Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Low Budget mods that can make a BIG difference (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/low-budget-mods-that-can-make-a-big-difference-244187.html)

nocibur2 05-21-2013 06:03 PM

Low Budget mods that can make a BIG difference
 
Hi there!

I'm simply looking for lower budget modifications that you've done to your JK that have made a big difference. I'm not picky either! It can be for appearance, performance, or functionality ... no matter which category it falls under POST IT UP.

I guess everyone might have a difference in opinion on what's considered low-budget, so lets just say around $150-$200 tops for your total cost of the mod. Lets see em!

:thumb:

alienature 05-21-2013 06:11 PM

real low budget a cushion for the arm rest. mine came with one from the PO but i think they're like 20-50$ depending on from where you get it.

BacaraJKU 05-21-2013 06:23 PM

I picked up grab handles since people actually seem to use them on the jeep. Getting in and out is much easier for the wifey.

I also just installed rugged ridge rubber mats. Doing my first big dune trip and figured this would help catch most of the foot traffic sand. Also good for beach/sand scenario when people jump in with wet/sandy feet.

LadyLetty 05-21-2013 06:24 PM

I am making grab handles with paracord. Also ordered new decals.

DarthGromit 05-21-2013 06:47 PM

Stickers, grab handles, short antennae, plasti dip would probably qualify, new mirrors once the doors come off, floor mats.

okstatemike 05-21-2013 06:47 PM

Agreed with Grab Handles, Decals and Floor Mats. If you do much driving at speed you should look into aftermarket Hood Latches to eliminate hood flutter. Rugged Ridge makes a very nice and extremely sturdy set for about $100 :thumb:

socal_rubi 05-21-2013 06:49 PM

CB and antenna.

GonzoBobH 05-21-2013 07:14 PM

Quick disconnects.

Hey, good answer or what... oh, too expensive?

jadmt 05-21-2013 07:15 PM

sway bar disconnects. YOu can simply just unbolt the stock ones when you need them disconnected or get some aftermarket ones. I paid $135 for some jks quicker disconnects.

GonzoBobH 05-21-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okstatemike (Post 3779267)
Agreed with Grab Handles, Decals and Floor Mats. If you do much driving at speed you should look into aftermarket Hood Latches to eliminate hood flutter. Rugged Ridge makes a very nice and extremely sturdy set for about $100 :thumb:

Try taking the spring out of the hood latch to stop the flutter. And it's free.

jadmt 05-21-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH (Post 3779327)
Quick disconnects.

Hey, good answer or what... oh, too expensive?

we were typing at the same time lol

GonzoBobH 05-21-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3779331)

we were typing at the same time lol

Great minds, and all that, haha.

Aeschylus 05-21-2013 08:04 PM

Welcome Distributing Grab Handles

DIY07 05-21-2013 09:39 PM

Here is my short list.
Stubby antenna
Grab handle
Floor mats
Spider Shades
Cargo net I got mine from jeepcargonets.com Well actually allthingsjeep.com but thought I should give the manufacture a shout out American made and cheaper than safari straps just under$200 for 3 piece
Cover for when hard top is off.....no garage
tire cover other than the one from the dealer or just remove all together.
Daystar leveling kit.
Cargo area mat DIY used rubber material that they sell at local farm supply store for stall mat.

LadyLetty 05-21-2013 09:42 PM

Where can I order a stubby antenna?

tg2684 05-21-2013 09:46 PM

Trim the fender flares - free
Take a 4x4 and cut it about 1" wide, wrap it in Velcro for padding and it makes a great tailgate stop when parked on a hill -
More Dead Pedal - this is one of my favorites - $50 I think

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4d043161.jpg
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps767f7633.jpg

tg2684 05-21-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyLetty (Post 3779865)
Where can I order a stubby antenna?

Got mine from amazon for $12

Bigbob2 05-21-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH (Post 3779330)

Try taking the spring out of the hood latch to stop the flutter. And it's free.

I did this too! It definately helps!

Up Hill Bill 05-21-2013 11:45 PM

Flip your rear-view mirror 180.

It's free, and improves viability to the front and rear.

jdambm 05-22-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyLetty (Post 3779865)
Where can I order a stubby antenna?

antenna x they are a supporting vendor on here:thumb:

gr8fulKID 05-22-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tg2684 (Post 3779882)
Trim the fender flares - free
Take a 4x4 and cut it about 1" wide, wrap it in Velcro for padding and it makes a great tailgate stop when parked on a hill -
More Dead Pedal - this is one of my favorites - $50 I think

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4d043161.jpg
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps767f7633.jpg

That is an awesome idea...

GonzoBobH 05-22-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY07 (Post 3779848)
Here is my short list.
Stubby antenna.

Stubby... big impact? I don't think so, and I have one.

Also, that's something about safari straps.... just a special look, but granted they're not cheap.

That's my $.01 worth of two cents (2), haha. Peace.

BobH

GonzoBobH 05-22-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3780348)
Flip your rear-view mirror 180.

It's free, and improves viability to the front and rear.

Props; that's s good one.

BobH

DIY07 05-22-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH (Post 3780444)

Stubby... big impact? I don't think so, and I have one.

Also, that's something about safari straps.... just a special look, but granted they're not cheap.

That's my $.01 worth of two cents (2), haha. Peace.

BobH

To some one with dogs that love ridding topless the straps are a large benefit.

GonzoBobH 05-22-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY07 (Post 3780776)

To some one with dogs that love ridding topless the straps are a large benefit.

I'll give you that... I don't yet have a solution for covering the area above my half doors in the back of my JKU... when the half windows are removed... still, live my safari straps, haha.

ThingsAbove 05-22-2013 11:01 AM

Stick a piece of foam or pad (I used spare bicycle helmet pads) between the seat belt and the B-pillar plastic to keep the belt from making annoying slapping noises when your topless.

woansleftpeg 05-22-2013 11:33 AM

Combined dog bed (for his comfort and the protection of my leather), concealed storage units, and potentially subwoofer enclosures. Materials required: 15 sq ft of 3/4" ply, 8 ft of 2x2, a box of woodscrews, and two cheap black floor mats. Total cost circa $35.

http://i.imgur.com/n0sE8Nc.jpg http://i.imgur.com/D6G0LSq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7F8l2hs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/aoPcU9E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DC3vrQN.jpg

enjerhoo 05-22-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocibur2 (Post 3779146)
Hi there!

I'm simply looking for lower budget modifications that you've done to your JK that have made a big difference. I'm not picky either! It can be for appearance, performance, or functionality ... no matter which category it falls under POST IT UP.

I guess everyone might have a difference in opinion on what's considered low-budget, so lets just say around $150-$200 tops for your total cost of the mod. Lets see em!

:thumb:

With that range, all of the mods on my signature except for the bumpers & PIAA lights fit the category. If I listened to FM radio regularly, I would not be too impressed with the stubby antenna since it resulted in some signal degradation going through the canyon.

MangoTango34 05-22-2013 11:38 AM

remove the front plastic air dam! It is free, and make it look so much better i think! And i dont notice a difference in MPG or anything

JackedUpMedic 05-22-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3781579)
Combined dog bed (for his comfort and the protection of my leather), concealed storage units, and potentially subwoofer enclosures. Materials required: 15 sq ft of 3/4" ply, 8 ft of 2x2, a box of woodscrews, and two cheap black floor mats. Total cost circa $35.





That's one happy looking pup....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.