Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Spectator dies after stunt goes wrong at Edmonton SUV event (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/spectator-dies-after-stunt-goes-wrong-at-edmonton-suv-event-243530.html)

Juancho 05-18-2013 08:51 PM

Spectator dies after stunt goes wrong at Edmonton SUV event

Keep it safe guys... Keep it safe...

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_r...y=80&size=420x

EDMONTON — A 20-year-old woman is dead after she was pinned by an SUV in a “tragic accident” at a Jeep enthusiast charity event in downtown Edmonton, say witnesses.

Police tape surrounded the southwest corner of the Oliver Square shopping plaza Saturday afternoon at the Jeeps Go Topless Day charity event where an orange Jeep was tipped on its side next to a silver Jeep with its hood dented in.

Edmonton police said the crash happened shortly after 1 p.m. when a climbing stunt between two Jeeps went awry, causing the orange Jeep to lose control and strike a female spectator near the parked silver Jeep.

“A pedestrian was struck by one of the vehicles and was severely injured and it’s now been determined to be a fatality,” said Insp. Chad Tawfik.

Tawfik said hundreds of people were in the area at the time and bystanders attempted to perform CPR on the woman but it was not successful.

The driver of the orange Jeep was also taken to hospital with unknown injuries, he said.

Traffic was shutdown near the crash as officers investigated.

The victims’ services unit was called to the scene to help console witnesses, said Tawfik, some of whom were children.

“It’s an extremely traumatizing event,” he said.

Desiree Hallworth witnessed the accident and was one of the first to dial 911. She said the two drivers were performing a “clearly practiced” stunt where the orange Jeep drove up on another Jeep’s tire.

“To me, it seemed like he gave it a little too much getting off the tire...,” she said.

“He tried to steer but steered right into the silver Jeep and there was a woman leaning against the jeep and he drove up on top of her.”

Hallworth said she was terrified by the accident but doesn’t believe it was the driver’s fault. She said organizers lacked safety standards and allowed people to get too close to the Jeeps during the trick.

The Jeeps Go Topless event was to raise money and food donations for Edmonton’s Food Bank.

Property Manager Tom Pandos said he wasn’t present during the accident, but he says that trick had been performed multiple times both that day and at last year’s event.

“They’ve done it may times, that’s what these Jeeps are all about,” he said.

“They have special lifts and springs and everything else so they’re all proud of what their vehicles can do. This is a freak scenario.”

Spectator dies after stunt goes wrong at Edmonton SUV event | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

jkmohican 05-18-2013 09:10 PM

I saw this on another thread, it's horrible. I'm going to be honest, I realize they were unorganized but if there is a jeep climbing up the tire of the jeep your standing next to, your really doing something wrong. It's like those track races where the audience stands on the side of the track. You are accepting the risk of an accident to happen, even if the risk is low. The lady was standing by a jeep that was performing a risky task, I wouldn't be anywhere near the thing. But, with all that aside, I will pray for her and her loved ones, I couldn't imagine how I would feel after such an incident, so I will keep the driver and girl in my mind. Sad story.

mattdaddy71 05-18-2013 09:52 PM

Wow.. I was absolutely blown away when I read this.. I was actually going to head out to this event, and meet some of the Jeep drivers in Edmonton, but went out to the lake with some friends instead...

legitposter 05-18-2013 10:42 PM

Flexing is so embarrassing and pointless... now that it killed someone it should be forbidden completely.

theKrow 05-18-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3769840)
Flexing is so embarrassing and pointless... now that it killed someone it should be forbidden completely.

This...

JKASS 05-18-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkmohican (Post 3769593)
You are accepting the risk of an accident to happen, even if the risk is low. The lady was standing by a jeep that was performing a risky task, I wouldn't be anywhere near the thing. .

If this had happened at someones house I would agree with you 100%. However, at an organized event, which had planned and practiced this "show." I believe she had the right to assume that safety precautions were being taken. Sure, people have to look out for themselves, but the organizers here should have been looking out for everyone's safety aswell.

PhotoWrangler 05-18-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by theKrow (Post 3769905)
This...

x2

WatchThis! 05-19-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

I disagree. If everthing that someone got killed at was baned then we would not even be able to do ANYTHING. Yes it is very sad that it happend but jumping on the ban it because some one got hurt wagon is very disrespectful in my book. No since in trying to bring politics into it.

If it was something that was happening every day it would be different but this was a freak accident and using a tragic accident like this to call for a ban of something you dont like or agree with is horrible. Go aheah and tell me how wrong and how bad of a person I am for calling you out in public on this. I'm a big boy I can handle it.

As I said in the other thread I will add the lady and her family to my prayer tonight. I will also say one for the person who was driving and has to live with this for the rest of there life.

OffRoadCam09 05-19-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3770040)

I disagree. If everthing that someone got killed at was baned then we would not even be able to do ANYTHING. Yes it is very sad that it happend but jumping on the ban it because some one got hurt wagon is very disrespectful in my book. No since in trying to bring politics into it.

If it was something that was happening every day it would be different but this was a freak accident and using a tragic accident like this to call for a ban of something you dont like or agree with is horrible. Go aheah and tell me how wrong and how bad of a person I am for calling you out in public on this. I'm a big boy I can handle it.

As I said in the other thread I will add the lady and her family to my prayer tonight. I will also say one for the person who was driving and has to live with this for the rest of there life.

I agree completely. Although it is very tragic an unfortunate to bash someone for flexing or driving up on another jeep does no good. If you don't wanna flex, offroad, ect. That's your choice. Some of us enjoy it an like to see what our rigs are capable of. Common sense plays a roll in the situation an it was a freak accident. It's very unfortunate an hate to see anyone get hurt at that killed an my prayers go out to the family.

Jaker jk 05-19-2013 01:48 AM

I killed this rock when I flexed out on it
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps12bd2822.jpg
But really what makes me laugh is the fact that there is 4 threads on this same story and not one of you even knew that when you posted it

also since nobody can read what was wrote in the story they didn't clearly say what they where doing when it happen

Think for a moment she was standing next to the silver jeep but got pinned under the orange jeep and the orange jeep is in a weird spot

The is way more to this story that has not been mention

upin1212 05-19-2013 01:49 AM

Truly sad.

Jaker jk 05-19-2013 02:06 AM

Ok I had to read this 4 times to make sense

There is 3 jeeps in the story the orange , the silver and unknown color

The orange was getting off the unknown jeep tires , while getting down he lost control and crashed into the silver jeep ( where the girl was standing ) and pinned her and flipped over from the crash

So the silver jeep and the girl had no part in the stack , but the guy getting down lost control and crashed into the jeep and the girl

Juancho 05-19-2013 09:15 AM

here is a video report of the fatality...

Woman killed at show and shine jeep event in Edmonton | Alberta | News | Calgary Sun

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...ry/8406639.jpg

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...ry/8406640.jpg

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...ry/8406642.jpg

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...ry/8406643.jpg

i only can say Jeeps are great... and Jeep community is one of the best... if you attend shows like this... just stay away from any dangerous stunt perform...

it is a tragedy indeed... i wish never of this happened, but unfortunately this is life and we never expect to die this way... my deepest condolences to the family members...

remember.. life must go on... just stay safe..!!!!!!

jadmt 05-19-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

I do not flex nor have the desire too but I forbiddening it? May as well ban jeeps and all things mechanical and big macs and whoopers and nascar and NFL. It is a terrible thing but forbiddening it completely is over the top. Enacting some safety guidelines for such events is probably in order tho.

JKASS 05-19-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffRoadCam09 (Post 3770163)
Common sense plays a roll in the situation an it was a freak accident.

This was an organized stunt at an organized event. I think it was common sense for the girl to assume she was safe. If this was taking place in someone's driveway then I would agree with the lack of common sense on the victims part. Common sense from the organizers and drivers was clearly lacking, no way was this a freak accident!

dragginwagon406 05-19-2013 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker jk (Post 3770217)
Ok I had to read this 4 times to make sense

There is 3 jeeps in the story the orange , the silver and unknown color

The orange was getting off the unknown jeep tires , while getting down he lost control and crashed into the silver jeep ( where the girl was standing ) and pinned her and flipped over from the crash

So the silver jeep and the girl had no part in the stack , but the guy getting down lost control and crashed into the jeep and the girl

As I read it, the silver Jeep and spectator were a good distance ahead of where the tire crawling occurred. As the orange Jeep came down off the tire, it sped out of control (throttle sticking or something). It appeared to go head on with the silver Jeep, which the victim was leaning against, crushing the victim. The orange Jeep pushed the silver Jeep back until it lodged against a cement light pole base and then continued to climb the silver Jeep, eventually slipping off the passenger side of the silver Jeep and resting on the right side, wheels still turning.

Check out this photo, the circular mark is definitely from the tires still turning while the orange Jeep is on it's side. This would make me lean to mechanical failure, something got under the brake pedal or maybe the driver smacked his head on the way down. Hard to say unless you were actually there.

One thing, for sure it has changed many lives and my prayers go out to those involved.

laollis 05-19-2013 10:13 AM

So very sad. :'(

michiganadam 05-19-2013 10:17 AM

That looks like a JK. Have you ever noticed the jk lacks a throttle cable? Theres a motor on the throttle air valve (on electronic fuel injection, throttle is only for air....fuel is injected electronically by throttle position sensor and oxygen sensor readings). And a sensor on the pedal.

If the throttle on a jk did mechanically jam open, there would be no way to unstick it. You would have to turn the key Off. Brakes are also more powerful than the engine, but all this requires you to have a presence of mind. The oh crap!! Factor keeps you from thinking.

I did have the throttle stick on an old f250. I smacked it wide open on a city street being a jackass and next thing you know, that 351 came to life and wouldnt back down...... it took me about a block to get it stopped...i had to shut the ignition off and then reach my foot under the pedal to close the carburetor...

JTPhoto JK 05-19-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKASS (Post 3769954)

If this had happened at someones house I would agree with you 100%. However, at an organized event, which had planned and practiced this "show." I believe she had the right to assume that safety precautions were being taken. Sure, people have to look out for themselves, but the organizers here should have been looking out for everyone's safety aswell.

So your saying you can shut your common sense off because its an organized event? Organized or not everyone needs to use there own common sense at all times. Things happen and we must all be prepared. Any event that involves machinery has the potential to cause injury. What about the old fella that ran into a crowd of hikers yesterday with his car.
And yes organizers should be there to keep the people with no common sense back out of harms way.
It is a sad day for the community.

To that note there have really been mixed stories. The Canadian National news stated last night that she was actually standing inside the silver Jeep.

JeeperJake 05-19-2013 10:26 AM

Undoubtedly the attorneys will be grinding the events down into the nano particle region to establish who/what was responsible.

Life is precious, accidents do happen.

Attempting to limit exposure to foreseeable potential accidents by banning everything is not the kind of reality that will prevent other non foreseeable accidents.

dragginwagon406 05-19-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3770633)
That looks like a JK. Have you ever noticed the jk lacks a throttle cable? Theres a motor on the throttle air valve (on electronic fuel injection, throttle is only for air....fuel is injected electronically by throttle position sensor and oxygen sensor readings). And a sensor on the pedal.

I didn't mention a cable. Something could have fallen on the pedal itself as he came down off the tire.

Quote:

If the throttle on a jk did mechanically jam open, there would be no way to unstick it. You would have to turn the key Off.

I wonder why the tires where still spinning while the orange Jeep was on it's side? I wonder what stopped them from spinning eventually?

Quote:

Brakes are also more powerful than the engine...

Not always true. Ever tried to stop a regeared Jeep with a 4:1 transfer case (or worse with most Atlas cases), in first gear? Stock brakes in non-stock applications are a common issue that likely need addressed. It was lifted, were the brake lines long enough?

Quote:

...but all this requires you to have a presence of mind. The oh crap!! Factor keeps you from thinking.

True story. I had a friend who had a throttle cable stick at the top end of the track - stock brakes were not slowing down his 406...he tried, locked the fronts, skidded out of control, scraped the retaining walls, shifted into neutral, blew the engine and recovered mostly (except for the skid marks in his shorts of course).

michiganadam 05-19-2013 11:30 AM

I know you didnt mention a cable. I did. Because the cable would allow you to unstick the throttle by pulling on the pedal with your foot. Which means i honestly wouldnt have trusted that jk to be operated with people in front of it in any sort of exhibition.

The guy probably never shut the engine off. You can run without oil pressure for several minutes (an upside down jk would have no oil pressure...). I was a passenger in a 93 firebird that rolled over in 94. I was able to get out before the driver and front seat passenger (my parents), because i used the back window instead of a door. Engine was still idling along in gear, passenger side rear tire musta been doing 20....engine ran fine until it was shut off, which was the LAST thing on anyones mind. Human lives are at stake. To hell with the motor, we almost died.

The impact may have unstuck the throttle.

And like i said, that f250 traveled a city block before i got it shut down. The brakes didnt stop it either. But they did keep it from exceeding 30 mph. I was doing 2 when it happened.....

scottmphoto 05-19-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Disagree. This is why everyone else loses out when one person's poor decision making results in an accident.

If we had it your way, we'd all be locked in bubble wrap-lined homes, never to go outside an take any risk.

We need to let tragedy be tragic, learn some lessons, mourn, and then get back on the horse and move on.

michiganadam 05-19-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmphoto (Post 3771232)
disagree. This is why everyone else loses out when one person's poor decision making results in an accident.

If we had it your way, we'd all be locked in bubble wrap-lined homes, never to go outside an take any risk.

We need to let tragedy be tragic, learn some lessons, mourn, and then get back on the horse and move on.

+1

woansleftpeg 05-19-2013 03:01 PM

I don't see anything wrong with flexing if that's what floats your boat, but when it's a public display like this, there's a responsibility on the organisers and participants to ensure that spectators who may not realise or appreciate the risks involved are standing in a place where they are out of harm's way.

Sgt93 05-19-2013 03:05 PM

Horrible, thoughts and prayers with friends and family of the victim.

JKWrangler2012 05-19-2013 03:42 PM

Bummer. My thoughts and prayers go out for all that are affected.

Unrelated to this accident. I'd like to think, that if my throttle ever "sticks", that I'd depress the clutch pedal.

michiganadam 05-19-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKWrangler2012 (Post 3771460)
Bummer. My thoughts and prayers go out for all that are affected.

Unrelated to this accident. I'd like to think, that if my throttle ever "sticks", that I'd depress the clutch pedal.

I would too. If i had a clutch pedal.

dragginwagon406 05-19-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmphoto (Post 3771232)
Disagree. This is why everyone else loses out when one person's poor decision making results in an accident.

x2

David M 05-19-2013 06:01 PM

Sadly, although I'm not 100% positive, I believe the ill-fated girl can be seen in this video moments before the tragedy. She's possibly sitting on top of the silver JK in the background, at the 0:36 second mark. Hopefully, this video will be a vivid reminder to some, not to perform silly 4x4 stunts, anywhere, with people in close proximity. Prayers for her family.

20 year old woman died after a Jeep stunt went wrong Jeeps Go Topless Rally Edmonton Canada - YouTube