Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How capable is my stock 2007 JKU...further questions inside. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-capable-is-my-stock-2007-jku-further-questions-inside-244398.html)

DrLecter90210 05-22-2013 02:43 PM

How capable is my stock 2007 JKU...further questions inside.
 
Ok,

So here's what I'm thinking I have a new to me stock jku 2007 x. I love love love it. I've piddled around with it on some dirt roads and also crawl geared up my steep driveway with just engine and no gas (it's a manual).

So my question is two parts.

1. How capable are the stocker wranglers? Can you guys show some pics of your stockers doing some cool stuff?

2. I'm thinking of doing my mods in this order.
a. Winch (for if I'm too stock for something)
b. Skid Plates Additional armor
c. 2.5 Inch lift kit and 33's

Other than that I plan on keeping things pretty simple but still want to wheel in north and south georgia, east tennessee etc.

Thoughts?

redbilly 05-22-2013 02:51 PM

I think that tires should be the first thing you consider along with whatever lift is necessary to accomodate them. The stock sra's stink on anything but pavement. Get a decent set of MT's and kick up some red clay!

Out of the box, your Wrangler is very capable, with great clearance, suspension and breakover angles. It's also very conducive to modification! Tires will get you to where you can use your winch!

DrLecter90210 05-22-2013 02:56 PM

I've got some geolanders that came on it. They're pretty ok.

X-Truck-Owner 05-22-2013 02:57 PM

You will be amazed at how capable these things are plain old stock! I have now put 33 M/T on 15 inch rims (they do fit by the way) am about to trim my fender flares this weekend and have added tow points and a tow hitch. I have been in mud up to my headlights and climbed a 45 degree mud slope, my Jeep handled it with ease. I have done some light rock crawling, but due to concern over my body panels I didn't do anything too big on the rocks...rock sliders are my birthday wish. When you drop it into 4LO and put it in 1st gear, you will be unstoppable. The lift you are going with is a good height it will alleviate your need to trim your flares and change out your bumper, my flares and bumper are chewed, because I didn't lift mine when I upgraded tires, so they will be trimmed and stubified, respectively. Enjoy your new toy, I sure am!

ThingsAbove 05-22-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210 (Post 3782417)
Ok,

So here's what I'm thinking I have a new to me stock jku 2007 x. I love love love it. I've piddled around with it on some dirt roads and also crawl geared up my steep driveway with just engine and no gas (it's a manual).

So my question is two parts.

1. How capable are the stocker wranglers? Can you guys show some pics of your stockers doing some cool stuff?

2. I'm thinking of doing my mods in this order.
a. Winch (for if I'm too stock for something)
b. Skid Plates Additional armor
c. 2.5 Inch lift kit and 33's

Other than that I plan on keeping things pretty simple but still want to wheel in north and south georgia, east tennessee etc.

Thoughts?

I took my stock 2012 Sport JKU to OHV trails at the Uwharrie last year. I scraped up the transfer case skid nicely and scraped and dented the gas tank skid but it made it through. A friend in a stock Raptor didn't fare as well (bent stuff). So stock Jeeps are more capable than stock off-road trucks all other things being equal.

redbilly 05-22-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210 (Post 3782462)
I've got some geolanders that came on it. They're pretty ok.

Are they the Geolander A/T-S?

KurtVW 05-22-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210 (Post 3782417)
Ok,

1. How capable are the stocker wranglers? Can you guys show some pics of your stockers doing some cool stuff?

2. I'm thinking of doing my mods in this order.
a. Winch (for if I'm too stock for something)
b. Skid Plates Additional armor
c. 2.5 Inch lift kit and 33's

Winch should be low on your priority list for a lot of reasons - not the least of which being that it adds a bunch of weight to the front of your truck, and it might make you more willing to take silly risks that you shouldn't be taking. Winch is really a 'last resort' tool when everything else has gone bad. A little brain work can go a long way to avoiding 'bad'.

Entry level recovery gear is a good shovel, and a hilift jack. A winch is great, if you can afford it, but shouldn't be considered a bonafide necessity especially in your early days. If you're in a situation where a winch might be necessary, you should probably consider going home and coming back with other jeepers to help out.

Definitely consider getting a full set of recovery straps, shakels, etc even if you don't winch up just yet, because there is fair odds that the other trucks with you will have one... Or at worst can simply pull you out with straps.

Lift and tires go first... Those two alone will do a fine job of preventing the winch being needed. But memory is that you can fit 33's under the JK easily without a lift.

Skid-plates - Again, adds a fair bit of weight, so you want to consider that against the kind of driving you're likely to do..

How capable are they stock... In well trained hands VERY. If you're looking to explore the backroads, fire roads, goat trails, they do that really well. Just take it slow and THINK... Always think.

live_slow 05-22-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210 (Post 3782462)
I've got some geolanders that came on it. They're pretty ok.

What terrain is in your plan? What area of the country you wheeling?

DrLecter90210 05-22-2013 03:53 PM

Southeast. Georgia Tennessee Alabama North Carolina. Etc.

DrLecter90210 05-22-2013 03:53 PM

Keep in mind I've had 4x4s in the past just wanted to know more about what you guys were doing with stock.

jkjeeper06 05-22-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210 (Post 3782643)
Keep in mind I've had 4x4s in the past just wanted to know more about what you guys were doing with stock.

It is the most capable 4x4 in stock form. That is hard to debate anything else. So as far as stock, nothing should beat it in what it's made for, without driver error. On the dunes and stuff, other things will beat it, as Independent suspension can keep the wheels planted better at high speeds in sand. Other than that the wrangler is king

Btw I have the geolandar AT-s too and love them. I don't do tons of mud, so they fit my needs of rock crawling and wooded trails pretty well

live_slow 05-22-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210 (Post 3782642)
Southeast. Georgia Tennessee Alabama North Carolina. Etc.

Since you've got some plans in mind, the order is up to you.

Normally recovery and protection are near the top. Expense of a winch can wait if with a group, maybe.

Also check out the "lifting in steps" discussion here for some ideas.

I'd be looking at more aggressive tire, maybe take offs to tide you over?

Abnormal-JK 05-22-2013 04:56 PM

Biggest thing... is to pre-think the move before you make it, whether in the dirt, or on the mod.....

KurtVW 05-22-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live_slow (Post 3782816)
Normally recovery and protection are near the top. Expense of a winch can wait if with a group, maybe.

In case it sounded like I was down playing the need for recovery gear, thats not what I meant... It definitely should be a priority. I simply meant that a winch is a pretty expensive piece, and can be a dangerous tool. Before we start slinging around those kinds of massive forces, everything else should be tried first. Thus, winch is fantastic to have, but there are usually other methods that will work fine and allow you to bury your money into performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210
Keep in mind I've had 4x4s in the past just wanted to know more about what you guys were doing with stock.

Ok, to address that more directly - I'm mostly a trail runner, and I've never actually run up against anything that I thought was beyond the capability of the stock truck (with the exception of the cruddy stock tires that are best on the street). This includes scaling steep tight ravines around southern california mostly, in one seasonal creek near me there is a very steep exit over a boulder that was quite a bit taller than my bumper level, went right up it dead stock, no problem.

In another case a steep loose pumice hill with pretty bad ruts, etc. (that one took some patience, lockers would have been helpful, and the stock tires were not really up to the task, but I made it).

Everything I have done to mine so far is directed at safety, or at extending capability for things I want to check out later. I'm aiming for more of an overland build because thats what I'm likely to do most. In that type of build, a half a ton of skidplates doesn't really add much capability for me. So its not on the menu. I can use that weight on extra battery, winch later on, and for camp gear...

Its all about what you want your truck to do, there are a million different approaches to the build.

tom h 05-22-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLecter90210 (Post 3782417)
Ok,

So here's what I'm thinking I have a new to me stock jku 2007 x. I love love love it. I've piddled around with it on some dirt roads and also crawl geared up my steep driveway with just engine and no gas (it's a manual).

So my question is two parts.

1. How capable are the stocker wranglers? Can you guys show some pics of your stockers doing some cool stuff?

2. I'm thinking of doing my mods in this order.
a. Winch (for if I'm too stock for something)
b. Skid Plates Additional armor
c. 2.5 Inch lift kit and 33's

Other than that I plan on keeping things pretty simple but still want to wheel in north and south georgia, east tennessee etc.

Thoughts?

I was in your situation in 2010 and by now feel like a veteran. I bought a stock 2007 JK. You will very, very few limitations unless you want to start doing extreme stuff.

I live in San Diego and we have some very rough, rocky country out here. I used the standard tires for 2.5 years and never had any limitations. So, while mud tires look incredibly cool (and believe me, I wished I'd had them for that reason) I didn't get them until I hit 60K miles on the factory 4 season tires.

My recommendations in order:

1. Buy a compressor that runs off the car battery. You'll want to air down whenever you go offroad. You'll regret buying a cheap one. Spend $180 and get the VIAIR 400, which will air up from 15 to 40 psi in 3 minutes for each tire.

2. CB radio for communicating with fellow jeepers on a run. Get the one from Cobra with all the electronics in the handset; saves mounting a box.

3. Tow hooks for the front bumper, if not already provided.

4. Tow hook for the back bumper.

5. High-lift jack and mount. Depending on how aggressive you plan on being, this could substitute for the winch, at least until you get more confident and try more aggressive trails.

6. Lockers for the front -- you already have the LSD on the rear. I purchased the Aussie "lunchbox" locker which is fire for my rig. Costs $300 plus $150 to install. Way cheaper than the $4,000 lockers.

7. Lift the vehicle. The poor man's lift kit is the 2" leveling kit from Teraflex. It'll cost many thousands for the higher lifts, and 2" is fine for 33" tires.

8. Larger tires. I did a huge amount of online research and settled on the BFG Mud Terrain KM2s. On sale they are as low as $230. You'll also need new rims (wheels) for them, around $100 each on the low end.

9. Steel bumpers and the winch. I have not done this yet but it's my next big purchase. I'm guessing the entire package for this will be $2,000-$2,500.

Hope this helps! Good luck wheeling, and if you want some true adventure come out to San Diego and give me a call! Way more cool out here.

DrLecter90210 05-22-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom h (Post 3783155)

I was in your situation in 2010 and by now feel like a veteran. I bought a stock 2007 JK. You will very, very few limitations unless you want to start doing extreme stuff.

I live in San Diego and we have some very rough, rocky country out here. I used the standard tires for 2.5 years and never had any limitations. So, while mud tires look incredibly cool (and believe me, I wished I'd had them for that reason) I didn't get them until I hit 60K miles on the factory 4 season tires.

My recommendations in order:

1. Buy a compressor that runs off the car battery. You'll want to air down whenever you go offroad. You'll regret buying a cheap one. Spend $180 and get the VIAIR 400, which will air up from 15 to 40 psi in 3 minutes for each tire.

2. CB radio for communicating with fellow jeepers on a run. Get the one from Cobra with all the electronics in the handset; saves mounting a box.

3. Tow hooks for the front bumper, if not already provided.

4. Tow hook for the back bumper.

5. High-lift jack and mount. Depending on how aggressive you plan on being, this could substitute for the winch, at least until you get more confident and try more aggressive trails.

6. Lockers for the front -- you already have the LSD on the rear. I purchased the Aussie "lunchbox" locker which is fire for my rig. Costs $300 plus $150 to install. Way cheaper than the $4,000 lockers.

7. Lift the vehicle. The poor man's lift kit is the 2" leveling kit from Teraflex. It'll cost many thousands for the higher lifts, and 2" is fine for 33" tires.

8. Larger tires. I did a huge amount of online research and settled on the BFG Mud Terrain KM2s. On sale they are as low as $230. You'll also need new rims (wheels) for them, around $100 each on the low end.

9. Steel bumpers and the winch. I have not done this yet but it's my next big purchase. I'm guessing the entire package for this will be $2,000-$2,500.

Hope this helps! Good luck wheeling, and if you want some true adventure come out to San Diego and give me a call! Way more cool out here.

Dude that sounds awesome. I appreciate the advice and the invite.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.