Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   AC not blowing cold (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ac-not-blowing-cold-244180.html)

reissigree 05-21-2013 04:39 PM

AC not blowing cold
 
Here's a video of my clutch engaging and disengaging. Is this normal?
VID_20130318_205058.mp4 - YouTube

I charged the system with a can of refrigerant to no avail. What should my next steps be before taking it to the shop? I appreciate it!

kshaws21 05-21-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reissigree (Post 3779069)
Here's a video of my clutch engaging and disengaging. Is this normal?
VID_20130318_205058.mp4 - YouTube

I charged the system with a can of refrigerant to no avail. What should my next steps be before taking it to the shop? I appreciate it!

Next step? Take top off and say aaahhhh.

Heck my Jeep doesn't even have AC and believe me Georgia has some hot very humid summers and I don't miss AC at all.

flflash 05-21-2013 05:21 PM

I cant read your gauge in the video but normaly it should cycle the clutch at approx 15-20lbs with no hi pressure gauge theres no way to way to tell if your hi side pressures are to high.
Some things to look at?
Is your fan clutch working properly?
Do you have good air flow through the condensor? ( lay a shop rag agianst the condensor in front of the radiator it should stick there due to air flow )
With just a lo pressure gauge you cant tell if there's a restriction in the system or if it's still low on freon, if you can borrow one check the pressures on the high and low side. At 1500 rpm with airflow through the radiator and the AC fan on high the low side should be around 25-30 psi and the High side should be 200 and 250 psi. It varies with humidity and outside air temp.
If testing that way you have very low low pressure and very high high pressure you have a restriction.

flflash 05-21-2013 05:27 PM

Be careful AC systems work under high pressures and can hurt you plus escaping freon is so cold it can burn skin and destroy eyes.
If your not comfortable working with it it's best to pay a professional to diagnose and repair.

OhSixTJ 05-21-2013 05:32 PM

Looks like it's cycling too too frequently. That's assuming you have it on max with the doors open. If you do, you might be low on freon.

Redrider94 05-21-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhSixTJ (Post 3779231)
Looks like it's cycling too too frequently. That's assuming you have it on max with the doors open. If you do, you might be low on freon.

From looking at your gauge you are low on freon. You should stay in the green on the gauge with the compressor on, on your video as soon as the compressor kicks on the gauge drops into the yellow. When you have the proper amount of freon in the system the compressor will stay running and the gauge will read in the green with the compressor on.

Rubi513 05-24-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshaws21 (Post 3779108)
Next step? Take top off and say aaahhhh.

Heck my Jeep doesn't even have AC and believe me Georgia has some hot very humid summers and I don't miss AC at all.

Well I guess it you don't have it you can't miss it. I absolutely love my AC.:dance:

kshaws21 05-24-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3789071)

Well I guess it you don't have it you can't miss it. I absolutely love my AC.:dance:

I see your point, but if you are running AC, you prolly have doors and top on too most of that time. Unless its raining, my top is never up.

Rubi513 05-24-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshaws21 (Post 3789084)
I see your point, but if you are running AC, you prolly have doors and top on too most of that time. Unless its raining, my top is never up.

I like the top off when its not too hot, but come July it will be on. 100 degree weather and crazy high humidity sucks. AC makes it all better.:punk:

OhSixTJ 05-24-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshaws21 (Post 3789084)

I see your point, but if you are running AC, you prolly have doors and top on too most of that time. Unless its raining, my top is never up.

I don't know about you, but 110 is too damn hot to have the top off. I work outside for 10 hours each day. My top will only come off in the fall and "winter" down here. Or the occasional trip to the beach. To each their own ;)

kshaws21 05-24-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3789136)

I like the top off when its not too hot, but come July it will be on. 100 degree weather and crazy high humidity sucks. AC makes it all better.:punk:

Yeah, to each his own, but here in Ga we have 95-100 degree days with 80-90% humidity many days in the summer, but that is one of the main reasons I love having my top off. It's easier when your Jeep doesn't even have AC to learn to cope with it.

flflash 05-24-2013 02:36 PM

LOL, Here in Florida I drive around with the safari top on and the AC blowing wide open, best of both worlds I guess!

damndirtydog 05-24-2013 02:48 PM

It's not the heat in Florida, it's the 90+ % humidity that kills you. Even with the top and doors off and spidershade, you'll still sweat ur balls off.
I've heard it can take up to 3 cans of refrigerant to top off system.

reissigree 05-24-2013 03:40 PM

Alright well down here in Houston it's humid and hot as hell and I have to dress up for work.

flflash 05-24-2013 04:02 PM

All TJ's hold 1.6 lbs of R-134a Freon.

ChiliPep99 05-24-2013 04:40 PM

I agree that it looks like you're cycling too fast. That is typically caused by low freon level. Given the ac is a closed system that would mean a leak somewhere in the system. You can get a decent set of high and low pressure gauges from Harbor Freight for not a lot of money. That will help you diagnose your system. Good luck!

reissigree 05-26-2013 01:06 PM

I appreciate it!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.