in the hands of homicidal gang bangers?

For that matter, how many fire arms were stolen from unattended (as opposed to being from attended) vehicles in 2010? Curious. Very curious.
And exactly how many murders was that? Eight? Eighty? Eight thousand? What?

Thanks in advance for your reliable numbers.

BobH

I was a street cop and detective for a metro Phoenix, AZ police department for nearly 25 years. I have personally seen it in repeated incidents.

If you want Incident Reports detailing these facts, I can provide them at ten cents a copy - that's what the cities charge for the copies.

Go call someone else's bluff because you failed here.

Adult Beverage 05-18-2013 07:48 PM

Home?

woansleftpeg 05-18-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler Wrassler (Post 3769243)
While I agree, it seems like you have been in a sour mood for a week because your hockey team is PISS POOR!!! Haha, LETS GO PENS!

I'm in a terrific mood because my hockey team is once again the pride of Canada despite having no right to be in the second round after the injuries we've had this season, and I haven't yet given up hope that we can beat the nine men that Pittsburgh have on the ice every night. Although we might be straying from the topic a little.

michiganadam 05-18-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adult Beverage (Post 3769520)
Home?

Doesnt do me any good there unless im home. I suppose having 20 loaded guns under my bed isnt secure either? Dont know why people are in my home to find this out though.

I work in gary indiana by the way.

Remmy18 05-18-2013 09:13 PM

Soft top is way less secure. Thieves cut the soft top bc it doesn't make any noise. Breaking a window is loud and will get someone shot or torn up by my dogs if it happens in my driveway. I leave my laptop bag with my Mac and iPad locked with my hardtop on all the time. I'd never do that with the soft top.

Yes, I roll doorless all the time. I cringe when I see top down doors on. ;)

Kleff 05-18-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3768890)

Dear Criminals in my "hood":

I park my Jeep there, but it's hidden.

There's a gun in it.

And, did you realize my windows unzip?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Z-TJ 05-18-2013 09:38 PM

I have both a hard and soft. Don't feel safe with ether. When I had my TJ I had the widows off and some one ripped my center consol apart and stole my sunglasses and GPS. I got a tuffy under seat lock box I never had anything stolen again. When I bought my JKUR, I bought the same lockbox and I'm saving for this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...46751780,d.eWU

michiganadam 05-18-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleff (Post 3769777)
Dear Criminals in my "hood":

I park my Jeep there, but it's hidden.

There's a gun in it.

And, did you realize my windows unzip?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lolllll

Kleff 05-18-2013 10:22 PM

Glad you realize it was all in good fun. Enjoy your Jeep.

socal-jk 05-18-2013 11:29 PM

I figure if they will cut your top they will smash a window.

BManz 05-18-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3769474)

Where should i leave my firearm? hmm?

As a firearm owner and one who works with law enforcement, firearm owners are responsible for the disposition and secure storage of firearms. A safe is a good start. If your gun is stolen and used in a crime, you'll have some explaining to do. Even if its not used in a crime, you'll have to explain why your vehicle is considered safe overnight storage. It's one thing to store it temporarily while dining in a gun-free zone, but leaving in a vehicle all the time when parking is not the best modus operandi.