Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Snorkle on a 97 TJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/snorkle-on-a-97-tj-243525.html)

PA Hardwoods 05-18-2013 08:33 PM

Snorkle on a 97 TJ
 
Can anyone tell me why when i research snorkle kits for a TJ they only say for 99 and newer? I want to put one on my 97 TJ bud im concerned there is some serious reason they dont have them for the 97.

wwch99tj 05-18-2013 08:41 PM

Not sure... some things changed on the engines through the years.
Here's one
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/arb-saf...-ss1050hf.html

PA Hardwoods 05-18-2013 10:38 PM

see when you go on ARB's website it says their snorkle fits TJs from 9/99 to newer...so that leads me to believe some change was made in 9/99 that allowed snorkles to work...does anyone know what it could be?

tbensor 05-18-2013 11:47 PM

no disrespect but why do you want a snorkle? There are tons of videos with guys with snorkles killing their engines because of poor seals

Sinister6 05-18-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 3769992)
no disrespect but why do you want a snorkle? There are tons of videos with guys with snorkles killing their engines because of poor seals


THIS! x10

martytj 05-19-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 3769992)
no disrespect but why do you want a snorkle? There are tons of videos with guys with snorkles killing their engines because of poor seals


seals on the snorkle or seals in the engine? here in Australia water crossings are a part of 4wding..

thanks

jimmy_buckle 05-19-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martytj (Post 3770249)
seals on the snorkle or seals in the engine? here in Australia water crossings are a part of 4wding..

thanks

ONYA marty. He speaks the truth. I went wheeling on the weekend and crossed 4 creeks. Not deep enough to reach my intake but when they swell they will be. That's why I am going to get a snorkel

callbob 05-19-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy_buckle (Post 3770263)
ONYA marty. He speaks the truth. I went wheeling on the weekend and crossed 4 creeks. Not deep enough to reach my intake but when they swell they will be. That's why I am going to get a snorkel

I really don't get the snorkel thing other than "the look". If you are going into water high enough to get to your stock intake, it would be somewhere around your waist inside. At what point do you say "maybe this isn't a good idea"? My winch would be underwater and probably short out half of the electrical besides. Jeeps are pretty cool vehicles and go alot of places, but until they make the "Jesus version" (walks on water) I think I will use common sense.

T2000J 05-19-2013 08:39 AM

Try a search there are a few threads on this a few are about make your own . To hard for me to find the links on my phone . GL

Trailsnail 05-19-2013 09:31 AM

I too don't get the snorkels. How often are you in water up to the bottom of your hood. You need to focus on properly sealing your TC and axels, and vents for the axels

kshaws21 05-19-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailsnail (Post 3770530)
I too don't get the snorkels. How often are you in water up to the bottom of your hood. You need to focus on properly sealing your TC and axels, and vents for the axels

This!!!!^^^^

A snorkel is ok IF you take the time to properly seal everything else. Just a snorkel by itself is no better at protecting your Jeep from water than the factory intake.

If you have done all the necessary things to truly waterproof your Jeep and will actually cross water deep enough to justify them, go for it.

I'm one of those who think they just look stupid.

If you are using a snorkel just for looks....don't!!

Rubicondon53 05-19-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callbob (Post 3770426)
I really don't get the snorkel thing other than "the look". If you are going into water high enough to get to your stock intake, it would be somewhere around your waist inside. At what point do you say "maybe this isn't a good idea"? My winch would be underwater and probably short out half of the electrical besides. Jeeps are pretty cool vehicles and go alot of places, but until they make the "Jesus version" (walks on water) I think I will use common sense.

You are erroneously implying that people that go on very long range off road expeditions posses a complete lack of common sense. Here in the lower 48, it is not really necessary to be sporting a snorkel, as most all times, you can find a route around deep water crossings to reach your destination... This is not the case when traversing Australia, Africa, Central or South America. ( did I mention Asia ). When you suggest that others are not utilizing common sense, it deepens my opinion that you have never been on any long range adventures, you just wheel locally with a bunch of your buds .. There is a huge difference... But that's why we all own off road machines, so we can choose the road less traveled..

AFS-LEE 05-19-2013 04:16 PM

I like my arb snorkel extra insurance for me

PA Hardwoods 05-19-2013 05:33 PM

What year is your TJ that the ARB snorkle is on?

callbob 05-19-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3771291)
You are erroneously implying that people that go on very long range off road expeditions posses a complete lack of common sense. Here in the lower 48, it is not really necessary to be sporting a snorkel, as most all times, you can find a route around deep water crossings to reach your destination... This is not the case when traversing Australia, Africa, Central or South America. ( did I mention Asia ). When you suggest that others are not utilizing common sense, it deepens my opinion that you have never been on any long range adventures, you just wheel locally with a bunch of your buds .. There is a huge difference... But that's why we all own off road machines, so we can choose the road less traveled..

Check out some of the pictures on here of "local" jeeps buried to the hood in water just to see if they can get through. Then just for s&g, see how many are in these exotic locations you speak of. I am addressing the plethora of regular jeepers that think with a snorkel you can cross 6' deep water. The issue I am addressing is like a previous poster said about correctly preparing for said dunkin like vent tubes, waterproofing and general all around preparedness. I would bet 98% of the posters on here don't do the safari trips. and no I do not either, the 6 jeeps I have had over my 61 years are used for mall crawling.:whistling:
or sand dunes or Colorado trails or New Mexico rock crawling or just about anything other than hood deep water just to say I did it. Nothing was said or implied about long range around the world in 90 days Mr. World Traveler. Enjoy your expeditions. Post pics.

Rubicondon53 05-19-2013 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I stand corrected.... I took your statement in the purist of literal terms..... . Agreed,,,,, here in the states many go out just to prove they can conquer nature,, rather than traveling to remote areas to be at one with.. The snorkel here, is a complete waste of money.. And no, I am not a world traveler, I'm just a bit familiar with equipment used for such excursions and every long range expedition vehicle used to traverse those exotic places is equipped with a snorkel.. Notice that I don not sport a snorkel, if its too deep, I go around ..

AFS-LEE 05-19-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Hardwoods (Post 3771731)
What year is your TJ that the ARB snorkle is on?

2006 lj rubicon

Jeepzjlover 05-20-2013 01:28 AM

There are so many of you against a snorkel even for just that once when you get hood deep it payed itself off. I myself have blown one motor in my XJ due to water ingestion and had water over the hood in my TJ I got very very lucky there my breathers are all raised everything else is siliconed and has dielectric grade

callbob 05-20-2013 07:39 AM

Just to be clear. I am not against a snorkel. My point was the vast majority of people that want or have a snorkel do it for the looks. The waterproofing that should go along with the installation of said snorkel is never done and because we now have said snorkel, we can ford the deepest water crossing we can find, hence the pics and carnage resulting from severe engine damage and/or electrical issues. Again, it should be obvious most of the peeps on here do it for the look, which if it is their thing, great. Just use some common sense. It is cheaper in the long run.

The Newbie 06-11-2013 11:25 AM

I do agree snorkels do make the jeep look cooler, I want to get one for my jeep because it looks cool. I know that once you go to deep other things in the jeep flood

mikemounlio 06-11-2013 12:49 PM

I am in the works of a DIY snorkle. Not because i cross super deep water and not just for the look. I am doing it for something to do on the weekend and just in case i may find a spot to cross it would ease my worry of water damage.

I will extend the tubes tho.

kyjeep 06-11-2013 01:00 PM

I'd rather see a snorkel on a Jeep than a CAI. I would never run one because of the trails I like to take. One trip and a snorkel would fall victim to a tree.

Dextreme 06-11-2013 01:09 PM

My logic is simply (not directed at the OP), if you come on forums to ask about Snorkles...then you and your Jeep should stay out of the water as it should be the last piece to the water proofing puzzle.

Also if you install a snorkel for looks, expect the resale worth of your Jeep to take a steep dive. Snorkles = Red Flag for buyers.

PitViper 06-11-2013 10:11 PM

What about snorkels being used for there intended purposes? Air quality. They were not intentionally designed for water but to get cleaner and cooler air than what the factory stock intakes will. Here in Bakersfield it was already 108 this past weekend. And with a black jeep that engine runs hot. There has to be at least a 100 degree temp difference when using a snorkel.

Anymore though with water crossings, everything has to be sealed. I no longer go in anything deeper than my foot steps. Learned about the Tranny breather the hard way and had to rebuild the whole thing.

Personally i would only get one if Rugged Ridge would make there low profile one to fit a TJ. For some reason something always hits my passenger side. I broke that mirror 3 times. A snorkel would be ripped off to quick. lol

Sladedean753 09-01-2014 08:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Honestly, I built my homemade snorkel kit for fun. It is functional and I do like the look. Will I ever drive through a lake. Probably not but if the situation called for it, might just try it out. Built it out of a old Ford tractor intake.

Roy626 09-02-2014 08:48 AM

Check River Raider out.

TJ Expedition Snorkel
Look in the instructions section. It shows it mounted on a 97'

IMHO

Will a snorkel make a jeep able to cross the Mississippi? Absolutely not!! But it will keep water out of the airbox (if sealed properly) A lot of water hazards require a nose down attitude of the jeep to enter them. Your airbox is in the nose of your jeep. So it is not unrealistic to think you may submerge the nose somewhat entering and intake water to the engine. Now, diff breathers, TC and trans breathers should also be relocated so they are sealed. (routed to the airbox.) Frt diff on my 97 TJ is in the front by the radiator. Sealing the electrical system is a whole other animal. Some like how they "look" some don't. I personally couldn't use the windshield style because I have a congo cage. The cowl type would work. Do I have one? Not yet, but as money permits I will get one. In my opinion, cheaper then replacing an engine and pays for itself the first time you need it. I'm a better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it person.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.