Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Engine bracket bolts broke (again) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/engine-bracket-bolts-broke-again-243840.html)

slayer74 05-20-2013 08:26 AM

Engine bracket bolts broke (again)

I'm wondering if anyone can help to shed some light on what is now a reoccuring issue I'm having.

06 X with the 4.0, no lift. About 5 weeks ago the kids and I were running through our woods and hit a pretty serious bump. The shifter kicked way over to the left. Came to find out that the driver side engine bracket bolts had sheared.

Replaced the bolts with OEM ones I got from the local Dodge / Jeep dealership. I also went ahead and put in another driver side rubber motor mount.

Last night, we were heading up a muddy road that was a bit washboarded. Never got above 15mph and road in 4WH due to it being a pretty steep and slick grade in spots. Shifter kicked way over to the left again and the bolts had sheared off at the block. Driver side again.

Limped it home 22 miles at 30 mph and parked it. As a short term fix, I'm going to replace the bolts again on the driver side but also gonna replace them on the right side for fear they got stressed after the long canted over ride to the house. As a long term fix, I'm gonna put Brown Dog's on the Jeep and be done with it.

Anyone know what causes this?

UnlimitedLJ04 05-20-2013 08:33 AM

Apparently it's a design flaw some have seen with the motor mounts. The drivers side is the weakest due to engine torque.

You need these:
S2883-PHW, Pair 4.0L Header Super Engine Bracket for TJ and LJ

and replace the OEM motor mounts with Brown Dog rubber mounts. Good time to do a BL/MML if you were planning on that at some point.

Around here, you find ripped OEM motor mounts on the trail sides quite a bit. Mostly ripped rubber, not so much shearing off the block tho. People end up having to leave the vehicle and do a trail repair later.

slayer74 05-20-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3773947)
You need these:
S2883-PHW, Pair 4.0L Header Super Engine Bracket for TJ and LJ

and replace the OEM motor mounts with Brown Dog rubber mounts. Good time to do a BL/MML if you were planning on that at some point.

That's exactly the ones I'm looking at. Just cash strapped right this second. Would you go back with rubber mounts of polyurethane mounts? I did out on a poly transmission mount at the same time I replaced the motor mount. What drawbacks do you see?

Thanks for the info!

Jerry Bransford 05-20-2013 09:00 AM

Go with rubber mounts, Brown Dog and M.O.R.E. make them, they isolate engine vibrations from the frame & passenger compartment. Polyurethane mounts readily transmit engine & transmission vibrations.

UnlimitedLJ04 05-20-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slayer74 (Post 3773991)
That's exactly the ones I'm looking at. Just cash strapped right this second. Would you go back with rubber mounts of polyurethane mounts? I did out on a poly transmission mount at the same time I replaced the motor mount. What drawbacks do you see?

Thanks for the info!

stick with all rubber or all poly.

slayer74 05-20-2013 09:26 AM

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice guys.