Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Stuck on what to do our where to go (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stuck-on-what-to-do-our-where-to-go-243637.html)

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 12:05 PM

Stuck on what to do our where to go
 
I have been reading for weeks and stoping by 1 of the 2 shops in the area and asking questions. I thought I knew where I was going (or had it down to a few options). I will be reusing some tires that came off one of by last 4x4 procomp Xterrain 315/75R16 which converts to 34.6x12.4r16. Am doing this as there is only about 700 miles on them and trying to save where I can. Now for the lift thought I would go with
1. Metal Cloak unlimited duel rate @ 2.5”
OR
2. Rock Krawler Flex System @ 2.5”

but the shop tossed me a curve ball in that they said
1. Rubicon and how they cary parts for them and if anything goes wrong it could be a same day fix and with the others I would have to go deal with the manufacture (oh did I say that this shop is 4 wheel parts).
2. 3.5” will give me much more off-road ability and more options down the road. However, I know out the box I would have to do exaust (something: new or extensions) & driveshafts

I want a lift that is upgradable as I am now just getting into Jeeping, been into big trucks on and off in my life (Ford 250, 350 GMC 2500) all for mud and big lines but am in love with the versatility of my Jeep (2013 JK U Rubicon). I would like to have a 50/50 split in that this has to be reliable and drivable every day for work and has to fit under a 6'8” garage when I take it to work. As for off road you know I enjoy the mud already (includes water) but also like rocks, wood trails. I kinda have a big personality and like to go as big as I can.

Part of me is about to give up and just go with the stock rubicon stuff until I get so stuck I get pissed off and see where my head is at then. So that dosent happen; I would would welcome any advice I can get from all of you as I am completely confused if I should go 3.5” now and if the whole support is relay going to be a problem. OH, one more thing I am not the most mechanically inclined so probably will not do the lift by my self but can probably do repairs if and when needed.
:popcorn:

traitor08 05-19-2013 12:08 PM

I vote Rock Krawler.

I got this kit and I am very happy.

Here is the rundown of what I got.

The max travel kit.
Extended bumpstops
Fox shocks

If you break anything in this kit, the jeep won't be fixed in a day.

The 2.5 is enough to go 37's with flat fenders. If you never intend to go with bigger tires. No need for bigger lift.

This lift is upgradeable.

sinbob 05-19-2013 12:11 PM

:wavey:welcome to the addiction

My buddy just bought a 2013 JKRU he had the dealer install the lift and the tires 35's....My other buddy is running 37's on his 11 JKU...I will check with them to see what they have

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08 (Post 3771049)
I vote Rock Krawler.

ok but 2.5 or 3.5?

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbob (Post 3771057)
:wavey:welcome to the addiction

My buddy just bought a 2013 JKRU he had the dealer install the lift and the tires....My other buddy is running 37's on his 11 JKU...I will check with them to see what they have

Thanks you for the welcome and also the research with your buds :thumb:

Jaker jk 05-19-2013 12:13 PM

Hold on you confused me , what is 4wp trying to sell you or tell you

You said you was looking at lifting it , then in the last paragraph you said stock

Your two first choices are good and if you get some locals to help you install it you will learn a lot about your jeep and what parts do what

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker jk (Post 3771065)
Hold on you confused me , what is 4wp trying to sell you or tell you

You said you was looking at lifting it , then in the last paragraph you said stock

Your two first choices are good and if you get some locals to help you install it you will learn a lot about your jeep and what parts do what

Sorry for the confusion. it is 4wp that is saying rubicon and I am sure they would love to sell and install whatever I decide.

The stock coment is me saying maybe I just give up and stay stock until I get it so stuck I decide on 2.5 3.5 & one of the lifts

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08 (Post 3771049)
I vote Rock Krawler.

I got this kit and I am very happy.

Here is the rundown of what I got.

The max travel kit.
Extended bumpstops
Fox shocks

If you break anything in this kit, the jeep won't be fixed in a day.

The 2.5 is enough to go 37's with flat fenders. If you never intend to go with bigger tires. No need for bigger lift.

This lift is upgradeable.

:Thanx:
Funny that was my thinking also as I do not intend to ever of past 37 I also picked fox for the RK's. BUT, then saw the CFI's that the MC were putting up and was very impressed

Jaker jk 05-19-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rottenbigdogs (Post 3771077)
Sorry for the confusion. it is 4wp that is saying rubicon and I am sure they would love to sell and install whatever I decide.

The stock coment is me saying maybe I just give up and stay stock until I get it so stuck I decide on 2.5 3.5 & one of the lifts

Screw 4wp they will tell you they have it in stock , but I put money on it you walk in there looking for a control arm and they will tell you they got to order it

As for you lift height it really depends on how big of a tire you really want to go , with the tires you have now 2.5 would work great

Like I said before the 2 first choices in lifts are a good choice , get the one that gives you the most parts for your buck

WatchThis! 05-19-2013 12:34 PM

Go with a good quality lift and you won't have to worry about how much trouble it will be to replace components that fail.

Do you plan on wheeling hard enough to be tearing up suspension parts? If so you need a whole new suspension, not just a lift kit.

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3771131)
Go with a good quality lift and you won't have to worry about how much trouble it will be to replace components that fail.

Do you plan on wheeling hard enough to be tearing up suspension parts? If so you need a whole new suspension, not just a lift kit.

That is a good question and the reason behind wanting a system that is upgradable also the reason for not going with a cheeper lift. I do not know that I want to go a full suspension swap at this time or that I will beat it up that much as it still has to be a DD.

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 01:47 PM

This is the MC Kit I am looking at

sinbob 05-19-2013 02:28 PM

Ok checked with my buddy he has a Rubicon Express 3.5 on his JKRU with 35's. we have been rock crawling together and he hasn't had any issues.
The reason 4wp wants to sell you the RE lift is because their parent company owns it. I have on my TJ a Rubicon express 5.5 HD LA. Except for snapping a bolt off of the rear upper control arm it works fantastic.

Rottenbigdogs 05-19-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbob (Post 3771430)
Ok checked with my buddy he has a Rubicon Express 3.5 on his JKRU with 35's. we have been rock crawling together and he hasn't had any issues.
The reason 4wp wants to sell you the RE lift is because their parent company owns it. I have on my TJ a Rubicon express 5.5 HD LA. Except for snapping a bolt off of the rear upper control arm it works fantastic.

Thank you I am glade to hear that you all have had no problems IF I end up going that way


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.