Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Stock or New Receiver Advice?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/stock-or-new-receiver-advice-244135.html)

Aztecv23 05-21-2013 01:17 PM

Stock or New Receiver Advice??

What do you think is better to upgrade the stock with the MOPARŪ UConnect Phone Kit with iPod Integration or buy a new receiver?

Pros? Cons?
:angel:

CoreyZ 05-22-2013 08:54 AM

Depends on what your goals are.

Stock system is fine if you are ok with it. If you find it weak and doesnt fit your needs in some way, you have to start thinking of the path you want to go and how much money you want to spend. Also depends on if you have the premium sound, not so much the uconnect. If you replace the head unit..uconnect wont work regardless.

wassup8687 05-22-2013 09:37 AM

New receiver all the way. Aftermarket receivers sound so much better and cleaner.

You can still have your steering wheel controls and USB connection, GPS, SD card slot for MP3's, DVD player, Sirius, etc.

My new JVC unit blows away the stock receiver.

pooneej 05-22-2013 01:50 PM

I had planned on using the stock head unit and putting an audiocontrol LC6i / LC8i in to hook to new amp.

A new kenwood DPX300U head unit was only $135. cheaper than the Audiocontrol line out converter. Plus it had more features than my stock unit so I am planning on that now. Its a basic head unit but kind of nice for the price.

I would still need to get the steering wheel controls, wiring harness etc but probably just slightly over $200 with all that.

CoreyZ 05-22-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooneej (Post 3782254)
I had planned on using the stock head unit and putting an audiocontrol LC6i / LC8i in to hook to new amp.

A new kenwood DPX300U head unit was only $135. cheaper than the Audiocontrol line out converter. Plus it had more features than my stock unit so I am planning on that now. Its a basic head unit but kind of nice for the price.

I would still need to get the steering wheel controls, wiring harness etc but probably just slightly over $200 with all that.

Eh... you would be surprised at how expensive the harnesses are for these jeeps. Mine was $130 just because I had the premium system, even though I tore it all out and wasnt using it. Real freakin ripoff. And that is even without retaining steering wheel controls!

Mattk11 05-23-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyZ (Post 3782343)

Eh... you would be surprised at how expensive the harnesses are for these jeeps. Mine was $130 just because I had the premium system, even though I tore it all out and wasnt using it. Real freakin ripoff. And that is even without retaining steering wheel controls!

If you order your aftermarket head unit from a major online retailer that starts with a C and ends in field, the PAC harness is half price, or you can usually find them in eBay for $70. It will retain steering wheel controls, give you a reverse wire if you are running a cam and keep the CanBus happy.

CoreyZ 05-23-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk11 (Post 3784605)
If you order your aftermarket head unit from a major online retailer that starts with a C and ends in field, the PAC harness is half price, or you can usually find them in eBay for $70. It will retain steering wheel controls, give you a reverse wire if you are running a cam and keep the CanBus happy.

Yup... but I saved $30 by buying mine through a different vender and ordered the harness through another (its not the same as the PAC or Axxesss due to the head unit). Then when I recieved it, I decided on not using it and returned the harness, which then meant I had to buy one... and started out with the low end $20 harness that didnt work and returned it as well for the $130 one. Had the original one I was getting had the actual harness connector for the Jeep and I didnt have to splice, I would have just kept it.

Mattk11 05-23-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyZ (Post 3785942)

Yup... but I saved $30 by buying mine through a different vender and ordered the harness through another (its not the same as the PAC or Axxesss due to the head unit). Then when I recieved it, I decided on not using it and returned the harness, which then meant I had to buy one... and started out with the low end $20 harness that didnt work and returned it as well for the $130 one. Had the original one I was getting had the actual harness connector for the Jeep and I didnt have to splice, I would have just kept it.

Dang, what??

CoreyZ 05-24-2013 12:02 PM

The head unit I bought (Parrot Asteroid Smart) does not take the standard PAC/Axxess inputs for steering wheel controls. Its a different connector entirely so they kind of force you to use their "Unika" brand harness. Problem with that is that it does not plug into the stock harness, you have to splice. And in doing so, its hard as hell to figure out if you have the correct wires and settings. It was $100 but I returned it. THen found out in order to just have the plug in harness so I could plug in the head unit (minus the steering wheel controls), the harness was $130.