Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Oil change!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/oil-change-244390.html)

WranglerGirl98 05-22-2013 03:09 PM

Oil change!!!

am a fairly new wrangler owner.. Bought my 1998 4cylinder manual, back in October.. I've hit 121,000 miles and am due to change the oil... Just wondering if anyone has any tips or can tell me the best oil and filter to use.. Any help is greatly appreciated.. As I will be changing the oil myself..

Dextreme 05-22-2013 04:56 PM

4qts of any name brand 10w-30 will do. Many of us like Mobil 1 synthetic, but it's overkill.

MLaborde 05-22-2013 05:06 PM

I use Penzoil 10W-30 exclusively in all 4 of my vehicles. I've been using Fram "ToughGuard" filters lately. They seem to do just fine.

Don't fall for any high-priced oil & filter arguments. Just use a name brand oil & filter & you will be fine. Heck, you'd really be fine using a no-name if you want, as long as you change your oil regularly.

n00g7 05-22-2013 05:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Any high mileage full or 1/2 synthetic would work fine. You can also use regular dino. I use Kendal full synthetic, but I only have 50k on the clock. I change between 5-8k depending on what I've been doing to the Jeep. Usually around 7k. Filter? Whatever they hand you at NAPA when you go pick up some oil.

Atthehop 05-22-2013 05:42 PM

I go to Wally World and buy their 5qt jugs of Quaker state when on sale. I have access to OEM filters at wholesale so they cost me the same as any quality aftermarket filter. Just change it often. I do mine every 3k and my last 4 vehicles had original engines at 200k+ when I got rid of themandnone of them were smudged or burned oil. Everyone had an opinion but like they say opinions are like a$$holes.........

Big Cole 05-22-2013 07:06 PM

Buy whatever name brand is on sale.

hud12 05-22-2013 07:16 PM

I agree with most previous suggestions in terms of oil, however i dispute the "whatever is on sale"! Motors are like humans internally what you put in is what you get in return, if you continually change product your engine becomes uncomfortable with the inconsistancy, similar to eating healthy then eating some fast food, how do you feel. yes for all of you pokin fun i like transformers and they are human, just gotta treat you prize with love

kfdjason7620 05-22-2013 07:21 PM

I use the Napa semi synthetic and Napa filter, been using it for years now. And change every 5k miles

Big Cole 05-22-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud12 (Post 3783041)
I agree with most previous suggestions in terms of oil, however i dispute the "whatever is on sale"! Motors are like humans internally what you put in is what you get in return, if you continually change product your engine becomes uncomfortable with the inconsistancy, similar to eating healthy then eating some fast food, how do you feel. yes for all of you pokin fun i like transformers and they are human, just gotta treat you prize with love

These are not picky high performance engines. A quality brand name oil is sufficient. I would never run generic oil in my rig. Now my chevelle is a different story. I run 9 quarts of the same oil and change it every 300 miles.

Huelsmma 05-22-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cole (Post 3783091)

These are not picky high performance engines. A quality brand name oil is sufficient. I would never run generic oil in my rig. Now my chevelle is a different story. I run 9 quarts of the same oil and change it every 300 miles.

Lets see a picture of this bad boy! My dream car was always a chevelle or '69 charger

Big Cole 05-23-2013 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. 69 chevelle with a 425 HP small block, 12 bolt with 4.10 gears and a spool, th350 with full manual valve body.

Attachment 252563

cork1958 05-23-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLaborde (Post 3782690)
I use Penzoil 10W-30 exclusively in all 4 of my vehicles. I've been using Fram "ToughGuard" filters lately. They seem to do just fine.

Don't fall for any high-priced oil & filter arguments. Just use a name brand oil & filter & you will be fine. Heck, you'd really be fine using a no-name if you want, as long as you change your oil regularly.

I'd agree with all of this post EXCEPT using that crap wax based Pennzoil junk!! If you like oil that turns into looking like milk, then OK, use that junk. Other wise, good ol' Quaker State 10w30 is perfect.

No need for any of the highly over rated synthetic or high mileage oil either.

cork1958 05-23-2013 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cole (Post 3783091)

Sweet looking ride there, Big Cole!!

9 quarts and 300 miles?

Something there has to be a typo?

Use 4.5 quarts of good ol' QS 10w30 and change oil every 3000 miles in my 66 Plymouth Satellite.

ninjaturtle0 05-23-2013 09:08 AM

I use VR1 dino. they had a sale at orielly for 3.99 per qt
High zinc non high milage for flat tappet engines

Big Cole 05-23-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork1958 (Post 3784679)

Sweet looking ride there, Big Cole!!

9 quarts and 300 miles?

Something there has to be a typo?

Use 4.5 quarts of good ol' QS 10w30 and change oil every 3000 miles in my 66 Plymouth Satellite.

I have a 9 quart oil pan and only drive the chevelle about 600 miles per year. Change the oil in march then again on September prior to winter storage. BTW, great looking satellite. Bet that is a fun ride.

AFS-LEE 05-23-2013 09:46 AM

10w 30 royal purple with k&n filter

Jerry Bransford 05-23-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork1958 (Post 3784670)
I'd agree with all of this post EXCEPT using that crap wax based Pennzoil junk!!

Old long-gone problems die a slow death. Pennzoil hasn't been paraffin based since 1997 when they made the switch to their current paraffin-free "Pure Base" formulation. Pennzoil's Pure Base oil is as good as any of them.

n00g7 05-23-2013 11:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFS-LEE (Post 3784971)
10w 30 royal purple with k&n filter

I wonder if k&n's oil filter needs another filter to filter before it filters like on the intake.

Jerry Bransford 05-23-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3785285)
I wonder if k&n's oil filter needs another filter to filter before it filters like on the intake.

I'm no fan of K&N's air filters but their oil filter is very good... not that I would pay the exorbitant price they want for it. :eek: But to be sure, other oil filters filter just as well if not better for less $$$ than the price for a K&N. :)

MLaborde 05-23-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork1958 (Post 3784670)
If you like oil that turns into looking like milk, then OK, use that junk.

eh?

My oil never looks bad, even when it's time for a change.

EDIT: Just saw Jerry's response to your post.

Scout0718 05-23-2013 03:32 PM

I always use the same brand oil in mine, Castrol

Snacktical 05-23-2013 07:05 PM

Oil is oil as long as you put in the correct amount and correct weight-10W-30 is what I've used. Same goes for the oil filter-as long as it is the correct size and doesn't leak down the road (remember to use a drop on the o-ring before installing).
A couple of tips for DIY changes:
1) Keep an eye on your oil pan drain plug-if the head starts to round or get damaged pick up a new one along with the oil and oil filter.
2) Make sure you do not over-tighten the oil drain plug or the oil filter! Hand tighten both, and give an extra 1/8th turn with a wrench. If you tighten down the oil filter too much you will have one helluva time getting it off come the next oil change.
Hope this helps! :)

Gixxer86g 05-23-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 3782782)
I have access to OEM filters at wholesale so they cost me the same as any quality aftermarket filter.

The good ole' "090". :thumb:

I did Mopar parts for 12 years. First at Brunner in Verona, Wayne Dodge, then 23 Dodge.

cork1958 05-24-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3785280)
Old long-gone problems die a slow death. Pennzoil hasn't been paraffin based since 1997 when they made the switch to their current paraffin-free "Pure Base" formulation. Pennzoil's Pure Base oil is as good as any of them.

Quick lube place was out of Quaker State last time I had my oil changed in my Grand Prix and I actually let them put Pennzoil in it. It may not be a paraffin based wax anymore, or at least not as concentrated as it used to be, but the crap is more milky looking than any Quaker State that's ever been in it!

Going to get it changed today, before the long weekend and the ride up north, but it still has almost 900 miles to go before it has 3000 miles on that oil change.

You are the ONLY person I've EVER heard admitting to use that stuff. Can't believe they're still in business even as nobody I know uses it.

To each his own though. If it works for you, cool!! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cole (Post 3784963)
I have a 9 quart oil pan and only drive the chevelle about 600 miles per year. Change the oil in march then again on September prior to winter storage. BTW, great looking satellite. Bet that is a fun ride.

I figured you were going to say you had some monster oil pan and the stuff. Just wanted to double check!!

600 miles a year?! What's the sense of having it? I put that many miles on my Mopar in a week. More on some good weather weeks. Just rolled over 100,000 miles last week and still as strong as day one!

Jerry Bransford 05-24-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork1958 (Post 3788113)
Quick lube place was out of Quaker State last time I had my oil changed in my Grand Prix and I actually let them put Pennzoil in it. It may not be a paraffin based wax anymore, or at least not as concentrated as it used to be, but the crap is more milky looking than any Quaker State that's ever been in it!

Yes you were indeed wrong about Pennzoil still being paraffin based and you're either still living in the past or in denial about that brand of oil. Incidentally, most engine oil bases used to be paraffin based, not just Pennzoil.

Go pour a little of each (Quaker State & Pennzoil) into a clear container and tell us which looks the clearest... you'd probabaly see that the current Pure Base Pennzoil is as clear as (or clearer than) Quaker State or any other good quality engine oil you'll find. I'll guarantee you couldn't look at either and figure out which is which. I don't run either brand, Pennzoil or Quaker State, so I really don't care about either but I know enough about both to know they are as good as the Valvoline I use.

cork1958 05-25-2013 05:07 AM

Whether it's clearer in a jar from the start or not, I still will never use that junk, on any kind of a regular basis, and do not anyone other than you, that does. Also, whether it's not parafin based as much as it used to be and I still live in the past or not, Pennzoil is junk!

End of conversation, on my part. Use what ever you wish to use. Same goes to OP. Most oils are decent enough to use, as long as it's a detergent oil.

hud12 05-27-2013 03:31 PM

bottom line is ALL OIL has to meet the same specs for manufacturing the only diffierence is what additive pack they use for additonal coverage! eveyone has there own flavor no different then Ford Chevy Dodge or my fav JEEP! it would be very short sided of anyone to say any particular oil is "junk", you may say you do not prefer it, enjoy your day

doclouie 05-27-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud12 (Post 3797431)
bottom line is ALL OIL has to meet the same specs for manufacturing the only diffierence is what additive pack they use for additonal coverage! eveyone has there own flavor no different then Ford Chevy Dodge or my fav JEEP! it would be very short sided of anyone to say any particular oil is "junk", you may say you do not prefer it, enjoy your day

Well said and the same can be said about gasoline too.

n00g7 05-27-2013 07:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 3797604)
Well said and the same can be said about gasoline too.

I disagree. Less the additives it's the same out of the truck into the station's tanks, but to trust billybobs gas shack over a chevron to have those tanks checked often and free of contaminants is insanity.

The last time I got a bad tank of gas from a chevron: never.

From billybobs gas shack in podunk N/S Dakota and Montana, all too often.

s14sh3r 05-27-2013 07:13 PM

I use Quaker 10w30 and Napa Gold oil filter.