Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Key Replication (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-key-replication-244036.html)

mlgary 05-20-2013 10:53 PM

2012 Key Replication

I've lost one of my keys to my 2012 Wrangler Unlimited. Can anyone advise on the cheapest way to get a spare key made?

ckamin 05-20-2013 11:30 PM

Damn, I'm in the same boat! I lost my keys today at magic mountain. I posted the same question and am trying to figure out where to get an affordable chipped replacement and a procedure to program it.

Blastek 05-21-2013 12:36 AM

get a chipped Jeep key cut and program it with your other key using the following procedure:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 3062973)
Customer Key Programming
If you have two valid Sentry Keys, you can program
new Sentry Keys to the system by performing the
following procedure:

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s)
to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn
the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position for at least
three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Then, turn
the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the
first key.

3. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within
15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound. In
addition, the Vehicle Security Light will begin to flash.
Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and
remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within
60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound.
In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing.
To indicate that programming is complete, the Vehicle
Security Light will turn on again for three seconds and
then turn off.

The new Sentry Key is programmed. The Remote
Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter will also be programmed
during this procedure.

If you don't have two keys, it's dealer time.

mlgary 05-21-2013 08:25 AM

Thank you very much!! Now a second dumb question.....

Where can I purchase the chipped key? Pep Boys? Auto Zone etc?

3JKs1H1 05-21-2013 09:29 AM

Here: $14.49 delivered.

You need two working keys to make a third, best to make up a few when you buy your Jeep.

Happy515Camper 05-21-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3JKs1H1 (Post 3777836)
Here: $14.49 delivered.

You need two working keys to make a third, best to make up a few when you buy your Jeep.

Do you mean to say that you sell them?
David

tontwins 05-21-2013 11:21 PM

I went to lowes it was 2.93

tontwins 05-21-2013 11:22 PM

i guess mine doesn't have a chip sorry it's a 2013 though

Happy515Camper 05-22-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tontwins (Post 3780425)
i guess mine doesn't have a chip sorry it's a 2013 though

So the key you had made at Lowes works? I have a 2013 also.
David

Captain Ed 07-04-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 3777061)
get a chipped Jeep key cut and program it with your other key using the following procedure:

If you don't have two keys, it's dealer time.

Does this work for the 2013??

I swung a deal with my dealer that I was to get a Sentry Key (chipped) along with my missing at delivery second factory key. I have power locks on the fob. Since they had to order a new key the dealer said that they will cut and program them all at once this week. Came to find out the when my wife made the appointment they said that they cant program a seperate sentry key for this vehicle. Its a 2013 Wrangler 2 dr Freedom Edition. What gives? I found out last night after the dealer was closed and they are closed for the 4th. I am kind of mad right now. I would like a 3rd key for many reasons. Thanks for any help

Mabar 11-15-2013 08:39 AM

Update: Inexpensive Chip Keys

This place has inexpensive transponder chip keys for 2007 through 2014 Wranglers

Transponder Chip Keys Made in the USA, for Jeep JK Wranglers

Mabar

Gort 11-15-2013 09:48 AM

I'm one of those people that always likes to have a third key locked away in case I ever need it (like to program another one after I lose a key, because I'll still have two keys). Both of my Wranglers have the integrated key/fob (aka the "pocket spear") and one has remote start.

For both of them I managed to convinced the dealership to throw in an extra key blank as part of the purchase, then had the parts guys cut them for me for nothing on their key-cutter (I buy my filters/repair parts/accessories from them, so they owe me a few).

I then programmed the keys myself using the method mentioned earlier in this thread.

If memory serves, the price of a blank key/fob from Chrysler is north of 100 dollars -- I've always thought that this was an outrageous price, but since the dealership threw them in as part of the sale, I never really explored the aftermarket alternatives. Can anyone comment on the quality of the non-Chrysler keys?

5JKs 11-15-2013 10:30 AM

The aftermarket keys are fine. I've programmed 2 spares for the 6 JKus I've bought. I've also made copies for the other Dodges I own. Remember, you need two keys to program a third, so you need to do this before you lose your second key.

Mabar 11-15-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gort (Post 6144938)

I never really explored the aftermarket alternatives. Can anyone comment on the quality of the non-Chrysler keys?

There are aftermarket transponder chip key blanks available for the 2007 through 2014 Wranglers. Most are OK, but....

I have heard that there are some known "issues" with the imported chip keys. The made in USA, key blanks are usually higher quality, and to my knowledge, there are no "issues" with them.

Google: "made in usa transponder key jk wrangler" and lots of choices will come up.

Mabar