Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Have 2011 auto. Order a 2013/14 6 spd.? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/have-2011-auto-order-a-2013-14-6-spd-243693.html)

paullgj 05-19-2013 03:59 PM

Have 2011 auto. Order a 2013/14 6 spd.?

In the end, this is my decision, financial and otherwise. I have a 2011 JK 2 dr. sport auto., hard top, brilliant burnt orange metallic color. I've come to the conclusion that while an excellent vehicle for rocky trail articulation, I don't think it's a good candidate for a build. It has the 3.73 rear axle but I don't think the auto/3.8 combo is a good candidate for larger, heavier tires. That said I like the vehicle and I'm going to stay with it. FWIW I've been driving stick shift since I was 16; this is one of the few automatics I've ever owned.

I also have a 2004 Silverado K1500 V-8 5 spd., 100,000 miles. Sink $4,000-5,000 into it (tires, new brakes, engine tune, driveline, clutch, etc) or just sell it and order a 201314 Sport with a 6 spd. and a soft top. Either choice is a luxury, I'm not flush with cash, and I'm near retirement. If I go with the Sport, the first thing I'll do is change out the shocks and add some Nitto Trail MT tires.

Any input or comments will be greatly appreciate.

xcoaste 05-19-2013 06:57 PM

Why not get rid of both and get the '13?

paullgj 05-19-2013 08:57 PM

Build the Silverado or get new 6 spd Wrangler

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcoaste (Post 3772123)

Well, maybe. If I trade/sell them both, then we're talking Rubicon. Both my present vehicles, the Sport and the Chevy, are very good machines. It comes down to whether I want to spend the $$$ making them into trail machines, or getting something new, already done.

For my 2011 Sport it will involve lockers F&R plus adding an auxiliary trans cooler, for the Silverado, while not a frame-off, there's a lot of stuff that has to be done to it.

Thanks for answering. I'm still running the tally sheet on how much each option, then the long-term possible savings of a new vehicle, ordered exactly how I want it.

traitor08 05-19-2013 09:56 PM

If I were in your shoes.

It would be nice to have a 2nd jeep. One for dd, and one for a bad a** weekend ride and trail ride. Also if I was going to get one I would wait for confirmation on 14 colors. If yoh like one of them better go for it, if not get a 13 color you like. There are several 13 colors not available now. I can't remember all, but dozer and gecko are 2 of them.

BeyondYourFrontDoor 05-19-2013 09:59 PM

A Rubicon is certainly the easy way to go if you are looking for locking diffs and such... I have a 6 speed JKUR, 2.5 lift and 35's... My next Jeep will be an auto. I do too much slow stuff on rocky trails and the 6 speed is not the right setup for that kind of crawling...

jk'n 05-19-2013 10:21 PM

The type of transmission is definitely a personal choice call. Crawling can be done effectively in either. If you don't like shifting get the auto. I like the control of the manual especially descending steeps crawling.

I have two Rubicons and love them both. Both are standards. I'm not a major wrench turner and I like how the Rubicon is set up. I'll do a repair but regearing or adding lockers just isn't what I want to spend time doing. There is a lot to be said for just getting in and driving. I've added a winch to the four door. The drive train and frame is all stock and I am happy with it for what I do with it. Five years of bliss.

paullgj 05-25-2013 05:24 PM

2 for 1 might make some sense!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcoaste (Post 3772123)

Sat down and did the math - assuming new 2014 Rubicon will cost $34,000, trading/selling my 2011 and Silverado for Rubicon will end up costing me $2,000 more vs. modifying my current JK and doing some work on the Chevy. And that $2,000 differential evaporates when we figure insurance and maintenance for one vehicle is a whole lot less than for two. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm leaning to getting a new Rubicon. Of course this means giving up the SWB Silverado which is a sweet vehicle, great on the flats/sand and such, but I don't trust those CV shafts on steep rocky mountain trails.

paullgj 05-25-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 3772982)
The type of transmission is definitely a personal choice call. Crawling can be done effectively in either. If you don't like shifting get the auto. I like the control of the manual especially descending steeps crawling.

I have two Rubicons and love them both. Both are standards. I'm not a major wrench turner and I like how the Rubicon is set up. I'll do a repair but regearing or adding lockers just isn't what I want to spend time doing. There is a lot to be said for just getting in and driving. I've added a winch to the four door. The drive train and frame is all stock and I am happy with it for what I do with it. Five years of bliss.

jk'n - thanks for the reply. I'm very closely following the current thread on the 6 spd and problems. As I just posted, it almost makes economic sense to trade/sell my two current vehicles and move to a Rubicon 6 spd for retirement. Overall I'm still in reasonable physical shape, but my hands and fingers are no longer in condition to do a lot of mechanical work on my own vehicle.

jk'n 05-25-2013 05:56 PM

^^ I'm 55 and slowing down a bit too. I have done some wrenching on my jeep recently replacing the passenger side axle seal and bearing in the rear. I try to work smart using things like a breaker bar with extended handle to break nuts and bolts loose. I'll do that kind of thing but wouldn't want to re-gear or add lockers when you can buy it like that. Most people don't have access to welding equipment including myself so that type of mod is out as well. I may get a small welder to do panel welding on my son's '92. That type of work is mostly for the purpose of hobby...just because I enjoy figuring things like that out. In retirement, I will have more time to experiment with that stuff. That should be in about 5 years.