Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Is a lift really needed? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/is-a-lift-really-needed-243680.html)

davidzimagery 05-19-2013 03:06 PM

Is a lift really needed?

As I described in my "Gotta keep it now" post, my 98 TJ is getting reframed. It needs shocks and an exhaust too, so now is the time to do those. I was considering a 2.5 OME lift kit. But even though that seems to be a highly regarded set up, I'm wondering if the cost and possible issues a lift can cause is worth it. I run 31 tires with 1.5 spacers and have no rubbing problems. Since I'm a casual off roader, I don't need any extreme clearances. We're in our 60s and my short wife already struggles a little getting in. I think it looks pretty good, but I'm sure it will look better lifted a little. It's never been an issue with my off road experience. So I'm looking for a good reason to do a lift and anything other than a stock exhaust replacement. This frame thing really obliterated my budget and I'm hoping to get minor body rust problems fixed too, which I think is an important thing to address while minor.

sinbob 05-19-2013 03:18 PM

If you go to bigger tires you will need a lift.

I have a 5.5 LA, a 1.75 BL with 35's and I still rub the tires into the fenders at flex. But, I do some serious trails in order to get to those high mountain fishing areas. I got the wifey is hooked on fishing:D so I can wheel:dance: We are both turning 60 this year and my wifey is only 5'3":flowers: justs gives me a reason to grab her @@@ as I help her into the jeep:punk:

davidzimagery 05-19-2013 04:53 PM

I've never rubbed with the 31s and past the point of thinking I need to go bigger. If I was in Colorado, California or some other rugged region it would be another story. Illinois/Wisconsin aren't all that rugged. I'd need a fuel truck to tag along if I drove it to the mountains. I'm usually sitting in the Jeep waiting for her to get ready to go, so the most I do, is "hold" her hand and pull her in...LOL.

JeepnJim 05-19-2013 09:01 PM

The Jeeps of WWII weren't lifted and they proved to be very capable. Just try to stick to trails that are reasonable for your Jeep and your skills.

Wattapunk 05-20-2013 07:04 AM

You pretty much answered your own question in your post. You stated reasons why not to lift it. Wife having difficulty with stock height, never been an issue offroad, and other frame issues being addressed. You really don't need a lift or spacers to run 31's.

marrk_us 05-20-2013 09:52 AM

If you do decide to do a lift OME is probably the best choice for you. I'm in my 50's and have some minor back issues from riding dirt bikes since childhood (still ride:thumb:). I put the OME lift on about 140,000 mile ago because of their rep for ride quality, and the ride is much better and easier on my back than stock. Along with some quality heated corbeau seats (more for back muscles then for the cold) my tj will keep me on the trails and comfy into my golden years. Since your trails aren't that rough maybe a pair of factory side steps or aftermarket bars with built in step will help the wife.

davidzimagery 05-20-2013 10:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

davidzimagery 05-20-2013 07:41 PM

Leaving well enough alone

1 Attachment(s)
Talked to Dirk at DPG Off Road about the OME 2.5 lift kit. It seems that the kit is just the beginning of the parts I'd need. I've got other issues than a lift for looks, so it's no springs and new standard length shocks. Attachment 251684

97flexy 05-20-2013 11:42 PM

you shouldn't need a lift for 31s. I only have a 1.25" BL to clear my 35s and I don't hit on anything, it all depends how you set it up.

Wattapunk 05-21-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97flexy (Post 3776935)
you shouldn't need a lift for 31s. I only have a 1.25" BL to clear my 35s and I don't hit on anything, it all depends how you set it up.

lol, for jeep newbies reading 97flexy's response, please check out his build before you jack up your jeep, install a 1.25" JKS BL, put 35's on then lower the Jeep and wonder why you can't drive out of your driveway.