Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   5 to 7 questions. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/5-to-7-questions-244203.html)

wipke 05-21-2013 06:21 PM

5 to 7 questions.

6 Attachment(s)
1. I would like to get rid of my carpet and paint, but I'm not sure what kind of paint should I use? I live on the beach so it's sandy all the time so I need something rough and won't flake off easily.

2. I've been wanting to clean my engine bay but idk what can and can't get wet and what should I beg? There's a lot of grim and dirt. So what products should I use? Can I use a hose?

3. The front passenger side wheel sits towed in I believe and is ruining my tire. What's causing it I think are these rubber bumpers, so are they easily replaced? Where do I get them?

Attachment 252015

Attachment 252016

Attachment 252020

Attachment 252021

dredg009 05-21-2013 06:26 PM

I believe it's already painted under the carpet just clean it real nice and it'll look better than the carpet. Mine was the same color as the exterior.

BLK00TJ 05-21-2013 06:26 PM

1. Monstaliner. Good durable surface and not too gritty to trap sand.
2. Simple green. I use foil or sandwich bags over air intake and alternator. Spray and squirt off with a water hose.
3. Not sure what you're asking or what the problem is.

flflash 05-21-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wipke (Post 3779343)

3. The front passenger side wheel sits towed in I believe and is ruining my tire. What's causing it I think are these rubber bumpers, so are they easily replaced? Where do I get them?

Attachment 252015

Attachment 252016

Attachment 252020

1 and 2 are pretty well handled but I will add that sand will wear the paint off pretty quickly from feet and shoes scraping on it and you dont want any bare metal at the beach, if you pull the carpet put some mats in and keep an eye on things.

As for number three are you saying that the top of the tire is leaning in? Or with the steering wheel straight the right front is turned in? Either way a good alignment shop should check it and make sure no balljoints or tie rod ends are worn out and that nothing is bent, don't just go get a Cheap Alignment get it checked.
BTW your outer U-joint is worn out and about to fail.

wipke 05-21-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flflash (Post 3779383)

As for number three are you saying that the top of the tire is leaning in? Or with the steering wheel straight the right front is turned in? Either way a good alignment shop should check it and make sure no balljoints or tie rod ends are worn out and that nothing is bent, don't just go get a Cheap Alignment get it checked.
BTW your outer U-joint is worn out and about to fail.

Yea the tire is leaning in and wearing the out side of my tire. When the steering wheel is straight yes. It seems to be the rubber spacers on the top and bottom of the arm joint?
Attachment 252015

Thxs flash I'll get right on the U-joint it started squeaking yesterday so I just put some wd40 on it for now witch stopped it for the time being.

EMTJEEP 05-21-2013 09:14 PM

I would go with Monstaliner like stated before. I had Herc and it was way to gritty and sand would get stuck even when I vacuumed.

Get some engine degreaser at your parts store and spray the whole engine down with that and spray with a hose. Just don't spray the Alternator directly with water or the degreaser. Maybe even wrap it up in plastic just for some added safety.

Those rubber bumpers are your ball joints. To check them jack up the front and see if the tire wiggles. If they are bad they can be a pain especially if you do not have the proper ball joint puller.

Have you aligned your front end? If not you can easily do it at home. Here's a link for the how to TJ Toe-in Alignment - 1 This is the write up I followed and it was done easily.