Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Squeak's like crazy after new suspension lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/squeaks-like-crazy-after-new-suspension-lift-243663.html)

shadowglenn 05-19-2013 01:38 PM

Squeak's like crazy after new suspension lift

Had a 2.5" Rough Country suspension lift installed on my 2012 2 door Sahara a few weeks ago and the rear is so creaky squeaky it is embarrassing. I took it back to the shop that installed it and they said next week they will try to get it in and look. this lift was the shocks, spacers not the springs. It seems to be worse when the air is cold or damp, but it is always there. any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated or a redirection to current post. I did not find much in the search.

Thanks

Dave

TrueBlueJK 05-19-2013 01:46 PM

I wonder if they torqued the bolts with the suspension under load or just tightened everything down while the jeep was on the lift.

shadowglenn 05-19-2013 04:01 PM

I will quiz them on that next week so maybe they should loosen and re torque on the ground I can hardly stand to drive it, it is so bad

NFRs2000NYC 05-19-2013 04:08 PM

Some creaking is normal as your control arms store torque in them and the creak is them releasing the torque. Like TrueBlueJK said, if they tightened the bolts before the suspension was under load it will creak more. SOME is normal.

Before anyone thinks Im crazy, Im looking for the video that shows this exact thing. It's a diesel JK that has so much tq, that when he revs a bit standing still and stomps on the brakes, the Jeep literally rises 3".

dwindeck 05-19-2013 08:30 PM

I respectfully disagree. There shouldn't be any noise like described. Factory arms and coils should = silence.

Brewbek 05-19-2013 08:39 PM

^^^ x2

NFRs2000NYC 05-19-2013 08:45 PM

Sorry, I misread the OP. For instance, when I put my rig in reverse, but keep the brakes on, some torque will build up in the suspension. When I SLOWLY release the brakes, I will get some minor groans (not squeeks...a low pitch sound like metal expanding/contracting.) I have heard other peoples rigs do this offroad as well. If it's creakin and crackin while just driving, then THATs not normal.

SuicideSaints 05-19-2013 08:51 PM

+1 on them tightening it on the lift. This happened to a mountain edition I saw at 4 wheel performance.

DallasJKU 05-19-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwindeck (Post 3772498)
I respectfully disagree. There shouldn't be any noise like described. Factory arms and coils should = silence.

Constant creaking would be unacceptable, but the occasional one that can be tracked down is ok. My rear was creaking after install and it was the u-bolts. They are notorious for coming loose.

DallasJKU 05-19-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3772559)
Sorry, I misread the OP. For instance, when I put my rig in reverse, but keep the brakes on, some torque will build up in the suspension. When I SLOWLY release the brakes, I will get some minor groans (not squeeks...a low pitch sound like metal expanding/contracting.) I have heard other peoples rigs do this offroad as well. If it's creakin and crackin while just driving, then THATs not normal.

That part is the brakes right?? Because mine did that from day 1.

NFRs2000NYC 05-19-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasJKU (Post 3772672)
That part is the brakes right?? Because mine did that from day 1.

Braking causes it, but it's not the brakes groaning, it's the suspension (loading and unloading.)

NFRs2000NYC 05-19-2013 09:41 PM

Finally found the video....this is an EXTREMELY steroid injected example of what happens to a stock JK...the torque builds up in the suspension when the brakes are applied and when released, the torque is released as well.

JEEPYARD 4BT DIESEL TORQUE - YouTube