Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   EF5 Tornado wiping out Oklahoma (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/ef5-tornado-wiping-out-oklahoma-243952.html)

Old Dogger 05-20-2013 04:09 PM

EF5 Tornado wiping out Oklahoma

It's breaking news on all of the stations.
EF5, 2 miles wide and has stayed on the ground for approx. 45 minutes.
They are saying that this maybe the worst Tornado ever recorded.

YES, THIS IS ONLY RELATED TO OUR WRANGLERS IF WE ARE DRIVING INTO IT.:hide:

Hokieneer 05-20-2013 04:24 PM

My prayers go out to everyone in that area I can't even imagine, stay safe!

Miser 05-20-2013 04:32 PM

I was just watching it in Fox News, it has to be the worst that I have ever seen. I was in a tornado many years ago, but nothing like what they are showing!

I wonder if we have any Forum Members, that live in this dangerous storm area?

Abnormal-JK 05-20-2013 04:35 PM

Prayers going up~

Billy Baldone 05-20-2013 04:40 PM

Holy crap, on the ground for an hour almost a mile wide. Unbelievable.

DFW6ER 05-20-2013 04:52 PM

Just read it hit an elementary school. In Moore, which is where that May 4th tornado hit back in the late 90s

Thorshammer7 05-20-2013 05:01 PM

Prayers sent.

legitposter 05-20-2013 05:03 PM

:surrender: <--- Oklahoma

Abnormal-JK 05-20-2013 05:05 PM

They just reported it at 190 MPH... holy *&^%

laollis 05-20-2013 05:10 PM

Sad. Still pulling kids out.

Senior Chief 05-20-2013 06:04 PM

Damn

BlueRidgeYJ 05-20-2013 06:46 PM

Absolutely devastating; I've never heard of a tornado so fierce.

God be with Oklahoma, all her children, and all who respond to help.

Carlsbad0331 05-20-2013 07:25 PM

A group from San Diego associated with "Team Amber Rescue" is headed out tomorrow with cadaver dogs... Im on the second string list of volunteers to go. They have already categorized most of the area as Search and Recovery...

06 Red Rubicon 05-20-2013 08:38 PM

I bought my 06 in Moore about 3 years ago :( I hope the fatality rate stops and the good news starts increasing

Old Dogger 05-20-2013 08:45 PM

The latest death toll is 56, of which 24 were children! Another two dozen children are still missing.
All we can do is pray for them and their families!

To put it into perspective, they all got up this morning, just like we did. They planned their day, and now they are all gone! There are no guarantee's in life! What's even sadder is that the children were just starting their lives....

Pennsyman 05-20-2013 09:22 PM

So tragic...thoughts and prayers to those in OK.....can't even imagine winds of that power and devastation.

jeepers29 05-20-2013 09:31 PM

All of you in OK, and family friends of those affected, we are thinking about you here in Texas.

Lusus_Naturae 05-21-2013 03:50 AM

Here's my thread to add to this - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/than...ge-244047.html

I usually work nights so I can't sleep even if I want to. I will be going out again later today too. We still have search and rescue finishing Plaza Tower school, last I heard, they are going to continue to work it until they have everyone accounted for. There's just so much, and so little at the same time.

A lot of the clean up/search efforts are on hold until sunrise again. It's a mess, there's so much debris and little stuff everywhere. The amount of stuff you have to drive over to get anywhere.

Don't get hung up on death counts yet, they are going to go up and down for the next few days until it gets sorted out. There are a lot though, right now they are confirming 51 dead, of those dead, 20 are children. There have been 45 children transported to hospitals with injuries. They were saying they expected 40 more to be added to the dead count soon, I don't know who or where these people came from, it was called in as we were leaving the Home Depot in Moore.

Home Depot has been made into it's own city down there. They had the generators running, and a food truck was cooking for search and rescue, volunteers, etc. There is a lot of people out helping, and they are switching them out in shifts - one reason we came home. The worst area is from the Orr Family Farm - it's a teaching farm or exploration farm for families - to the Warren Theatre. Tower Plaza School is between here too.

Lots and lots of military are out there too - too many to name, from all branches. Many fire departments are out there, police, search and rescue teams - again, too many to name but I saw people form near and far - the furthest was Altus.

If you want to help, please find a reputable charity to donate to. If you are local to OKC - News 9 is taking donations of any type, food, water, supplies, at their station on north Britton. For info - Oklahoma's Own - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I want to go to sleep for a few hours but I just can't sleep now. I guess I'm going to repack my gear and get ready for daylight.

Lusus_Naturae 05-21-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW6ER (Post 3775446)
Just read it hit an elementary school. In Moore, which is where that May 4th tornado hit back in the late 90s

May 3, 1999 - this one is looking worse, it was wider on the ground.

Miser 05-21-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 3777274)
Here's my thread to add to this - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/than...ge-244047.html

I usually work nights so I can't sleep even if I want to. I will be going out again later today too. We still have search and rescue finishing Plaza Tower school, last I heard, they are going to continue to work it until they have everyone accounted for. There's just so much, and so little at the same time.

A lot of the clean up/search efforts are on hold until sunrise again. It's a mess, there's so much debris and little stuff everywhere. The amount of stuff you have to drive over to get anywhere.

Don't get hung up on death counts yet, they are going to go up and down for the next few days until it gets sorted out. There are a lot though, right now they are confirming 51 dead, of those dead, 20 are children. There have been 45 children transported to hospitals with injuries. They were saying they expected 40 more to be added to the dead count soon, I don't know who or where these people came from, it was called in as we were leaving the Home Depot in Moore.

Home Depot has been made into it's own city down there. They had the generators running, and a food truck was cooking for search and rescue, volunteers, etc. There is a lot of people out helping, and they are switching them out in shifts - one reason we came home. The worst area is from the Orr Family Farm - it's a teaching farm or exploration farm for families - to the Warren Theatre. Tower Plaza School is between here too.

Lots and lots of military are out there too - too many to name, from all branches. Many fire departments are out there, police, search and rescue teams - again, too many to name but I saw people form near and far - the furthest was Altus.

If you want to help, please find a reputable charity to donate to. If you are local to OKC - News 9 is taking donations of any type, food, water, supplies, at their station on north Britton. For info - Oklahoma's Own - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I want to go to sleep for a few hours but I just can't sleep now. I guess I'm going to repack my gear and get ready for daylight.

Thank you for the update?

1jeeplvr 05-21-2013 05:19 PM

Are storms of this magnitude becoming more common or what??

dylan1991 05-21-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3779189)
Are storms of this magnitude becoming more common or what??

Definitely not. However there have been quite a few EF5's the last few years. There has always been tornado this strong. As cities and towns continue to expand the targets get bigger and easier for a tornado to hit. It also seems worse because there was an idled drought of EF5 tornadoes between the Greensburg, KS tornado in 2007 and the Joplin tornado in 2011. If I recall corectly, the last EF5 before the 2007 tornado was the OKC tornado of '99. So not more common. Just more area for them to hit. And the fact that there was a long drought of EF5's makes it seem like there's been an abnormal amount of them.

BlueRidgeYJ 05-21-2013 08:36 PM

The stories of the teachers at Plaza Towers Elememtary are simply amazing. They piled most of the students into bathrooms, then covered them with their own bodies. The roof was ripped off, and they held strong. The decision to not trust the hallway was a very good one.

Attachment 252060

3 students were found underneath a car, similar to the one above, in the hallway. Their teacher had them huddled underneath herself, allowing them all to survive.

Attachment 252068

She is Rhonda Crosswhite, one of the teachers at Plaza Towers that sheltered children in the bathroom. Starting salary of a teacher at Plaza Towers? 31,600$. Amazing.