Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Windshield mounts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/windshield-mounts-244222.html)

SAFD3160 05-21-2013 08:28 PM

Windshield mounts

My friend has a 95 YJ, just bought some windshield brackets and some lights. Unfortunately, his brother tried to help him get the torx head screws out of there. Big mistake! The 2 bolts they tried getting off are stripped beyond repair. I'm just wondering how hard those are torqued down and if there are alternatives to getting something like that out. Thanks guys

sinepome 05-21-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAFD3160 (Post 3779798)
My friend has a 95 YJ, just bought some windshield brackets and some lights. Unfortunately, his brother tried to help him get the torx head screws out of there. Big mistake! The 2 bolts they tried getting off are stripped beyond repair. I'm just wondering how hard those are torqued down and if there are alternatives to getting something like that out. Thanks guys

if you can get vice grips around the head try that. If its those stupid counter sunk ones weld another bolt to it and turn it out like that. GL.

ChicoJeepy 05-22-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinepome (Post 3779974)
if you can get vice grips around the head try that. If its those stupid counter sunk ones weld another bolt to it and turn it out like that. GL.

Thanks for that helpful advice. I will surely need it in the future:thumb:

I guess trying to tap it out is out of the question?

sinepome 05-22-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicoJeepy (Post 3780588)

Thanks for that helpful advice. I will surely need it in the future:thumb:

I guess trying to tap it out is out of the question?

You can try and extractor bit but I usually don't have good luck with those. If you have a hand impact that may also work. My 2 suggestions are the easiest and work the best in my opinion.

Xpress 05-22-2013 10:32 AM

Drill them out.

They aren't necessarily torqued down, they put gap sealing crap on the backside that freezes up the bolts in place. Just drill them out and find an appropriate replacement at a local hardware store.

sevenservices 05-22-2013 10:35 AM

^ I'd drill them to.

Remember in the future, a couple things that help. One is to be sure the bit fits snug. If not, get a new bit. Second, if you scrape the paint from inside the torx bit, it will drop in much further and have less of a chance of strippage.

bruceandjo95yj 05-22-2013 10:39 AM

I replaced my bracket...had the same issues...used a grinder and cut a small slit and beat the bolt around and around until it came up far enough to get pliers on it...
please note only works if your replacing the brackets...you will cut into them

ChicoJeepy 05-22-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 3781588)
^ I'd drill them to.

Remember in the future, a couple things that help. One is to be sure the bit fits snug. If not, get a new bit. Second, if you scrape the paint from inside the torx bit, it will drop in much further and have less of a chance of strippage.

I know this is out of the blue but I swear I saw an Ebay site named after you?

Lol.:popcorn: