Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Ball Hitch, but you never tow? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ball-hitch-but-you-never-tow-244178.html)

MangoTango34 05-21-2013 04:30 PM

Ball Hitch, but you never tow?

I gotta know, am I the only one who put a ball hitch on my Jeep for the only purpose that if someone tries to rear-end me, their car gets f-ed up and my Jeep wont have a scratch?

yellowtailfan 05-21-2013 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a ball hitch, actually tow a 5 x 10 trailer at my hunting lease for various small jobs to prep the lease.

To your point, someone did rear end me. Did i mention i keep the ball hitch locked in at all times??? Well, suffice it to say your theory is indeed a reality. Jacked their car up and mine had zero damage. :)

Attachment 251995

panthermark 05-21-2013 04:36 PM

I've thought about it...but it might be illegal in some states depending on the length of the hitch. A bill was floated in Illinois about it (hitch over 4 inches), but I don't think the law passed.

MangoTango34 05-21-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtailfan (Post 3779056)
I have a ball hitch, actually tow a 5 x 10 trailer at my hunting lease for various small jobs to prep the lease.

To your point, someone did rear end me. Did i mention i keep the ball hitch locked in at all times??? Well, suffice it to say your theory is indeed a reality. Jacked their car up and mine had zero damage. :)

Attachment 251995

Nice! My dad got rear ended by some lady in her 05 Buick. My dad was in his Sierra and she slammed on the brakes a little late, her car nose dove and the hitch popped her radiator and messed up the pulleys i tink. Pretty much totaled her car and only had to pop some plastic back in on his bumper.

By the way, love the wheel/tire set up!

enjerhoo 05-21-2013 05:20 PM

Mine's on & does not come off, but I pull a double axle trailer somewhat regularly.

If someone is close enough to run into the hitch, they were driving too close to begin with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3779060)
I've thought about it...but it might be illegal in some states depending on the length of the hitch. A bill was floated in Illinois about it (hitch over 4 inches), but I don't think the law passed.

nor should it have. That's another stupid government overreaching law. What's next - nothing larger than a 31x10.50R15 to improve a small population's (misguided) need for a feeling of (false) safety? :banghead:

Sorry for the rant but at least I stopped myself before starting on the rest of the stupid overreaching Big Brother style government laws for takeover of the thought processes and....

sinbob 05-21-2013 05:31 PM

I keep mine on just for that reason....6" drop down hitch. The only time I take it off is when I am wheeling.

Silverton34 05-21-2013 05:46 PM

I hit a pickup several years ago that had left the ball and mount in the receiver. Jacked his frame really bad as there was nothing to absorb the impact and he got a faulty equipment ticket for leaving it in the receiver. His insurance fixed my truck and paid for a rental car for me. All this and in reality the accident was really my fault.

JEEPbug 05-21-2013 05:55 PM

Since we are talking hitches, is anyone using a drop down for stock height? I got my 2010 JKU Sahara in Jan and this weekend will be its first tow of my fishing boat. Would like to know if my standard receiver will work or should I use a drop down. Thanks to any and all!

TrueNorth 05-21-2013 06:10 PM

Class 7 military surplus pintle hitch. Solid steel heavy sob, spare tire barely clears it.

Never tow, just use it for the 40 lbs of dead weight behind the rear axle when I want it.
Icy roads, top off and back seat out, etc.

robdizzle 05-21-2013 06:14 PM

I always leave mine on because I've been rear ended a couple of times and its saved my bumper.

nycenglish 05-21-2013 06:30 PM

I don't keep a ball hitch permanently mounted, instead I have this:

Amazon.com: Bully BBS-1104L Black Bull Series LED Hitch Step: Automotive

It doubles as a step, has an LED light (which I try to convince myself is added safety in poor conditions), and should provide some extra protection.

jkjeeper06 05-21-2013 06:55 PM

It's illegal to leave the hitch in in the glorious state of mass. That said mine stays in for a while after I disconnect the hitch, mainly because I'm too lazy to take it off/don't have room in the floor compartment to store it. It won't make you at fault for an accident, as stated above, but you can get a ticket in addition in the accident in mass. Other states are be different

MangoTango34 05-21-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3779434)
It's illegal to leave the hitch in in the glorious state of mass. That said mine stays in for a while after I disconnect the hitch, mainly because I'm too lazy to take it off/don't have room in the floor compartment to store it. It won't make you at fault for an accident, as stated above, but you can get a ticket in addition in the accident in mass. Other states are be different

where do i go to find out if it is illegal?

laollis 05-21-2013 08:40 PM

I have this and it sticks out under my tire: http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...5-19162711.jpg

Jaker jk 05-21-2013 09:30 PM

I don't use my ball unless I am towing , but I keep my hook in all the time execpt when I am towing or off road
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...psdfda6d4a.jpg

highwayman 05-21-2013 09:34 PM

Yep. But flipped around, so it tucks up under the spare. Keeps the spare from dragging on drop offs.

Bvh55 05-21-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoTango34 (Post 3779043)
I gotta know, am I the only one who put a ball hitch on my Jeep for the only purpose that if someone tries to rear-end me, their car gets f-ed up and my Jeep wont have a scratch?

Well, I didnt leave it in for that purpose, but it stays in full time and I don't tow anything. I think it looks good for whatever reason.

jkjeeper06 05-21-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoTango34 (Post 3779787)

where do i go to find out if it is illegal?

I just looked it up. No law about it being illegal in Kansas. In mass they really only bother you if it blocks any part of the plate. Lucky for jeeps, they are off center. I'd say you're fine running it. It's good for parking lot bumps. A major rear end, it won't save you, but parking lot bumps can be common, as unfortunate as it is

Barmanvarn 05-21-2013 10:08 PM

I keep mine on all the time. Only really use it in the summer to tow the jar ski.

I never know when I might need it and its not in the way so it just stays on. Remove it sometimes if I'm hitting the trails.

wassup8687 05-21-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPbug (Post 3779285)
Since we are talking hitches, is anyone using a drop down for stock height? I got my 2010 JKU Sahara in Jan and this weekend will be its first tow of my fishing boat. Would like to know if my standard receiver will work or should I use a drop down. Thanks to any and all!

You should check the height of your tongue and see how far off the ground to be level. You can then determine the drop you should have.

socal-jk 05-21-2013 10:58 PM

Generally. ... a bumper has some give. So if your jeep gets tapped on the back, the bumper will absorb some of the shock (OEM bumper) saving your frame. If you have a hitch in and it manaves to find something substantial in whatever hits you the load gets dispersed in a maner the hitch and frame weren't designed for. I've seen trucks totaled from frame damage from a hit on a drop hitch from the impact and leverage. Something to think about.

madeinhb 05-21-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoTango34 (Post 3779043)

I used to do the same thing until I actually was rear ended. The impact actually bent the frame the hitch was attached to, totally my car. So not so sure it's a good thing.

gsn 05-21-2013 11:27 PM

Bumpers with integrated hitch are probably better for this task. As they disperse the load across the frame rails and crossmember, in case of impact on the hitch.

And the stock rear bumper will not save any frame, it is made of pure plastic, and its hollow, not even solid plastic. You can put a dent on it by just kicking it.

socal-jk 05-21-2013 11:47 PM

A 15-20mph hit on a bare bumper will mean a new bumper bar, brackets and possibly a small pull on the table. Same hit on a drop hitch bolted to the frame of a truck does much more damage. Something has to give. A bumper (the stamped steel inner support) is designed to collapse and dissipate energy. A frame mounted hitch doesn't and will just transfer it until it finds a weakpoint somewhere. Like the old saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

gsn 05-21-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal-jk (Post 3780478)
A 15-20mph hit on a bare bumper will mean a new bumper bar, brackets and possibly a small pull on the table. Same hit on a drop hitch bolted to the frame of a truck does much more damage. Something has to give. A bumper (the stamped steel inner support) is designed to collapse and dissipate energy. A frame mounted hitch doesn't and will just transfer it until it finds a weakpoint somewhere. Like the old saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

At 20mph any object will surely crush the stock plastic bumper into the frame and will reach it quite easily. I managed to crush mine up to the crossmember by just reversing onto a wooden post. There is no steel inside the rear bumper. Only the front has a steel mini frame. The rear is pure hollow plastic.

And yes, a hitch attached to the crossmember will probably bend the crossmember, hence why I suggested bumpers with an integrated hitch as it is attached at 4+ points in the crossmember and 4+ points in the frame rails. Plus whatever meat the bumper has before reaching the frame.

socal-jk 05-22-2013 12:17 AM

So you mean to tell me behind all that plastic out back is just the rear tub and cross member? I guess the spare usually gets the brunt of it anyway. My rear is all chewed up frpm boulders and ledges but i never looked behind it. Every car I have ever seem has a reinforcement in there, save for a truck with a steel bumper....... I don't want to start throwing accusations. .... but I will go check mine. Maybe yours got left out haha. The Chevy dealer that was attached to our Porsche store (odd paring I know) we would get tahoes off the truck missing seats and trim, mismatched wheels, two different visors haha.

gsn 05-22-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal-jk (Post 3780535)
So you mean to tell me behind all that plastic out back is just the rear tub and cross member? I guess the spare usually gets the brunt of it anyway. My rear is all chewed up frpm boulders and ledges but i never looked behind it. Every car I have ever seem has a reinforcement in there, save for a truck with a steel bumper....... I don't want to start throwing accusations. .... but I will go check mine. Maybe yours got left out haha. The Chevy dealer that was attached to our Porsche store (odd paring I know) we would get tahoes off the truck missing seats and trim, mismatched wheels, two different visors haha.

I took mine off, I can lift it quite easily. My 25 pound barbell puts more weight on my arm than the bumper ever will. It probably weighs like 10-15 pounds at most. The only metal it has is the threaded holes where the bolts screw in. But there is no metal frame on the inside, just hollow plastic. Unlike the front bumper, which is much heavier than this one and actually has an inner steel frame.

suicideking 05-22-2013 12:46 AM

I use mine to tow a tent trailer. When not towing, I remove it.

However, I currently have a OEM rear bumper. I like to encourage people to rear end my Jeep so I can get a new bumper. :D

Bvh55 05-26-2013 10:40 PM

Lol, this thread freaked me out-I took mine out today!

LenaLuvsLife 05-27-2013 05:18 AM

My vote is for keeping the ball out when not needed. My hubby and I were just rear ended by a drunk driver doing 60mph. We had the ball in with a bike rack and two mountain bikes on it. He wasted the bikes and hit the hitch so hard his Pontiac Grand Am left a chunk out of the pavement. The hitch was pushed in causing frame, rear bed damage and tailgate damage. Then his front end wrapped around our rear tire and axle. Surprisingly the rear OEM bumper took the hit quite well. It flexed and had a slight dent/scratch. Very grateful we had all that behind us, including the spare tire. It was a cushion effect sort of.