Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   trying to my gearing right.Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/trying-to-my-gearing-right-help-243584.html)

evilmonkey454 05-19-2013 05:52 AM

trying to my gearing right.Help
 
So I bought my first Jeep. It's a 98 Sahara with a 4.0 and 35inch super swampers and it has a blown rear end it has 3.07s now . I want to up the gearing but not sure where to go. I hear a lot of people talking about 5.13s but for some reason it seems a little to much , as I still want to be able to drive it down the highway with out blowing the motor. Right now I'm torn between 4.88s and 4.56s however I'm reading and being told 4.10s might be the way to go. Please help and I'm sorry for bring up the gearing thing again as I see it on plenty of posts.

Big Cole 05-19-2013 06:27 AM

What transmission?

Water Dog 05-19-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cole (Post 3770356)
What transmission?

^^X2...Stick or auto?

SpoiledRotten 05-19-2013 10:29 AM

And are you going to stay with the 35s or maybe 33s in the future?
I have 33s and the 4.0 with manual 5 spd. I love the 4.56 gears in mine. They seem to be the perfect fit for my application.

Rubi513 05-19-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmonkey454 (Post 3770339)
So I bought my first Jeep. It's a 98 Sahara with a 4.0 and 35inch super swampers and it has a blown rear end it has 3.07s now . I want to up the gearing but not sure where to go. I hear a lot of people talking about 5.13s but for some reason it seems a little to much , as I still want to be able to drive it down the highway with out blowing the motor. Right now I'm torn between 4.88s and 4.56s however I'm reading and being told 4.10s might be the way to go. Please help and I'm sorry for bring up the gearing thing again as I see it on plenty of posts.

Most people who run 5.13 gears have the 42rle transmission, which you will not have.

evilmonkey454 05-19-2013 01:23 PM

Wow thanks for the overwhelming response. Sorry I did not give you all the info it is a 5 speed manual transmission

NC Bear 05-19-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmonkey454 (Post 3771262)
Wow thanks for the overwhelming response. Sorry I did not give you all the info it is a 5 speed manual transmission


4.10-4.88 with 4.88 being optimum for heavy mud terrains and steel wheels.


Now, having said that, I have 4.10's and 33's and I am happy. I was told that I would still be ok if / when I went to 35's. If I do I will re re gear to 4.88.

evilmonkey454 05-19-2013 01:32 PM

More than likely I'll be staying with the 35's I really like the way they look. I was leaning toward the 4.56 because the would be a little more power then the 4.10s but a little more highway speed then the 4.88 gears. I found a chart that said the 4.10 would be best fuel the 4.56 would be close to factor and the 5.13 would be most power with 35 inch tires. However never said anything about engine or transmission. So that was the reason for the question thanks again for the quick response. I look forward to wheeling with my new toy.

evilmonkey454 05-19-2013 02:00 PM

NCBear how is that on the highway or do you just not use the highway that much?

amiller 05-19-2013 02:06 PM

What rear end do you have? If its a Dana 35, I would look to make a swap for a stronger axle. With 35's and a five speed, I'd go for the 4.88.

NC Bear 05-19-2013 02:10 PM

awesome on the highway. In fact I only have to downshift to 4th on very steep grades. 99.9% of the time I am in 5th and can accelerate rapidly. There is only one grade on the interstate that I have to downshift on. It is on the way to my home county in the mountains (Old Fort grade going into Black Mtn) Going up the Saluda grade on I 26 I can stay in 5th, as well as Cowee Mtn in Jackson / Macon co.

Obviously this is in NC....your mileage may vary.

I am running alloy wheels and lighter TA / KO's and 33's.

Big Cole 05-19-2013 02:39 PM

The correct answer is 4.88 gears. 5.13s are not an option with your D30. Don't waste your time or money installing 4.56s

Jerry Bransford 05-19-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmonkey454 (Post 3771262)
Wow thanks for the overwhelming response. Sorry I did not give you all the info it is a 5 speed manual transmission

4.88 is optimal for 35" tires, 4.0L engine, and the 5-speed transmission. I ran that combination for years and I couldn't have wished for a better gear ratio for both the highway and offroad use.

evilmonkey454 05-19-2013 03:41 PM

30 on the front and 35 on the rear would love some 44's but I'll make these work for now. Maybe I'll change to something different in the future

yoopone 05-22-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3771462)
4.88 is optimal for 35" tires, 4.0L engine, and the 5-speed transmission. I ran that combination for years and I couldn't have wished for a better gear ratio for both the highway and offroad use.

Would you change your mind if you had the 6 speed manual in the Rubicon? Or would the 4.88's still be the way to go?

Jerry Bransford 05-22-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopone (Post 3782634)
Would you change your mind if you had the 6 speed manual in the Rubicon? Or would the 4.88's still be the way to go?

That depends on you & your uses... if your Jeep is really a 99% road vehicle with lots of highway use & not much real offroading, you might like 4.56 better with the 6-speed. If it has a higher percentage of offroad use than that, you would probably like 4.88 better.

The woman I know who hated the 4.88 gearing with her 6-speed and 35" tires didn't do much (if any) offroading.

yoopone 05-23-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3783400)
That depends on you & your uses... if your Jeep is really a 99% road vehicle with lots of highway use & not much real offroading, you might like 4.56 better with the 6-speed. If it has a higher percentage of offroad use than that, you would probably like 4.88 better.

The woman I know who hated the 4.88 gearing with her 6-speed and 35" tires didn't do much (if any) offroading.

Thank you. It is mostly on the trails and mud of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Not much highway driving, not a daily driver but driven off road a ton. Thanks for answering, I appreciate it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.